Raleigh Rod Brakes - Last manuf in 19??

--
mark
"Bob" wrote...
> When did Raleigh stop building 3-spd bikes with rod brakes ?

I remember seeing a 3-speed bike w/ rod brakes in Berkeley around 1980, it
didn't look that old at the time. The owner informed me that it was a copy
of the bicycle used by British postmen, so I'm guessing it was a Raleigh or
other British make. That would put rod brakes in production until about the
mid '70s in the UK.

Nitto apparently still supplies rod brakes for Japanese postal service
bikes, so they're still around.
--
mark

mark wrote:
>I remember seeing a 3-speed bike w/ rod brakes in

Berkeley >.around 1980, it
>didn't look that old at the time. The owner informed me
>that it was a copy
>of the bicycle used by British postmen, so I'm guessing it
>was a Raleigh or
>other British make. That would put rod brakes in

production >until about the
>mid '70s in the UK.

>Nitto apparently still supplies rod brakes for Japanese
>postal service
>bikes, so they're still around.

Roadster brakes are still made by dozens of third world (
or "NIC"?) vendors. Raleigh last built the DL-1 model at
Nottingham in 1985.

We and others who sell roadsters have rod brake spares.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org