Raleigh Super Lenton

I hope this is not too esoteric but my curiosity has been aroused by a
frame which I recently acquired. I understand that the Super Lenton
first appeared in 1952 and lasted until 1957. Judging from the frame
number (T238447) and the absence of chrome forks and rear stays I have
an early 1952 frame. The catalogues state that it came in two colours
(electric blue and lustre orange). Mine is neither; it is more of a
deep red. Indeed, it could be flamboyant carmine which was used on the
1950s Lenton Sports (and possibly the Clubman which the Super Lenton
replaced). Does anyone know if other colours were used on the early
'Supers' or where I might find out (tried Retro Raleighs and most of
the usual suspects on the Internet). The frame shows no sign of having
been repainted and has the original decals.

[email protected] wrote:
> I hope this is not too esoteric but my curiosity has been aroused by a
> frame which I recently acquired. I understand that the Super Lenton
> first appeared in 1952 and lasted until 1957. Judging from the frame
> number (T238447) and the absence of chrome forks and rear stays I have
> an early 1952 frame. The catalogues state that it came in two colours
> (electric blue and lustre orange). Mine is neither; it is more of a
> deep red. Indeed, it could be flamboyant carmine which was used on the
> 1950s Lenton Sports (and possibly the Clubman which the Super Lenton
> replaced). Does anyone know if other colours were used on the early
> 'Supers' or where I might find out

I have a Raleigh catalogue from around 1952 (the catalogue is not dated,
but it lists Reg Harris's victories up to 1951). This lists the Super
Lenton in a choice of Flamboyant Electric Blue or Lustre Royal Carmine.
Front and rear fork ends are chromed however.

> The frame shows no sign of having
> been repainted and has the original decals.

It would seem most likely that Raleigh switched colours before
introducing the chromed forks and you machine was produced in the
intervening period.

--
Andrew

Naqerj wrote:
> > I have a Raleigh catalogue from around 1952 (the catalogue is not dated,

> but it lists Reg Harris's victories up to 1951). This lists the Super
> Lenton in a choice of Flamboyant Electric Blue or Lustre Royal Carmine.
> Front and rear fork ends are chromed however.
>
> > The frame shows no sign of having
> > been repainted and has the original decals.
> >

> It would seem most likely that Raleigh switched colours before
> introducing the chromed forks and you machine was produced in the
> intervening period.
>
> --
> Andrew

Many Thanks. This goes a long way to solving the 'mystery'. Curiosity
sated.

Mike