Raleigh Technium

jjstrive

Jan 3, 2011
Hey everyone, I recently just bought a Raleigh Technium bike for $80. Did I buy it at a good price? Any input would be much appreciated.

I can't really tell from the photo. You are the only one who can answer your question though. There are four things that you really need to answer to see if it was a good deal.

First: does it fit you? Riding a bike that is the wrong size can become sheer torture, in which case the bike is worthless.

Second: are you happy with it? If you are not happy riding it, then once again, it is worthless.

Third: is the saddle comfortable? If not, a new saddle can cost anywhere from half the price of the bike to more than triple the price of the bike.

Fourth: are you a competent bike mechanic? If not, you will probably have to get this bike tuned up at your LBS, usually around $120.00 which means that your $80.00 bike is now a $200.00 bike.

Originally Posted by jjstrive .

Hey everyone, I recently just bought a Raleigh Technium bike for $80. Did I buy it at a good price? Any input would be much appreciated.
While a picture may be a 1000 words, as kdelong has observed , the paricular picture does not tell the observer very much about the specific bike.

If it does happen to fit you AND it is in reasonably good working condition, then it was probably a reasonably good deal ...

If it doesn't fit you AND/OR there is a great deal of work that needs to be done to make it roadworthy, then it depends on whether-or-not you can do the majority of the work yourself ...

Regardless, you should probably consider buying a copy of ZINN AND THE ART OF ROAD BIKE MAINTENANCE and/or ZINN AND THE ART OF MOUNTAIN BIKE MAINTENANCE ... your public library may have these in their collection.

BTW. Sight unseen (for all intents & purposes), I reckon you got a good deal ...

• I'm presuming your Raleigh has 700c wheels/tires
  • Personally, I love Hybrid bikes which have rigid foks ([COLOR= #808080]which is what your bike appears to be[/COLOR])

So, if I were looking for a bike(-frame), I would probably have been willing to pay $80+ for the particular bike.