raleigh the winer

mel 1979

Sep 2, 2013
i have recently bought a ragleigh winner bike in need of restoration .i went to halfords the other day as im looking for a front wheel nut for it.the sizes they had there were all too big the lowest they went down to was a 9mm i think the bike needs a 8mm but i dont really know can anyone help as im stuck in limbo before i even start and i cant find it on google at at all.many thanks

If you are not doing a "period restoration" & simply want to restore the bike to functionality then you should check with your Local Bike Shop (LBS) for the replacement hardware ...

• bring the wheel with you so that THEY know precisely what you are in search of

If they don't have it, check with another.

If the search turns out to be futile, then you may find that it could be less expensive (in time spent) to buy a replacement front hub and then cannibalize it ...

• if that is the case then you may want to swap out the axle & bearings
  • OR, if you are ambitious, then consider re-lacing the wheel onto the 'new' hub
  • of course, the last-resort scenario involves actually replacing the entire wheel.

alfeng said:
If you are not doing a "period restoration" & simply want to restore the bike to functionality then you should check with your Local Bike Shop (LBS) for the replacement hardware ...  
yes let them help you with the accessories, then take the hardware parts back home and perform the job, don't forget that for certain jobs you need specific bike tools,