Raleigh winner 10 speed bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by mtbill, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. mtbill

    mtbill New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2003
    I bought this older, (I think 1980's) Raliegh 10 speed race rep. bicycle @ a thrift shop for $25. It was bought in England for it had the decale of the shop where it was purchased. The serial number start with a "NP". :It has italian derailers etc. It is called Raliegh Winner. The bike is in almost new condition. Is bike rare?, for I can't find find anything on it on the internet. Would anybody know anything about this bike?

    Thanks Bill

    Tags:

  2. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    mtbill <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I bought this older, (I think 1980's) Raliegh 10 speed race rep. bicycle @ a thrift shop for $25.
    > It was bought in England for it had the decale of the shop where it was purchased. The serial
    > number start with a "NP". It has italian derailers etc. It is called Raliegh Winner. The bike is
    > in almost new condition. Is bike rare?,

    It is rare now, because almost all others like it have been thrown away. $25 is about right for a
    'shite old bike'! Alan.
    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk off-road cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  3. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    mtbill wrote:
    > I bought this older, (I think 1980's) Raliegh 10 speed race rep. bicycle @ a thrift shop for $25.
    > It was bought in England for it had the decale of the shop where it was purchased. The serial
    > number start with a "NP".
    >> It has italian derailers etc. It is called Raliegh Winner. The bike is
    > in almost new condition. Is bike rare?, for I can't find find anything on it on the internet.
    > Would anybody know anything about this bike?

    The Raleigh Winner was common as muck when I was at school. I had a Peugeot.

    A shit, secondhand, Peugeot (which was eventually knicked outside Tesco in Poole), but at least it
    wasn't a Raleigh.

    Simonb

  4. "A.Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1g3dk7p.58eanv1h692pyN%[email protected]...
    > mtbill <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I bought this older, (I think 1980's) Raliegh 10 speed race rep. bicycle @ a thrift shop for
    > > $25. It was bought in England for it had the decale of the shop where it was purchased. The
    > > serial number start with a "NP". It has italian derailers etc. It is called Raliegh Winner. The
    > > bike is in almost new condition. Is bike rare?,
    >
    > It is rare now, because almost all others like it have been thrown away. $25 is about right for a
    > 'shite old bike'! Alan.

    A bit harsh, but it made me laugh so much I hurt my ribs :)

    Dave.

  5. Ian

    Ian Guest

    David Lowther must be edykated coz e writed:

    > "A.Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1g3dk7p.58eanv1h692pyN%[email protected]...
    >> mtbill <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought this older, (I think 1980's) Raliegh 10 speed race rep. bicycle @ a thrift shop for
    >>> $25. It was bought in England for it had the decale of the shop where it was purchased. The
    >>> serial number start with a "NP". It has italian derailers etc. It is called Raliegh Winner. The
    >>> bike is in almost new condition. Is bike rare?,
    >>
    >> It is rare now, because almost all others like it have been thrown away. $25 is about right for a
    >> 'shite old bike'! Alan.
    >
    > A bit harsh, but it made me laugh so much I hurt my ribs :)
    >
    > Dave.

    Makes you think though, when I was a kid a 10 speed racer with double chainrings was the dogs nuts!
    Then 15 speed came along with triple chainrings, now you can have a 10 speed with a single
    chainring.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    mtbill <[email protected]> writes:

    > I bought this older, (I think 1980's) Raliegh 10 speed race rep. bicycle @ a thrift shop for $25.
    > It was bought in England for it had the decale of the shop where it was purchased. The serial
    > number start with a "NP". :It has italian derailers etc. It is called Raliegh Winner. The bike is
    > in almost new condition. Is bike rare?, for I can't find find anything on it on the internet.
    > Would anybody know anything about this bike?

    I don't remember the 'Winner' particularly but Raleigh did in those days make some nice bikes (as
    well as a lot which were not so good). The good ones will mostly have a Reynolds badge on the frame
    somewhere (there were some titanium frames but they're very rare). If the tubing is 531 it's good;
    if it's 753 or 853 it's _very_ good. See

    do not sail on uphill water
    - Bill Lee

  7. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "A.Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1g3dk7p.58eanv1h692pyN%[email protected]...
    > mtbill <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I bought this older, (I think 1980's) Raliegh 10 speed race rep. bicycle @ a thrift shop for
    > > $25. It was bought in England for it had the decale of the shop where it was purchased. The
    > > serial number start with a "NP". It has italian derailers etc. It is called Raliegh Winner. The
    > > bike is in almost new condition. Is bike rare?,
    >
    > It is rare now, because almost all others like it have been thrown away. $25 is about right for a
    > 'shite old bike'! Alan.
    > --
    > Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk off-road cycling in the
    > North Midlands.

    That's it Alan, make everyone feel welcome.

    --
    Mark (MSA)

    Bike shop assistant... "We couldn't repair your brakes, so we made your horn louder"!

  8. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > I don't remember the 'Winner' particularly but Raleigh did in those days make some nice bikes (as
    > well as a lot which were not so good). The good ones will mostly have a Reynolds badge on the
    > frame somewhere (there were some titanium frames but they're very rare). If the tubing is 531 it's
    > good; if it's 753 or 853 it's _very_ good. See

    My Raleigh Pioneer frame is labelled CroMoly 4130 which is similar to 725 according to that link.

  9. mtbill wrote:

    > I bought this older, (I think 1980's) Raliegh 10 speed race rep. bicycle @ a thrift shop for $25.
    > It was bought in England for it had the decale of the shop where it was purchased. The serial
    > number start with a "NP". :It has italian derailers etc. It is called Raliegh Winner. The bike is
    > in almost new condition. Is bike rare?, for I can't find find anything on it on the internet.
    > Would anybody know anything about this bike?

    Common as muck, but I rather like old 10 speeds. The chain has a smoothness you don't get with 7/8/9
    speed. The brakes always suck though.

  10. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    MSA <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "A.Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:1g3dk7p.58eanv1h692pyN%[email protected]...
    > > mtbill <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I bought this older, (I think 1980's) Raliegh 10 speed race rep. bicycle @ a thrift shop for
    > > > $25. It was bought in England for it had the decale of the shop where it was purchased. The
    > > > serial number start with a "NP". It has italian derailers etc. It is called Raliegh Winner.
    > > > The bike is in almost new condition. Is bike rare?,
    > >
    > > It is rare now, because almost all others like it have been thrown away. $25 is about right for
    > > a 'shite old bike'! Alan.

    > That's it Alan, make everyone feel welcome.

    What am I meant to say? Its a really cheap old bike, that was poorly built? Or something a bit more
    positive: It will be good for going to the shops/leaving outside work all day,as old bikes like this
    are rarely stolen?

    I had a Raleigh from the early eighties, and they were rubbish.The only good things Raleigh did then
    were the true 'Competition' models, that were put together with quality components, with decent
    frames. The basic models had very poor quality hubs,those awful spokes that rust after 6
    months,steel rims probably,frames that were made of thick plain guage steel pipe, a saddle that was
    a one piece plastic moulded to the rails(which also invariably rusted after being in the rain
    twice),steel handlebars.I could go on.The best thing I ever did was buy a Dawes in 1984 - it cost me
    4 weeks wages then, which was a sum unheard of in our area for a bike, and it lasted in good
    condition for years, even though the quality of the bike was nowhere near the good quality of todays
    'decent' bikes. Alan.