Raliegh - Pannier rack thread size - 6-32?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ktjensen, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Ktjensen

    Ktjensen Guest

    Can anyone tell me what the typicle thread size would be for the pannier rack mounting eyes on a
    Raliegh Bicycle? It is an old one, but I was not sure if it would be metric or english, and what
    size it would be? I can not seem to find the right size bolt.

    These are the small eyes on the bicycle frame used to mount the support bars of the rear
    mounted rack.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Grey

    Pete Grey Guest

    Typically, rack braze-ons are 5mm. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but this has been true across
    many US and foreign frames I've seen, over 20 years or so.

    -pete

    "ktjensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone tell me what the typicle thread size would be for the pannier rack mounting eyes on a
    > Raliegh Bicycle? It is an old one, but I was not sure if it would be metric or english, and what
    > size it would be? I can not seem to find the right size bolt.
    >
    > These are the small eyes on the bicycle frame used to mount the support bars of the rear
    > mounted rack.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "ktjensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone tell me what the typicle thread size would be for the pannier rack mounting eyes on a
    > Raliegh Bicycle? It is an old one, but I was not sure if it would be metric or english, and what
    > size it would be? I can not seem to find the right size bolt.
    >
    > These are the small eyes on the bicycle frame used to mount the support bars of the rear
    > mounted rack.

    Japanese-built Raleighs from Tano, Taiwan Raleighs from Merida and Ilkeston-built Raleighs with
    Campagnolo ends will all use normal metric m5x0.8 bolts - the same size as a water bottle mount.

    A few less expensive model Taiwan Raleighs and Rampars use m6x1.0 screws.

    If your ends are pressed 5mm thick and the rack/mudguard eyelet is _below_ the axle, it's a
    Nottingham-built bike with Whitworth threading. Early models had a screw and nut, later bikes came
    with a nice stud and a nut on the outside. The size is 1/8 - 28 ( Whitworth bolts are sized by the
    _wrench size_ which is the radius, not the diameter).

    Since this is so close to a normal M5 bolt I would just run a 5mm tap through it, pass a
    lubricated bolt from the inside through the end, and use a nylock nut on the outside. The closest
    SAE size is 10-32.

  4. Ktjensen

    Ktjensen Guest

    Thanks for the great info!! Amazing response!! I thought it would take days for a practical answer.

    Kev Wallingford, Connecticut