Raliegh - Pannier rack thread size - 6-32?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ktjensen, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ktjensen

Ktjensen Guest

Can anyone tell me what the typicle thread size would be for the pannier rack mounting eyes on a
    Raliegh Bicycle? It is an old one, but I was not sure if it would be metric or english, and what
    size it would be? I can not seem to find the right size bolt.

These are the small eyes on the bicycle frame used to mount the support bars of the rear
    mounted rack.

Tags:

2. Pete Grey

Pete Grey Guest

Typically, rack braze-ons are 5mm. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but this has been true across
    many US and foreign frames I've seen, over 20 years or so.

-pete

"ktjensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone tell me what the typicle thread size would be for the pannier rack mounting eyes on a
    > Raliegh Bicycle? It is an old one, but I was not sure if it would be metric or english, and what
    > size it would be? I can not seem to find the right size bolt.
    >
    > These are the small eyes on the bicycle frame used to mount the support bars of the rear
    > mounted rack.

3. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"ktjensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone tell me what the typicle thread size would be for the pannier rack mounting eyes on a
    > Raliegh Bicycle? It is an old one, but I was not sure if it would be metric or english, and what
    > size it would be? I can not seem to find the right size bolt.
    >
    > These are the small eyes on the bicycle frame used to mount the support bars of the rear
    > mounted rack.

Japanese-built Raleighs from Tano, Taiwan Raleighs from Merida and Ilkeston-built Raleighs with
    Campagnolo ends will all use normal metric m5x0.8 bolts - the same size as a water bottle mount.

A few less expensive model Taiwan Raleighs and Rampars use m6x1.0 screws.

If your ends are pressed 5mm thick and the rack/mudguard eyelet is _below_ the axle, it's a
    Nottingham-built bike with Whitworth threading. Early models had a screw and nut, later bikes came
    with a nice stud and a nut on the outside. The size is 1/8 - 28 ( Whitworth bolts are sized by the
    _wrench size_ which is the radius, not the diameter).

Since this is so close to a normal M5 bolt I would just run a 5mm tap through it, pass a
    lubricated bolt from the inside through the end, and use a nylock nut on the outside. The closest
    SAE size is 10-32.

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

4. Ktjensen

Ktjensen Guest

Thanks for the great info!! Amazing response!! I thought it would take days for a practical answer.

Kev Wallingford, Connecticut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.