Raliegh SS

RWBCustom

Aug 31, 2005
Just looking for opinions on the Raliegh single speed (I forgot the model name, and it isn't listed on their web page).

I've been riding for decades and finnally have gathered the currage, with the help of others deciding to go into winter on Singles for training. It appears to be a rather good deal with flip flop rear (fixed/freewheel), front and rear brakes all for under 600.

P.S. just found this Glorious site! How have I missed it all these years of internet searching.

Cheers to all
E

Yes that is the bike I'm asking about.

I'm looking for riding impresions and component choices (good / bad / otherwise) and what people think of the $/satisfaciton ratio (good value or not).

Hopefully I'll have the oportunity soon to try one in person, but there are some caviats. I'm essentially looking for a Fix/SS (combined hub) bike that I can outfit with fenders (and extensions as it gets realy wet here) as a winter ride. Hopefully it will provide the training I need to improve my abilities.... forceing me to ride harder on hills and up my cadence, as I find myself puttering in a high gear when I get tired and not spinning.

If you have any impressions let me know.

Cheers

Thanks for the links. I went and got it Friday. Rode it in the lot after they assembeled it (thourough job, trued wheels (worked over well like they were building them up from scrach) removed BB and replaced etc etc.) but found the 48/15 free wheel to be too tall (I haven't gone to the fixed side yet as this is my first SS). Bill at the shop looked arround and swaped out the 15 for an 18, added some links to the chain and it was just right.

Put some fenders on it (it's wet out here and there is nothing worse than riding a pace line in the rain with others that don't have full fenders), removed the WARNING stikers....arg, and swaped the pedals out for Looks.

Went on the Sunday ride, was able to keep up on the little hills and in the pace line, taking my turn. I've got to spend more time thinking and practicing rolling through the turns while spinning, before I swap over to the fixed side. I find that the noise from the free wheel is loud on a SS, everything else is so quiet, so I'll have to switch to fixed asap.
My only issue was that by the end of the ride, as I pressed harder (paceing 25mph) I found the BB or something down there was making a Ping Ping Ping noise that only went away when I reduced pedal pressure. So I took it back to the shop and they went through the simple issues with no luck, so they took it back and will go through it again with a fine tooth comb this week.

It's a lovely ride though, I thought I'd have problems, get dropped, but it's stiffer than my regular ride and climbs great and with the gear (48/18) I can still manage a good pull at 25 in the pace line. I may need to match the gearing when others join me with fixies for the winter rides (44/16 or at least something under 70 inches). It's not twitchy, yet is crisp, I think it's the stout forks that make up for it. I never did use the drops though and the pict's with the bull bars looked cool, so maybe an alteration is in order in the comming months.

Cheers

Hey, a question:

I'm pretty interested in this bike but...how'd you do the fenders? I know the bike has no eyelets on the forks or seat stays for mounting. What kind of fender did you use and how did you mount them?

I live near Seattle. Fenders are a must.

Hope the bike is working out for you.

Thanks.

RWBCustom said:
Thanks for the links. I went and got it Friday. Rode it in the lot after they assembeled it (thourough job, trued wheels (worked over well like they were building them up from scrach) removed BB and replaced etc etc.) but found the 48/15 free wheel to be too tall (I haven't gone to the fixed side yet as this is my first SS). Bill at the shop looked arround and swaped out the 15 for an 18, added some links to the chain and it was just right.

Put some fenders on it (it's wet out here and there is nothing worse than riding a pace line in the rain with others that don't have full fenders), removed the WARNING stikers....arg, and swaped the pedals out for Looks.

Went on the Sunday ride, was able to keep up on the little hills and in the pace line, taking my turn. I've got to spend more time thinking and practicing rolling through the turns while spinning, before I swap over to the fixed side. I find that the noise from the free wheel is loud on a SS, everything else is so quiet, so I'll have to switch to fixed asap.
My only issue was that by the end of the ride, as I pressed harder (paceing 25mph) I found the BB or something down there was making a Ping Ping Ping noise that only went away when I reduced pedal pressure. So I took it back to the shop and they went through the simple issues with no luck, so they took it back and will go through it again with a fine tooth comb this week.

It's a lovely ride though, I thought I'd have problems, get dropped, but it's stiffer than my regular ride and climbs great and with the gear (48/18) I can still manage a good pull at 25 in the pace line. I may need to match the gearing when others join me with fixies for the winter rides (44/16 or at least something under 70 inches). It's not twitchy, yet is crisp, I think it's the stout forks that make up for it. I never did use the drops though and the pict's with the bull bars looked cool, so maybe an alteration is in order in the comming months.

Cheers

crismatthews said:
Hey, a question:

I'm pretty interested in this bike but...how'd you do the fenders? I know the bike has no eyelets on the forks or seat stays for mounting. What kind of fender did you use and how did you mount them?

I live near Seattle. Fenders are a must.

Hope the bike is working out for you.

Thanks.
Well it's been a year now and 3000 miles on it. Yes Fenders in the PNW are a must! I'm In OLY and ride with CBC.

I got a pair of fenders from the LBS (BIKE STAND) and made modifications to them to mount appropriately.

Front: It fit's just fine using the atatchment for the Brake bolt, but the fork ends (as you noted) required the use of some Electrical (black) tape and then Zip ties to hold the plastic (ends) for the wire brackets for the fender.

Rear: I broke the metal bracket that atatches to the Brake bolt. So I used a dremel tool and drilled 2 smal holes and looped a Zip tie through and secured. I put electrical tape on the seat tube 1-2 " above the BB and Zip Tie the metal clip in place. The Wire brackets are also zip tied over Electrical tape so as to hold the fender in place.

Something I have added are extensions to the fenders as the stock ones are just too short for thouse following. So I cut out the shapped corners on 2 plastic Gal milk containers and drilled holes for Zip ties in the fender and extensions (Front and back). They don't scrape the ground but to collect 80% of the spray.

Cheers and safe riding in the wet! Them damb leaves are slippery!