Ramping up running after bike crash injury

Frank

Guest
Hello,
About 4 weeks ago, I was one of three riders who went down in a cycling
training ride. My right hip took the majority of the impact (the remaining
impact managed to snap a finger). Anyway, the pain in my hip prevented me
from cycling and running for 3.5 weeks. The good news is that I'm spending
much more time at the Masters Swim workouts.

Prior to the crash, I was running 3 days a week (more than that causes shin
splints) with a long run on Monday (10 miles), track work on Wed (5-6 mi
total), and short run on Friday (5 miles). I was increasing my distance by
about 10%/week with the goal of a 1/2 IM at the end of Oct. I did my first
run since the accident on Friday (short 3 miler). It felt good and there
was no pain, but my right leg muscles were definitely weak and a little sore
the next day. My question is this, can I accelerate the 10-15% per week
rule a bit when trying to ramp up my distance for the half IM to get me back
where I was? I have only been off less than a month. I know getting ready
for this with only 5 weeks left is going to be challenging, but I'd like to
try since I already missed two smaller races because of the accident and
it's the last one of the season.

thanks for any help,
Frank

Frank wrote:

> Hello,
> About 4 weeks ago, I was one of three riders who went down in a cycling
> training ride. My right hip took the majority of the impact (the
> remaining
> impact managed to snap a finger). Anyway, the pain in my hip prevented me
> from cycling and running for 3.5 weeks. The good news is that I'm
> spending much more time at the Masters Swim workouts.

Coincidentally I failed to keep the rubber side down in rather spectacular
fashion last Saturday week so I know how you feel (ouch!). I was forced to
take the week off but have now gotten back into it without much noticeable
loss of fitness.

> the next day. My question is this, can I accelerate the 10-15% per week
> rule a bit when trying to ramp up my distance for the half IM to get me
> back
> where I was? I have only been off less than a month. I know getting
> ready for this with only 5 weeks left is going to be challenging, but I'd
> like to try since I already missed two smaller races because of the
> accident and it's the last one of the season.

According to what I've read it takes between 4 and 12 weeks to *lose* your
fitness and return to pre-training levels. As you've had less than four
weeks off you probably haven't lost too much.

I would *bend* the 10% rule but, to avoid injury, listen to your body and
cut back or stop if it doesn't feel right.

I still have a bandaged arm but the staples are out of my head, most of my
rashes and bruises are clearing up and, best of all, I'm back out there
spinning and striding :) Not allowed back in the pool/ocean yet though :-(

Good luck, keep the faith,
Brad

> I still have a bandaged arm but the staples are out of my head, most of my
> rashes and bruises are clearing up and, best of all,

I used to roadrace motorcycles. Those guys thought they were pretty
macho going back out after a high-side crash but most of the injuries
there were less than what I see in cycling. Dat's asphalt's hard on us :)

Eric wrote:

> Dat's asphalt's hard on us :)

Amen to that brother ;-)

Brad,
You were right on maintaing my fitness - I was able to do a short but
"spirited" 45 mile ride yesterday with just a little pain telling me when to
back off, but still managed to hang with the fast group without too much
difficulty. I tried increasing my run to 4 miles today, again with a little
pain on the hills causing me to slow it down, but not too bad. I'll try 5
mi on Wed and 5 or 6 mi on Friday and go from there. The bike seems to
better than the run, so maybe about 60 mi next weekend is possible. Of
course by then I should have another week of "healing".

thanks,
Frank

news:[email protected]...