Ran over a snake

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by John Henderson, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Yesterday afternoon I ran over a brown snake (a bit under a metre long) on a bike path in suburban
    Canberra (Kaleen).

    It was moving quite fast across the path, and I couldn't avoid
    it. I saw that it stopped and raised its head as if to strike just as I went over it. I had just
    taken my feet off the pedals (was wearing sandals), although I think it was too small to have
    posed any danger to me. But it could have been a much bigger specimen...

    Looking back saw it disappearing off the path behind me.

    I don't remember ever even seeing a snake at close quarters before when cycling (bushwalking is
    another matter). Maybe I should wear shoes :)

    Anyone else had a similar experience?

    John

    Tags:

  2. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "John Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yesterday afternoon I ran over a brown snake (a bit under a metre long) on a bike path in suburban
    > Canberra (Kaleen).
    >
    > Anyone else had a similar experience?

    hehe yeah :) Riding around Studley Park, Yarra river kinda trails just east of Melbourne...

    Three of us riding the singletrack around there. I was up front and it was a nice fast bit so I was
    moving.. well.. fast! I saw the snake and hit the brakes, then I realised I was going too fast to
    stop in time and decided to hop over it. Only managed to get the front wheel over and ran over the
    top of it with my back wheel. I yelled "SNAKE!" but the guys thought I yelled "BRAKE!" and didn't
    know why.. but they stopped in time - I think because it had sat up and was going to have a go at
    anyone that came near it. We watched it for a bit until it calmed down and continued down, across
    the path. It was a tiger snake, maybe 1m long, perhaps more.

    hippy

  3. "John Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yesterday afternoon I ran over a brown snake (a bit under a metre long) on a bike path in suburban
    > Canberra (Kaleen).
    >
    > It was moving quite fast across the path, and I couldn't avoid
    > it. I saw that it stopped and raised its head as if to strike just as I went over it. I had just
    > taken my feet off the pedals (was wearing sandals), although I think it was too small to have
    > posed any danger to me. But it could have been a much bigger specimen...
    >
    > Looking back saw it disappearing off the path behind me.
    >
    > I don't remember ever even seeing a snake at close quarters before when cycling (bushwalking is
    > another matter). Maybe I should wear shoes :)
    >
    > Anyone else had a similar experience?
    >
    > John

    I was in the RNP doing some x country training. I was running up the trail from Audley to Engadine
    (a rather steep climb) when I nearly trod on a brown snake. It took off one way and I ran the
    other! LOL....From then on every stick or branch laying on the trail was a brown snake as far as I
    was concerned!

  4. Bob Chambers

    Bob Chambers Guest

    Don't for a minute think that you'd be safe if a small brown snake bit you - keep getting your feet
    out of the way - they are very poisonous.
    --
    Bob Chambers "John Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yesterday afternoon I ran over a brown snake (a bit under a metre long) on a bike path in suburban
    > Canberra (Kaleen).
    >
    > It was moving quite fast across the path, and I couldn't avoid
    > it. I saw that it stopped and raised its head as if to strike just as I went over it. I had just
    > taken my feet off the pedals (was wearing sandals), although I think it was too small to have
    > posed any danger to me. But it could have been a much bigger specimen...
    >
    > Looking back saw it disappearing off the path behind me.
    >
    > I don't remember ever even seeing a snake at close quarters before when cycling (bushwalking is
    > another matter). Maybe I should wear shoes :)
    >
    > Anyone else had a similar experience?
    >
    > John

  5. Ray

    Ray Guest

    > Looking back saw it disappearing off the path behind me.
    >
    > I don't remember ever even seeing a snake at close quarters before when cycling (bushwalking is
    > another matter). Maybe I should wear shoes :)
    >
    > Anyone else had a similar experience?

    Spied one about 2 weeks ago at the north end of the Merri Trail near Pipeworks.

    First decent hot day and the reptiles were out :)

    Was about 1m long black snake.

    Certainly makes you think about watching the track a bit closer.

    Cheers Ray

  6. Marty

    Marty Guest

    > I was in the RNP doing some x country training. I was running up the trail from Audley to
    > Engadine (a rather steep climb) when I nearly trod on a brown snake. It took off one way and I
    > ran the other! LOL....From then on every stick or branch laying on the trail was a brown snake as
    > far as I was concerned!

    I've done the same thing. Everything in the bush suddenly comes alive, and your heart races in a big
    adrenaline rush.

    Marty

  7. Boz

    Boz Guest

    First time I ever found a brown snake outside of a zoo was the day I rode over it - I did NOT
    stop!!! I might be a Pom but I'm not that stupid....

    Boz

    "Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Looking back saw it disappearing off the path behind me.
    > >
    > > I don't remember ever even seeing a snake at close quarters before when cycling (bushwalking is
    > > another matter). Maybe I should wear shoes :)
    > >
    > > Anyone else had a similar experience?
    > >

    > Spied one about 2 weeks ago at the north end of the Merri Trail near Pipeworks.
    >
    > First decent hot day and the reptiles were out :)
    >
    > Was about 1m long black snake.
    >
    > Certainly makes you think about watching the track a bit closer.
    >
    > Cheers Ray

  8. jhuskey

    jhuskey Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2003
    Messages:
    10,607
    I tried to run over my ex- wife a couple of times but she moved into the bushes too quickly.I probably should not do the comparison. It is demeaning to the entire snake population.

  9. Paul_MCMLIX

    Paul_MCMLIX New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2003

    Specimen? Isn't a specimen an Italian astronaut?

  10. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    When you run over a snake and crush it's inside, they die very, very slowly if they get away. It's the same as if they have a big feed and take along time to digest their prey. They digest themselves from the inside out ver, very slowly.

    I used to see black snakes, tigers and adders on my way home from work on the Gold Coast. Coombabah Environmental Reserve on the Gold Coast was full of them. I'd just get of the bike and chase them off the road so they wouldn't get run over. The adders are the worst cause they're small and harder to see, but they're really slow to react.

  11. On 27 Nov 2003 01:30:43 +1050, jhuskey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >John Henderson wrote:
    > > Yesterday afternoon I ran over a brown snake (a bit under a metre long) on a bike path in
    > > suburban Canberra (Kaleen). It was moving quite fast across the path, and I couldn't avoid
    > > it. I saw that it stopped and raised its head as if to strike just as I went over it. I had
    > > just taken my feet off the pedals (was wearing sandals), although I think it was too small
    > > to have posed any danger to me. But it could have been a much bigger specimen... Looking
    > > back saw it disappearing off the path behind me. I don't remember ever even seeing a snake
    > > at close quarters before when cycling (bushwalking is another matter). Maybe I should wear
    > > shoes :) Anyone else had a similar experience? John
    >

    >I tried to run over my ex- wife a couple of times but she moved into the bushes too quickly.I
    >probably should not do the comparison. It is demeaning to the entire snake population.

    The most important thing is that you're not bitter about it.
    ---
    DFM

  12. flynn

    flynn New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2003
    Used to do a lot of riding around Canberra as a boy and had a friend who was cycling in front of me up Caswell Drive in Aranda and Brown snake went between his wheels. Quite freaked him out! Was the only time I have come as close on a bike.

  13. gravelmuncher

    gravelmuncher New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    In western NSW at this time of year, there seem to be as many Brown's as there are birds. Big ones are not so bad 'cause they're a bit easier to see. Unfortunately, a 30cm model is just as poisonous as a 180cm model. Personally though, i'm more paranoid of spiders. A couple of years ago I fell victim to a big female redback whilst cleaning out the back shed to put kids-stuff in. I have never been so messed up and hope to never be again.

    Incy-wincy can drown for all I care.

    ~j~

  14. John Henderson wrote:

    > Yesterday afternoon I ran over a brown snake (a bit under a metre long) on a bike path in suburban
    > Canberra (Kaleen).
    >
    > Anyone else had a similar experience?

    I nearly t-boned a kangaroo while test riding a recumbent around the southern side of the canberra
    lake yesterday.

    It was doing the bolt across the path, I hadn't seen it at first, just heard it jumping through
    the scrub. Didn't think anything of it till it cleared the shorter scrub at the edge of the path.

    By the time I could react, it was long gone.
    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org

  15. unfortuanelty if they can become entagled in your spokes they can come stright at you in a mess of
    snake arms, toes and heads. you panic in a mess of arms and legs.

  16. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "John Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yesterday afternoon I ran over a brown snake (a bit under a metre long) on a bike path in suburban
    > Canberra (Kaleen).
    >
    > It was moving quite fast across the path, and I couldn't avoid
    > it. I saw that it stopped and raised its head as if to strike just as I went over it. I had just
    > taken my feet off the pedals (was wearing sandals), although I think it was too small to have
    > posed any danger to me. But it could have been a much bigger specimen...
    >
    > Looking back saw it disappearing off the path behind me.
    >
    > I don't remember ever even seeing a snake at close quarters before when cycling (bushwalking is
    > another matter). Maybe I should wear shoes :)
    >
    > Anyone else had a similar experience?

    After reading this, I nearly ran over an 80cm tiger snake riding home last night. The first snake I
    have ever see riding! (although it was pretty warm riding at about 4:30pm yesterday).

    I had just riden through about 8km of single track along the yarra as well, without seeing anything.

    Tim

  17. cin

    cin New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2003
    ive just moved to country victoria and in the last week i have nearly ran over a turtle and a blue tounge lizard and it got me thinking about snakes because i often drive past them in the car. would a snake have time to strike you if you ran over it?

  18. Balthasar

    Balthasar Guest

    cin <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > ive just moved to country victoria and in the last week i have nearly ran over a turtle and a blue
    > tounge lizard and it got me thinking about snakes because i often drive past them in the car.
    > would a snake have time to strike you if you ran over it?

    Hmmmmm, have you ever heard the saying 'madder than a cut snake' ;)

  19. "cin" wrote:

    > ive just moved to country victoria and in the last week i have nearly ran over a turtle and a blue
    > tounge lizard and it got me thinking about snakes because i often drive past them in the car.
    > would a snake have time to strike you if you ran over it?

    More than enough time - have you ever seen how quick their reflexes are?

    I was watching the one I ran over until the front wheel hit it. I was doing about 24 km/h. About a
    metre before I hit it, it stopped and raised its head to strike (could give a new meaning to the
    term "snakebite puncture").

    I believe they've got to be a certain size to be able give you a bite that'll get the venom in,
    unless you're unlucky enough to be bitten on a finger or toe.

    John

  20. Jake

    Jake Guest

    I can bunny hop about 3/4 ft high. I never see anyone else doing it round the city but its such a
    convenient technique to navigate the pedestrian/automobile nuinces.