Random acts of kindness

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by theGoat, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. theGoat

    theGoat New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004
    Cheers to the delivery guy in Flinders lane this morning who as he came around the front of his truck to jump back in the cab, saw me passing between the truck and stationary traffic and went back around the front of the truck to let me through rather than opening the door in my face.

    I guess while certain groups of people have a prevailing attitude toward cyclists you can't make too many generalisations.

    Tags:

  2. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    theGoat wrote:

    > Cheers to the delivery guy in Flinders lane this morning who as he came
    > around the front of his truck to jump back in the cab, saw me passing
    > between the truck and stationary traffic and went back around the front
    > of the truck to let me through rather than opening the door in my face.
    >
    > I guess while certain groups of people have a prevailing attitude
    > toward cyclists you can't make too many generalisations.
    >
    > --
    > theGoat

    Given the number of incredibly stupid people I encountered as I drove to
    uni today, and while I drove the other night (there has been local
    flooding in BrisVegas and the Gold Coast), your story has restored my
    faith somewhat.

    T *sigh*

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Given the number of incredibly stupid people I encountered as I drove to
    > uni today, and while I drove the other night (there has been local
    > flooding in BrisVegas and the Gold Coast), your story has restored my
    > faith somewhat.

    <rant>
    What happened to "keep left unless overtaking"? Now that I'm
    driving to the track again I realise how many dicks there are in
    cars. Perfect day, new-ish 4wd, drives alongside slow truck and
    frickin' sits there, 10kph or more below the speed limit, even with
    the truck, while ~20 cars are stuck behind. No wonder road rage
    exists..
    Oh, and here's a hint Mr and Mrs Driver.. use your frickin indicators
    once in a frickin while!!!
    Fsckers reckon I'm a hassle on a bike.. now _I've_ got a tonne
    of steel around me! bwahahahahaha!
    </rant>

    hippy

  4. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Given the number of incredibly stupid people I encountered as I drove to
    > > uni today, and while I drove the other night (there has been local
    > > flooding in BrisVegas and the Gold Coast), your story has restored my
    > > faith somewhat.

    > <rant>
    > What happened to "keep left unless overtaking"? Now that I'm
    > driving to the track again I realise how many dicks there are in
    > cars. Perfect day, new-ish 4wd, drives alongside slow truck and
    > frickin' sits there, 10kph or more below the speed limit, even with
    > the truck, while ~20 cars are stuck behind. No wonder road rage
    > exists..
    > Oh, and here's a hint Mr and Mrs Driver.. use your frickin indicators
    > once in a frickin while!!!
    > Fsckers reckon I'm a hassle on a bike.. now _I've_ got a tonne
    > of steel around me! bwahahahahaha!
    > </rant>
    >
    > hippy

    Yeah, I've noticed some police cars on the SE freeway in the mornings,
    don't know if it's to help make people drive faster, but there's this
    tendency for people to panick and slow to 10km/h below the speed limit,
    even if sitting in the RH lane. I had so many people tailgating in the
    wet last night (11pm) and this morning, shits me to tears. Nah, I just
    slow down, more and more and more until they drop back or change lanes.
    Enforce that safe stopping distance!

  5. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    A shocking incident from last week still has me reeling. While attempting to cross Johnston St in Abbotsford, a rather large TNT truck travelling in the opposite direction slowed & the driver waved me across the road. Chivalry is not quite dead yet!

  6. On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:19:15 +1100, cfsmtb
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >theGoat Wrote:
    >>
    >> I guess while certain groups of people have a prevailing attitude
    >> toward cyclists you can't make too many generalisations.

    >A shocking incident from last week still has me reeling. While
    >attempting to cross Johnston St in Abbotsford, a rather large TNT truck
    >travelling in the opposite direction slowed & the driver waved me across
    >the road. Chivalry is not quite dead yet!

    Yay!

    Have you sent them an email?

    It might encourage other drivers.

    --
    Regards.
    Richard.

  7. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Yeah, I've noticed some police cars on the SE freeway in the mornings,
    > don't know if it's to help make people drive faster, but there's this
    > tendency for people to panick and slow to 10km/h below the speed limit,
    > even if sitting in the RH lane. I had so many people tailgating in the
    > wet last night (11pm) and this morning, shits me to tears. Nah, I just
    > slow down, more and more and more until they drop back or change lanes.
    > Enforce that safe stopping distance!

    During the day, turn your lights on, to make the
    tailgater think you are braking..

    hippy

  8. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Yeah, I've noticed some police cars on the SE freeway in the mornings,
    > > don't know if it's to help make people drive faster, but there's this
    > > tendency for people to panick and slow to 10km/h below the speed limit,
    > > even if sitting in the RH lane. I had so many people tailgating in the
    > > wet last night (11pm) and this morning, shits me to tears. Nah, I just
    > > slow down, more and more and more until they drop back or change lanes.
    > > Enforce that safe stopping distance!

    > During the day, turn your lights on, to make the
    > tailgater think you are braking..
    >
    > hippy

    It's pissing down raining, so my lights are already on. I do tap the
    brakes though, the lights come on before the brakes do, and it's an
    auto.