Random Bike Stuff: Shop, Commute, Captain America..

King of the Barneys

CBro's Avatar

So I get a call from this bike shop...

and I don't know what's going on. What's he want? The owner, a more or
less renowned mechanic, (and great wheel builder) leaves a message, so
I call him back, introduce myself, and wait... Then he breaks the
awkward silence and says he's returning my call. Whaaaatt?? I search
the hard drive of my tired brain, and it comes to me! I called this
guy 12 months ago, and he's all of a sudden good and ready to return
the call.

I remind him that I left a couple messages for him about a year ago,
and he apologizes, says he's been busy, yadda, yadda, yadda. Can you
believe it?

OK, one more senseless bit of trivia. I'm on my 4th week of being
voluntarily car-less. Bike commuting to work and where I need to go,
and kinda loving it. Can't remember when I last drove the 4Runner or
put gas in it. I borrow the wife's rig when I need to take the kids
somewhere, but otherwise, it's kinda cool to be dependent on ole left
leg and right leg to get me there and back.

Here's another story from last night. I walk into Starbucks with my
loud, stars and stripes jersey on, (you fellow Barneys know the one),
and all these heads turn and stare. So I proudly address my cadre of
admirers, "As a matter of fact, I am Captain America!"

End of stories. Back to your usual Trolls.

CDB

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> King of the Barneys
>
> CBro's Avatar
>
> So I get a call from this bike shop...
>
> and I don't know what's going on. What's he want? The owner, a more or
> less renowned mechanic, (and great wheel builder) leaves a message, so
> I call him back, introduce myself, and wait... Then he breaks the
> awkward silence and says he's returning my call. Whaaaatt?? I search
> the hard drive of my tired brain, and it comes to me! I called this
> guy 12 months ago, and he's all of a sudden good and ready to return
> the call.
>
> I remind him that I left a couple messages for him about a year ago,
> and he apologizes, says he's been busy, yadda, yadda, yadda. Can you
> believe it?
>
> OK, one more senseless bit of trivia. I'm on my 4th week of being
> voluntarily car-less. Bike commuting to work and where I need to go,
> and kinda loving it. Can't remember when I last drove the 4Runner or
> put gas in it. I borrow the wife's rig when I need to take the kids
> somewhere, but otherwise, it's kinda cool to be dependent on ole left
> leg and right leg to get me there and back.
>
> Here's another story from last night. I walk into Starbucks with my
> loud, stars and stripes jersey on, (you fellow Barneys know the one),
> and all these heads turn and stare. So I proudly address my cadre of
> admirers, "As a matter of fact, I am Captain America!"
>
> End of stories. Back to your usual Trolls.
>
> CDB

He said "Captain America" hu hu hu hu hu

?

I guess getting a call back a year later is better than no call back???

kind of reminds me of myself and an espresso machine part I sent to a guy to
have repaired.....six months ago and never followed up on it.

Glad to hear somebody is on their bike.

Gary

On Oct 11, 9:18 am, "GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > King of the Barneys

> > CBro's Avatar

> > So I get a call from this bike shop...

> > and I don't know what's going on. What's he want? The owner, a more or
> > less renowned mechanic, (and great wheel builder) leaves a message, so
> > I call him back, introduce myself, and wait... Then he breaks the
> > awkward silence and says he's returning my call. Whaaaatt?? I search
> > the hard drive of my tired brain, and it comes to me! I called this
> > guy 12 months ago, and he's all of a sudden good and ready to return
> > the call.

> > I remind him that I left a couple messages for him about a year ago,
> > and he apologizes, says he's been busy, yadda, yadda, yadda. Can you
> > believe it?

> > OK, one more senseless bit of trivia. I'm on my 4th week of being
> > voluntarily car-less. Bike commuting to work and where I need to go,
> > and kinda loving it. Can't remember when I last drove the 4Runner or
> > put gas in it. I borrow the wife's rig when I need to take the kids
> > somewhere, but otherwise, it's kinda cool to be dependent on ole left
> > leg and right leg to get me there and back.

> > Here's another story from last night. I walk into Starbucks with my
> > loud, stars and stripes jersey on, (you fellow Barneys know the one),
> > and all these heads turn and stare. So I proudly address my cadre of
> > admirers, "As a matter of fact, I am Captain America!"

> > End of stories. Back to your usual Trolls.

> > CDB

> He said "Captain America" hu hu hu hu hu
>
> ?
>
> I guess getting a call back a year later is better than no call back???
>
> kind of reminds me of myself and an espresso machine part I sent to a guy to
> have repaired.....six months ago and never followed up on it.
>
> Glad to hear somebody is on their bike.
>
> Gary

I cancelled my Barney Ride group last night (not sure why) and joined
another group, did a great ride on the SS. Met some new folks, the
conditions were perfect. Day after a rain, so the trails were
slightly tacky which helped on the standing climbs.

Had one of those cool SS experiences. I was in an old wifebeater
shirt, plain black shorts, on the old retro-SS. I only knew 1 guy
(on a SS, too) in the new group, and to spite the funny looks asking
"who's the doof?" we took the lead on the climbs and ending up waiting
a long time way up on top. Having my friend push me was good--I was
hurting to keep going. For a few folks, it was there first time
riding with the wild breed, and couldn't figure it out. "How'd day
doo dat?"

CDB

[email protected] wrote:
> On Oct 11, 9:18 am, "GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

>>> King of the Barneys
>>> CBro's Avatar
>>> So I get a call from this bike shop...
>>> and I don't know what's going on. What's he want? The owner, a more or
>>> less renowned mechanic, (and great wheel builder) leaves a message, so
>>> I call him back, introduce myself, and wait... Then he breaks the
>>> awkward silence and says he's returning my call. Whaaaatt?? I search
>>> the hard drive of my tired brain, and it comes to me! I called this
>>> guy 12 months ago, and he's all of a sudden good and ready to return
>>> the call.
>>> I remind him that I left a couple messages for him about a year ago,
>>> and he apologizes, says he's been busy, yadda, yadda, yadda. Can you
>>> believe it?
>>> OK, one more senseless bit of trivia. I'm on my 4th week of being
>>> voluntarily car-less. Bike commuting to work and where I need to go,
>>> and kinda loving it. Can't remember when I last drove the 4Runner or
>>> put gas in it. I borrow the wife's rig when I need to take the kids
>>> somewhere, but otherwise, it's kinda cool to be dependent on ole left
>>> leg and right leg to get me there and back.
>>> Here's another story from last night. I walk into Starbucks with my
>>> loud, stars and stripes jersey on, (you fellow Barneys know the one),
>>> and all these heads turn and stare. So I proudly address my cadre of
>>> admirers, "As a matter of fact, I am Captain America!"
>>> End of stories. Back to your usual Trolls.
>>> CDB

>> He said "Captain America" hu hu hu hu hu
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I guess getting a call back a year later is better than no call back???
>>
>> kind of reminds me of myself and an espresso machine part I sent to a guy to
>> have repaired.....six months ago and never followed up on it.
>>
>> Glad to hear somebody is on their bike.
>>
>> Gary

> I cancelled my Barney Ride group last night (not sure why) and joined
> another group, did a great ride on the SS. Met some new folks, the
> conditions were perfect. Day after a rain, so the trails were
> slightly tacky which helped on the standing climbs.
>
> Had one of those cool SS experiences. I was in an old wifebeater
> shirt, plain black shorts, on the old retro-SS. I only knew 1 guy
> (on a SS, too) in the new group, and to spite the funny looks asking
> "who's the doof?" we took the lead on the climbs and ending up waiting
> a long time way up on top. Having my friend push me was good--I was
> hurting to keep going. For a few folks, it was there first time
> riding with the wild breed, and couldn't figure it out. "How'd day
> doo dat?"
>
> CDB

It's always fun to do that! I love coming upon or riding mine with
people who haven't seen anyone ride a SS before.
Always an eye opener. Although I usually don't ride in a wife beater
shirt. Maybe I should get some of those...

Matt

[email protected] wrote:

> OK, one more senseless bit of trivia. I'm on my 4th week of being
> voluntarily car-less. Bike commuting to work and where I need to go,
> and kinda loving it. Can't remember when I last drove the 4Runner or
> put gas in it. I borrow the wife's rig when I need to take the kids
> somewhere, but otherwise, it's kinda cool to be dependent on ole left
> leg and right leg to get me there and back.

Nice, very nice.

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On Oct 12, 8:50 am, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > OK, one more senseless bit of trivia. I'm on my 4th week of being
> > voluntarily car-less. Bike commuting to work and where I need to go,
> > and kinda loving it. Can't remember when I last drove the 4Runner or
> > put gas in it. I borrow the wife's rig when I need to take the kids
> > somewhere, but otherwise, it's kinda cool to be dependent on ole left
> > leg and right leg to get me there and back.

> Nice, very nice.
>
> Greg

We need to get CDB on a fixie and turn him into a hipster doofus.

[email protected] wrote:
> Had one of those cool SS experiences. I was in an old wifebeater
> shirt, plain black shorts, on the old retro-SS. I only knew 1 guy
> (on a SS, too) in the new group, and to spite the funny looks asking
> "who's the doof?" we took the lead on the climbs and ending up waiting
> a long time way up on top. Having my friend push me was good--I was
> hurting to keep going. For a few folks, it was there first time
> riding with the wild breed, and couldn't figure it out. "How'd day
> doo dat?"

I get both the "who's the doof" and "who's this old fart" looks with
the bunch I've been running with lately. That is until they realize
no matter how hard they try to keep up, most can't. Then it's the
"what's your name again?" deal.

JD

On Oct 13, 7:25 am, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 8:50 am, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > OK, one more senseless bit of trivia. I'm on my 4th week of being
> > > voluntarily car-less. Bike commuting to work and where I need to go,
> > > and kinda loving it. Can't remember when I last drove the 4Runner or
> > > put gas in it. I borrow the wife's rig when I need to take the kids
> > > somewhere, but otherwise, it's kinda cool to be dependent on ole left
> > > leg and right leg to get me there and back.

> > Nice, very nice.

> > Greg

> We need to get CDB on a fixie and turn him into a hipster doofus.
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Had one of those cool SS experiences. I was in an old wifebeater
> > shirt, plain black shorts, on the old retro-SS. I only knew 1 guy
> > (on a SS, too) in the new group, and to spite the funny looks asking
> > "who's the doof?" we took the lead on the climbs and ending up waiting
> > a long time way up on top. Having my friend push me was good--I was
> > hurting to keep going. For a few folks, it was there first time
> > riding with the wild breed, and couldn't figure it out. "How'd day
> > doo dat?"

> I get both the "who's the doof" and "who's this old fart" looks with
> the bunch I've been running with lately. That is until they realize
> no matter how hard they try to keep up, most can't. Then it's the
> "what's your name again?" deal.
>
> JD

LOL.

I'm probably ready for a fixie. They're everywhere downtown here.
I'll look into converting my old steel Bianchi road bike. After all,
once a SS'er.... (you know the rest)

CDB

On Oct 13, 12:18 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Oct 13, 7:25 am, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Nice, very nice.

> > > Greg

> > We need to get CDB on a fixie and turn him into a hipster doofus.

> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Had one of those cool SS experiences. I was in an old wifebeater
> > > shirt, plain black shorts, on the old retro-SS. I only knew 1 guy
> > > (on a SS, too) in the new group, and to spite the funny looks asking
> > > "who's the doof?" we took the lead on the climbs and ending up waiting
> > > a long time way up on top. Having my friend push me was good--I was
> > > hurting to keep going. For a few folks, it was there first time
> > > riding with the wild breed, and couldn't figure it out. "How'd day
> > > doo dat?"

> > I get both the "who's the doof" and "who's this old fart" looks with
> > the bunch I've been running with lately. That is until they realize
> > no matter how hard they try to keep up, most can't. Then it's the
> > "what's your name again?" deal.

> > JD

> LOL.
>
> I'm probably ready for a fixie. They're everywhere downtown here.
> I'll look into converting my old steel Bianchi road bike. After all,
> once a SS'er.... (you know the rest)
>
> CDB

I'm blaming Corvus and Gordo for the error of my ways. Last night I
placed in the top ten in a street race here in Gel-A that had over 90
entrants. The best part of that? I was just rollin' and having fun.

JD healing up nicely

On Oct 14, 8:27 am, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 13, 12:18 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > We need to get CDB on a fixie and turn him into a hipster doofus.

> > > I get both the "who's the doof" and "who's this old fart" looks with
> > > the bunch I've been running with lately. That is until they realize
> > > no matter how hard they try to keep up, most can't. Then it's the
> > > "what's your name again?" deal.

> > > JD

> > LOL.

> > I'm probably ready for a fixie. They're everywhere downtown here.
> > I'll look into converting my old steel Bianchi road bike. After all,
> > once a SS'er.... (you know the rest)

> > CDB

> I'm blaming Corvus and Gordo for the error of my ways. Last night I
> placed in the top ten in a street race here in Gel-A that had over 90
> entrants. The best part of that? I was just rollin' and having fun.
>
> JD healing up nicely- Hide quoted text -

I've cracked my track frame's bb shell lug a month or so ago, so
currently I'm back in the world of gears, freewheels, and hand brakes.
Who knew those old Paramounts weren't made for Brooklyn Bridge clyde
hop-skids?

Gah!

/s

On Oct 15, 7:01 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've cracked my track frame's bb shell lug a month or so ago, so
> currently I'm back in the world of gears, freewheels, and hand brakes.
> Who knew those old Paramounts weren't made for Brooklyn Bridge clyde
> hop-skids?
>
> Gah!
>
> /s

Was your Paramount a conversion? If so, throw a quote in here about
how you "abused" it and it finally broke. I want to go fishing in a
classic bike forum with it. Some of those fuddy duddies get their
panties all in a twist about conversions.

So, what's up for your next frame, a Bareknuckle?

JD

On Oct 15, 4:08 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 7:01 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I've cracked my track frame's bb shell lug a month or so ago, so
> > currently I'm back in the world of gears, freewheels, and hand brakes.
> > Who knew those old Paramounts weren't made for Brooklyn Bridge clyde
> > hop-skids?

> > Gah!

> > /s

> Was your Paramount a conversion? If so, throw a quote in here about
> how you "abused" it and it finally broke. I want to go fishing in a
> classic bike forum with it. Some of those fuddy duddies get their
> panties all in a twist about conversions.
>
> So, what's up for your next frame, a Bareknuckle?
>
> JD

Nah, genyoowine track bike. And I do feel a bit like I abused it.
Beautifully and specifically made for turning left fast, it just
wasn't built for potholes and curb hops. *Sigh*. With that said, if/
when I repair it, it'll go right back to what it was doing before. I
guess those abusive relationships _can_ feel a lot like love ;)

While I don't like to see bikes they admire abused (and in NYC there
does seem to be a strain of riders with classic Italian frames who
purposely let them rust in some pathetic and misguided attempt at
legitimacy), some of those 'classic' guys would rather see a bike
hanging on a wall than ridden. Ultimately, bikes are functional art. A
bike that never sees the pavement or dirt...that's just sad.

Bareknucke is a consideration. I haven't ridden one. I know I'm being
precious, but...they're just so...missionary.

Too bad I found welding too tedious for words. I gotta quit my job and
learn brazing. And motorcycle maintenance. And Latin.

One other thought. Ever notice how off-the-boat Chinese delivery guys
ride their bikes, compared to your average "bike messenger"? Chinese
delivery guys ride upright, wearing normal clothing, usually sans
helmets. They treat their cheap, geared hybrids respectfully, like
vehicles. They're not making a statement, nor trying to find the
limitations of their gear. This is in direct contrast to maybe 80% of
the "American" riders I see, who, like bragging about scars and
crashes, see it as some sort of duty to try and wear down or break
their bikes.

Veird.

/s

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> One other thought. Ever notice how off-the-boat Chinese delivery guys
> ride their bikes, compared to your average "bike messenger"? Chinese
> delivery guys ride upright, wearing normal clothing, usually sans
> helmets. They treat their cheap, geared hybrids respectfully, like
> vehicles. They're not making a statement, nor trying to find the
> limitations of their gear. This is in direct contrast to maybe 80% of
> the "American" riders I see, who, like bragging about scars and
> crashes, see it as some sort of duty to try and wear down or break
> their bikes.

And who like to see how low they can get their bars even on their tootle to
the store bikes.

> Veird.

Verd.

Greg
--
http://lodesertprotosites.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On Oct 17, 7:06 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 4:08 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 15, 7:01 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I've cracked my track frame's bb shell lug a month or so ago, so
> > > currently I'm back in the world of gears, freewheels, and hand brakes.
> > > Who knew those old Paramounts weren't made for Brooklyn Bridge clyde
> > > hop-skids?

> > > Gah!

> > > /s

> > Was your Paramount a conversion? If so, throw a quote in here about
> > how you "abused" it and it finally broke. I want to go fishing in a
> > classic bike forum with it. Some of those fuddy duddies get their
> > panties all in a twist about conversions.

> > So, what's up for your next frame, a Bareknuckle?

> > JD

> Nah, genyoowine track bike. And I do feel a bit like I abused it.
> Beautifully and specifically made for turning left fast, it just
> wasn't built for potholes and curb hops. *Sigh*. With that said, if/
> when I repair it, it'll go right back to what it was doing before. I
> guess those abusive relationships _can_ feel a lot like love ;)

Abused would have been sitting around and getting polished by some
wacko "collector" instead of being ridden.

> While I don't like to see bikes they admire abused (and in NYC there
> does seem to be a strain of riders with classic Italian frames who
> purposely let them rust in some pathetic and misguided attempt at
> legitimacy), some of those 'classic' guys would rather see a bike
> hanging on a wall than ridden. Ultimately, bikes are functional art. A
> bike that never sees the pavement or dirt...that's just sad.

Yup.

> Bareknucke is a consideration. I haven't ridden one. I know I'm being
> precious, but...they're just so...missionary.

Try to not think too hard about it. It's Italian and doesn't cost as
much as a Pegoretti. Throw a few paint splotches on it and call it
art...

> Too bad I found welding too tedious for words. I gotta quit my job and
> learn brazing. And motorcycle maintenance. And Latin.

Go visit with Yamaguchi in Rifle, CO.

> One other thought. Ever notice how off-the-boat Chinese delivery guys
> ride their bikes, compared to your average "bike messenger"? Chinese
> delivery guys ride upright, wearing normal clothing, usually sans
> helmets. They treat their cheap, geared hybrids respectfully, like
> vehicles. They're not making a statement, nor trying to find the
> limitations of their gear. This is in direct contrast to maybe 80% of
> the "American" riders I see, who, like bragging about scars and
> crashes, see it as some sort of duty to try and wear down or break
> their bikes.

I never see any Chinese delivery guys, only Mexican ones. I have no
duty to break anything or gain scars, both just seem to happen.
Breaking only means $$$ to me and I don't care to fork over the dough.

JD

On Oct 25, 6:24 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 17, 7:06 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Was your Paramount a conversion? If so, throw a quote in here about
> > > how you "abused" it and it finally broke. I want to go fishing in a
> > > classic bike forum with it. Some of those fuddy duddies get their
> > > panties all in a twist about conversions.

> > > So, what's up for your next frame, a Bareknuckle?

> > > JD

> > Nah, genyoowine track bike. And I do feel a bit like I abused it.
> > Beautifully and specifically made for turning left fast, it just
> > wasn't built for potholes and curb hops. *Sigh*. With that said, if/
> > when I repair it, it'll go right back to what it was doing before. I
> > guess those abusive relationships _can_ feel a lot like love ;)

> Abused would have been sitting around and getting polished by some
> wacko "collector" instead of being ridden.
>
> > While I don't like to see bikes they admire abused (and in NYC there
> > does seem to be a strain of riders with classic Italian frames who
> > purposely let them rust in some pathetic and misguided attempt at
> > legitimacy), some of those 'classic' guys would rather see a bike
> > hanging on a wall than ridden. Ultimately, bikes are functional art. A
> > bike that never sees the pavement or dirt...that's just sad.

> Yup.
>
> > Bareknucke is a consideration. I haven't ridden one. I know I'm being
> > precious, but...they're just so...missionary.

> Try to not think too hard about it. It's Italian and doesn't cost as
> much as a Pegoretti. Throw a few paint splotches on it and call it
> art...
>
> > Too bad I found welding too tedious for words. I gotta quit my job and
> > learn brazing. And motorcycle maintenance. And Latin.

> Go visit with Yamaguchi in Rifle, CO.
>
> > One other thought. Ever notice how off-the-boat Chinese delivery guys
> > ride their bikes, compared to your average "bike messenger"? Chinese
> > delivery guys ride upright, wearing normal clothing, usually sans
> > helmets. They treat their cheap, geared hybrids respectfully, like
> > vehicles. They're not making a statement, nor trying to find the
> > limitations of their gear. This is in direct contrast to maybe 80% of
> > the "American" riders I see, who, like bragging about scars and
> > crashes, see it as some sort of duty to try and wear down or break
> > their bikes.

> I never see any Chinese delivery guys, only Mexican ones. I have no
> duty to break anything or gain scars, both just seem to happen.
> Breaking only means $$$ to me and I don't care to fork over the dough.
>
> JD- Hide quoted text -

Yamaguchi's in CO? Really? Those are some kewl sparkly paint jobs. I
don't need anything THAT nice, though.

I've got my track frame in with a local brazer (Chelsea Bikes). He's
got a solid rep. He'll be replacing the whole bb shell and inserting a
sleeve. Won't be cheap, but I can't just toss the thing into the heap
now can I?

It will need some new paint afterwards, though.... Hmm... DIY sparkle
paint....

/s

On Oct 26, 9:01 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 25, 6:24 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Nah, genyoowine track bike. And I do feel a bit like I abused it.
> > > Beautifully and specifically made for turning left fast, it just
> > > wasn't built for potholes and curb hops. *Sigh*. With that said, if/
> > > when I repair it, it'll go right back to what it was doing before. I
> > > guess those abusive relationships _can_ feel a lot like love ;)

> > Abused would have been sitting around and getting polished by some
> > wacko "collector" instead of being ridden.

> > > While I don't like to see bikes they admire abused (and in NYC there
> > > does seem to be a strain of riders with classic Italian frames who
> > > purposely let them rust in some pathetic and misguided attempt at
> > > legitimacy), some of those 'classic' guys would rather see a bike
> > > hanging on a wall than ridden. Ultimately, bikes are functional art. A
> > > bike that never sees the pavement or dirt...that's just sad.

> > Yup.

> > > Bareknucke is a consideration. I haven't ridden one. I know I'm being
> > > precious, but...they're just so...missionary.

> > Try to not think too hard about it. It's Italian and doesn't cost as
> > much as a Pegoretti. Throw a few paint splotches on it and call it
> > art...

> > > Too bad I found welding too tedious for words. I gotta quit my job and
> > > learn brazing. And motorcycle maintenance. And Latin.

> > Go visit with Yamaguchi in Rifle, CO.

> > > One other thought. Ever notice how off-the-boat Chinese delivery guys
> > > ride their bikes, compared to your average "bike messenger"? Chinese
> > > delivery guys ride upright, wearing normal clothing, usually sans
> > > helmets. They treat their cheap, geared hybrids respectfully, like
> > > vehicles. They're not making a statement, nor trying to find the
> > > limitations of their gear. This is in direct contrast to maybe 80% of
> > > the "American" riders I see, who, like bragging about scars and
> > > crashes, see it as some sort of duty to try and wear down or break
> > > their bikes.

> > I never see any Chinese delivery guys, only Mexican ones. I have no
> > duty to break anything or gain scars, both just seem to happen.
> > Breaking only means $$$ to me and I don't care to fork over the dough.

> > JD- Hide quoted text -

> Yamaguchi's in CO? Really? Those are some kewl sparkly paint jobs. I
> don't need anything THAT nice, though.

Yeah, everything good levitates towards Western CO. So, no Pegoretti
or Yamaguchi?

> I've got my track frame in with a local brazer (Chelsea Bikes). He's
> got a solid rep. He'll be replacing the whole bb shell and inserting a
> sleeve. Won't be cheap, but I can't just toss the thing into the heap
> now can I?

No way, keep that Paramount Track rolling. I saw a '34 Paramount
Track when in GJ, pics soon.

> It will need some new paint afterwards, though.... Hmm... DIY sparkle
> paint....
>
> /s

Blaspheme! Two-tone that sucker in classic colors.

JD

On Oct 26, 5:51 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 9:01 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Abused would have been sitting around and getting polished by some
> > > wacko "collector" instead of being ridden.

> > > Yup.

> > > Try to not think too hard about it. It's Italian and doesn't cost as
> > > much as a Pegoretti. Throw a few paint splotches on it and call it
> > > art...

> > > Go visit with Yamaguchi in Rifle, CO.

> > > I never see any Chinese delivery guys, only Mexican ones. I have no
> > > duty to break anything or gain scars, both just seem to happen.
> > > Breaking only means $$$ to me and I don't care to fork over the dough.

> > > JD- Hide quoted text -

> > Yamaguchi's in CO? Really? Those are some kewl sparkly paint jobs. I
> > don't need anything THAT nice, though.

> Yeah, everything good levitates towards Western CO. So, no Pegoretti
> or Yamaguchi?
>
> > I've got my track frame in with a local brazer (Chelsea Bikes). He's
> > got a solid rep. He'll be replacing the whole bb shell and inserting a
> > sleeve. Won't be cheap, but I can't just toss the thing into the heap
> > now can I?

> No way, keep that Paramount Track rolling. I saw a '34 Paramount
> Track when in GJ, pics soon.

<snip>

That will be a rare sight indeed. If it is a '34, then it is a
(pre)Paramount "Emil Wastyn" six-day racer. Emil was a Chicago frame
builder who managed the Schwinn six-day team, as well as building the
team frames. As far as most records go, the "Paramount" name didn't
start appearing until 1937, and wasn't officially introduced (by
Schwinn) until 1938. I heard that there was an Emil Wastyn in central
Utah ... some left over from the Salt Palace daze.

Anyway ...looking forward to seeing the pics ...

On Oct 27, 1:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Oct 26, 5:51 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yamaguchi's in CO? Really? Those are some kewl sparkly paint jobs. I
> > > don't need anything THAT nice, though.

> > Yeah, everything good levitates towards Western CO. So, no Pegoretti
> > or Yamaguchi?

> > > I've got my track frame in with a local brazer (Chelsea Bikes). He's
> > > got a solid rep. He'll be replacing the whole bb shell and inserting a
> > > sleeve. Won't be cheap, but I can't just toss the thing into the heap
> > > now can I?

> > No way, keep that Paramount Track rolling. I saw a '34 Paramount
> > Track when in GJ, pics soon.

> <snip>
>
> That will be a rare sight indeed. If it is a '34, then it is a
> (pre)Paramount "Emil Wastyn" six-day racer. Emil was a Chicago frame
> builder who managed the Schwinn six-day team, as well as building the
> team frames. As far as most records go, the "Paramount" name didn't
> start appearing until 1937, and wasn't officially introduced (by
> Schwinn) until 1938. I heard that there was an Emil Wastyn in central
> Utah ... some left over from the Salt Palace daze.
>
> Anyway ...looking forward to seeing the pics ...

It's been powdercoated since acquired, but the details of the frame
are obvious to those in the know. The only thing that wasn't OE from
what I could tell other than the tires and paint, was the stem. The
1" pitch drivetrain was impressive as hell, looking very good for
being so old. The shop that had it didn't know what they had when it
was being consigned and it sold for $100. I wish I had been there
when it showed up and was being sold for that amount.

JD

On Oct 27, 3:59 pm, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 27, 1:49 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > Yeah, everything good levitates towards Western CO. So, no Pegoretti
> > > or Yamaguchi?

> > > No way, keep that Paramount Track rolling. I saw a '34 Paramount
> > > Track when in GJ, pics soon.

> > <snip>

> > That will be a rare sight indeed. If it is a '34, then it is a
> > (pre)Paramount "Emil Wastyn" six-day racer. Emil was a Chicago frame
> > builder who managed the Schwinn six-day team, as well as building the
> > team frames. As far as most records go, the "Paramount" name didn't
> > start appearing until 1937, and wasn't officially introduced (by
> > Schwinn) until 1938. I heard that there was an Emil Wastyn in central
> > Utah ... some left over from the Salt Palace daze.

> > Anyway ...looking forward to seeing the pics ...

> It's been powdercoated

<snip>

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!