Random Bike Stuff: Shop, Commute, Captain America..

I am King of the Barneys:

So I get a call from this bike shop...

and I don't know what's going on. What's he want? The owner, a more or
less renowned mechanic, (and great wheel builder) leaves a message, so
I call him back, introduce myself, and wait... Then he breaks the
awkward silence and says he's returning my call. Whaaaatt?? I search
the hard drive of my tired brain, and it comes to me! I called this
guy 12 months ago, and he's all of a sudden good and ready to return
the call.

I remind him that I left a couple messages for him about a year ago,
and he apologizes, says he's been busy, yadda, yadda, yadda. Can you
believe it?

OK, one more senseless bit of trivia. I'm on my 4th week of being
voluntarily car-less. Bike commuting to work and where I need to go,
and kinda loving it. Can't remember when I last drove the 4Runner or
put gas in it. I borrow the wife's rig when I need to take the kids
somewhere, but otherwise, it's kinda cool to be dependent on ole left
leg and right leg to get me there and back.

Here's another story from last night. I walk into Starbucks with my
loud, stars and stripes jersey on, (you fellow Barneys know the one),
and all these heads turn and stare. So I proudly address my cadre of
admirers, "As a matter of fact, I am Captain America!"

End of stories. You may resume feeding the Trolls, now.

CDB

On Oct 10, 4:20 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I am King of the Barneys:
>
> So I get a call from this bike shop...
>
> and I don't know what's going on. What's he want? The owner, a more or
> less renowned mechanic, (and great wheel builder) leaves a message, so
> I call him back, introduce myself, and wait... Then he breaks the
> awkward silence and says he's returning my call. Whaaaatt?? I search
> the hard drive of my tired brain, and it comes to me! I called this
> guy 12 months ago, and he's all of a sudden good and ready to return
> the call.
>
> I remind him that I left a couple messages for him about a year ago,
> and he apologizes, says he's been busy, yadda, yadda, yadda. Can you
> believe it?
>
> OK, one more senseless bit of trivia. I'm on my 4th week of being
> voluntarily car-less. Bike commuting to work and where I need to go,
> and kinda loving it. Can't remember when I last drove the 4Runner or
> put gas in it. I borrow the wife's rig when I need to take the kids
> somewhere, but otherwise, it's kinda cool to be dependent on ole left
> leg and right leg to get me there and back.
>
> Here's another story from last night. I walk into Starbucks with my
> loud, stars and stripes jersey on, (you fellow Barneys know the one),
> and all these heads turn and stare. So I proudly address my cadre of
> admirers, "As a matter of fact, I am Captain America!"
>
> End of stories. You may resume feeding the Trolls, now.
>
> CDB

I've got one of those Brooklyn jerseys that elicits the same Capt.
America bit.

Good deal on the no car thing. My old Volvo has been sitting for
around 4 months now. I've failed inspection for repairs worth more
than the car itself. Can't say I've missed it, but I live in NYC.

/s