random prediction, basso's riding

On the last day of the tour you will probably be predicting a 30
minute breakaway that will steal the Jersey from Lance

Darrell Criswell <[email protected]> writes:

> On the last day of the tour you will probably be predicting a 30
> minute breakaway that will steal the Jersey from Lance

Nah. Did you see Lance's face up the last climb today? He looks
good, but... not great. Fortunately for him, Basso doesn't seem to be
very aggressive.

--
David N. Welton
Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

"David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I still think Lance will crack, but it won't be one of the main rivals
> to beat him.
>
> Basso looked really good today, but he never tried to stick it to
> Lance, it would appear:-/

I saw exactly the same thing. I was hoping he would get aggressive today but
I think he is not quite accustomed to feeling like a contender for yellow in
Paris. He is still happy to be there and therefore allows Lance to set the
pace. Hopefully Lance will pay for his efforts later while Basso stays
fresh. That 55 km ITT will get Lance at least 3 minutes on Basso and that is
the kind of margin he needs to look for between now and then. Maybe being so
close in contention will inspire him during the mountain ITT.

> --
> David N. Welton
> Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
> Free Software: http://www.dedasys.com/freesoftware/
> Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/
> Photos: http://www.dedasys.com/photos/

> Nah. Did you see Lance's face up the last climb today? He looks
> good, but... not great. Fortunately for him, Basso doesn't seem to be
> very aggressive.

Correct. He had plenty of reserve and could easily have won, but the
only reason he didn't is that he isn't "very aggressive".

;-)

Riiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhht.

Rick

"java man (espressopithecus)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Nah. Did you see Lance's face up the last climb today? He looks
> > good, but... not great. Fortunately for him, Basso doesn't seem to be
> > very aggressive.
> >

> Correct. He had plenty of reserve and could easily have won, but the
> only reason he didn't is that he isn't "very aggressive".
>
> ;-)
>
> Riiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhht.
>
> Rick

Right. Basso is less confident about how much he needs to keep in reserve
for the rest of the race. He is not going to attack a 5 time winner that was
with him for both days in the mountains when the race is half over. Lance
should know just how hard he can go without harming his chances for the rest
of the race and anyway, Lance is already up on GC because of the TTT and a
few odd seconds elsewhere.

Why is that hard to understand?

java man (espressopithecus) <[email protected]> writes:

> > Nah. Did you see Lance's face up the last climb today? He looks
> > good, but... not great. Fortunately for him, Basso doesn't seem to be
> > very aggressive.

> Correct. He had plenty of reserve and could easily have won, but the
> only reason he didn't is that he isn't "very aggressive".

> ;-)

> Riiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhht.

You should check out some of Basso's previous results. A lot of
people have marked him as one of the more physically talented riders
out there, but you almost never see him on the attack by himself.

--
David N. Welton
Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/
Photos: http://www.dedasys.com/photos/

> java man (espressopithecus) <[email protected]> writes:

> > > Nah. Did you see Lance's face up the last climb today? He looks
> > > good, but... not great. Fortunately for him, Basso doesn't seem to be
> > > very aggressive.

> > Correct. He had plenty of reserve and could easily have won, but the
> > only reason he didn't is that he isn't "very aggressive".

> > ;-)

> > Riiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhht.

> You should check out some of Basso's previous results. A lot of
> people have marked him as one of the more physically talented riders
> out there, but you almost never see him on the attack by himself.

I find it quite incredible that a bunch of amateurs watching snippets of
the TDF on TV know better than Basso about whether he has been as
aggressive as his body has the capability to be.

Rick

java man (espressopithecus) <[email protected]> writes:

> > You should check out some of Basso's previous results. A lot of
> > people have marked him as one of the more physically talented riders
> > out there, but you almost never see him on the attack by himself.
> >

> I find it quite incredible that a bunch of amateurs watching snippets of
> the TDF on TV know better than Basso about whether he has been as
> aggressive as his body has the capability to be.

The RAI commentators have mentioned the same thing. Just because one
isn't a pro doesn't mean that one doesn't have some insight into the
sport and different riding styles. Davide Cassani was not a
particularly stellar pro, but his commentary is spot-on. He calls the
races quite well.