Random Ticking While Pedaling

doctorold

Dec 14, 2010
North Carolina
Ok, so I've searched the forums and I have found plenty of threads about noises while pedaling. All of them refer to a repetitive ticking noise while pedaling. My problem is the ticking noise that I get happens in the same spot in the pedal rotation but it does not happen every time. And sometimes there are two ticks and sometimes only one. I have replaced the chain and bottom bracket and the chainring bolts seem very tight. The pedals I have are two weeks old. I am at a loss. The only thing I can think of is the pedals are defective but I have a hard time believing that. They are Shimano PD-5700. Any suggestions/ideas will be very appreciated.

UPDATE: Now I'm embarrassed that I even started this thread. The one thing I hadn't done is change the pedals. Guess what? Quiet as a church mouse. Can't believe my new pedals are to blame. What sucks is I bought them through Amazon. So do I beat my head against a rock and try to get Amazon to replace them (I have none of the original packaging)? or try to get Shimano to do something about them (not sure I have the proper documentation to get that accomplished)?

it couldn't hurt to ask your dealer and/or Shimano about the pedals. Are you sure you had everything appropriately torqued: pedals to crank; cleat screws?

Originally Posted by alienator .

it couldn't hurt to ask your dealer and/or Shimano about the pedals. Are you sure you had everything appropriately torqued: pedals to crank; cleat screws?
Absolutely. Took them off, clean, greased and reinstalled. Cleats and screws readjusted and secured. I even adjusted the tension to a tighter position thinking maybe that was the case. Nothing. Same ticking.

doctorold said:
Absolutely.  Took them off, clean, greased and reinstalled. Cleats and screws readjusted and secured.  I even adjusted the tension to a tighter position thinking maybe that was the case.  Nothing.  Same ticking.
I'd say you've got a good case for getting either a replacement set or replacement bearings installed.

If your Amazon seller isn't an authorized Shimano dealer, or he isn't willing to warranty them himself, you might be between a rock and a hard place.

I would recommend trying the pedals one more time, after cleaning and greasing the threads thoroughly. If the problem persists, remove them immediately and notify the seller politely but firmly that the pedals are defective and that you'd like to return them for a replacement set or a refund. Meanwhile, see if Amazon has any buyer-protection policies that you can use in case the seller becomes belligerent. Don't escalate the issue unless the seller's behavior warrants it.

If the dealer and Shimano don't help, you could just have your LBS replace or check the bearings in the pedal.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

If your Amazon seller isn't an authorized Shimano dealer, or he isn't willing to warranty them himself, you might be between a rock and a hard place.

I would recommend trying the pedals one more time, after cleaning and greasing the threads thoroughly. If the problem persists, remove them immediately and notify the seller politely but firmly that the pedals are defective and that you'd like to return them for a replacement set or a refund. Meanwhile, see if Amazon has any buyer-protection policies that you can use in case the seller becomes belligerent. Don't escalate the issue unless the seller's behavior warrants it.
These were bought directly from Amazon, not a second-party seller (I know, sounds weird). Calling them this morning. See what happens.

UPDATE: Just did live chat with Amazon and they are sending out replacements. Holy cow! And, there was no mention of returning the defective pedals. I'll wait and see what comes of that but I was shocked at how easy that was. Guess I'll find out in two days.

Amazon is A-OK.

If you do return the bad pedals, no need to upgrade the shipping. Parcel Post is plenty fast.

Yeah. Later on today I got an email that reads, more or less, like "oh, btw, don't forget to send the defective equipment back. Here's a return label". It's all good.

doctorold said:
Yeah.  Later on today I got an email that reads, more or less, like "oh, btw, don't forget to send the defective equipment back.  Here's a return label".  It's all good.
Awesome. Note that the 105 pedals don't have bearings as nice as those in the Ultegra or Dura Ace pedals. Some people have had complaints about 105 bearing life. Some, not loads. It might be worth considering moving up to the Ultegras (about $50 more). I have the 2012 Dura Ace pedals (moved from Look), and they are sooooooooooo nice in function.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I would recommend trying the pedals one more time, after cleaning and greasing the threads thoroughly. If the problem persists, remove them immediately and notify the seller politely but firmly that the pedals are defective and that you'd like to return them [/COLOR]for a replacement set or a refund........

Thank you
Bizworldusa

Originally Posted by bizworldusa .

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I would recommend trying the pedals one more time, after cleaning and greasing the threads thoroughly. If the problem persists, remove them immediately and notify the seller politely but firmly that the pedals are defective and that you'd like to return them [/COLOR]for a replacement set or a refund........

Thank you
Bizworldusa
I took the pedals off a couple of times, cleaning and regreasing them to no avail. Moot point now. In one day's time Amazon had replaced them and sent me a return label for the old ones. It's a done deal. Back to quiet pedaling.