Range for 70's Campy Nuovo Rec ?

Bob

Guest
What's the range that a Campy Nuovo Record rear can handle for
sprocket
and tooth difference at the front ? Does it typically have enough
horizontal throw to handle a 7 speed freewheel ?

Do the fronts have enough horizontal throw to handle a triple ?

Thanks,

Bob wrote:
> What's the range that a Campy Nuovo Record rear can handle for
> sprocket
> and tooth difference at the front ? Does it typically have enough
> horizontal throw to handle a 7 speed freewheel ?
>
> Do the fronts have enough horizontal throw to handle a triple ?
>
> Thanks,

I use one on a 50/40/30 and a 13-23 freewheel but it'll go to a 26 in
the back.
Phil Brown

Bob wrote:
> What's the range that a Campy Nuovo Record rear can handle for
> sprocket
> and tooth difference at the front ? Does it typically have enough
> horizontal throw to handle a 7 speed freewheel ?

yes, w/o problem.

> Do the fronts have enough horizontal throw to handle a triple ?

Some triples. It may have the chain drag on the cage in smallish cogs
in the small ring, cuz it has to be high enough clear the big ring.

Bob <[email protected]> writes:

> What's the range that a Campy Nuovo Record rear can handle for
> sprocket and tooth difference at the front ? Does it typically have
> enough horizontal throw to handle a 7 speed freewheel ?

The original rear derailleur range was rated at 24T, 27T maximum rear
sprocket but many people push the maximum rear cog to 28T. This
usually meant a 42-52T up front and 14-28 freewheel was the most that
nuovo record could handle. I have known of bikes with the following :

54-46 and 14-28 my schwinn P-15, i changed it to a P-10
52-44 and 14-28 a really old 1970 raleigh international
52-42 and 14-24 the later raleigh internationals
52-42 and 13-26 the stock 12-speed gears on a raleigh pro

When running a 28T freewheel, you need to be very careful with
derailleur angle adjustment and dropout adjustment to maximize the
space between the upper pulley and the largest freewheel cog. My P-15
sometimes "sticks" when I'm trying to shift out of the 28T gear in the
back.

I've heard people claim they can shift 30T in the rear but these are
the same guys claiming they got their steel bikes down to 8 lbs by
drilling out parts ... sheesh ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"philcycles" <[email protected]> writes:

>I use one on a 50/40/30 and a 13-23 freewheel but it'll go to a 26 in
>the back.

I bet you don't use the 50-23 or the 30-13 gears too often. that's a
30T difference in chain wrap, and the best GT derailleurs are spec'ed
to handle 34T ... Either that or you've got a hot-rodded nuovo record
with a long cage (such derailleurs exist and campy USA actually
recommended such mods in their newsletters.)

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:
> "philcycles" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >I use one on a 50/40/30 and a 13-23 freewheel but it'll go to a 26 in
> >the back.

> I bet you don't use the 50-23 or the 30-13 gears too often. that's a
> 30T difference in chain wrap, and the best GT derailleurs are spec'ed
> to handle 34T ... Either that or you've got a hot-rodded nuovo record
> with a long cage (such derailleurs exist and campy USA actually
> recommended such mods in their newsletters.)
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

Sorry, Don, dead stock. And I don't use the extremes.
Phil Brown

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "philcycles" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >I use one on a 50/40/30 and a 13-23 freewheel but it'll go to

a 26 in
> >the back.

> I bet you don't use the 50-23 or the 30-13 gears too often.

that's a
> 30T difference in chain wrap, and the best GT derailleurs are

spec'ed
> to handle 34T ... Either that or you've got a hot-rodded nuovo

record
> with a long cage (such derailleurs exist and campy USA actually
> recommended such mods in their newsletters.)

And they also sold the Rally, which was a spectacular POS for the
money. I used an '80 Rally cage on a NR derailleur in a fit of
mixing and matching and it was about half as good as a $12
Suntour. I used a NR front derailleur for a triple with no
problem -- however, it was a Campy triple with a small ring in
the 30t range (a drill-and- tap after-market bolt on and not the
model that was available on a limited basis in the late '70s.) --
Jay Beattie.