Leonardo Piepoli
Fernando Escartin
Ivan Gotti
Roberto Heras
Claudio Chiapucci
Luc Leblanc
Jose Maria Jimenez
Francesco Casagrande

This is my first post in about 6 months, I had given up on this forum as it turned into a farce with all the **** that was going on with hijacking every thread. It looks like now I can come back and actualyy talk about cycling!:)
cheers

The Double Zero said:
This is my first post in about 6 months, I had given up on this forum as it turned into a farce with all the **** that was going on with hijacking every thread. It looks like now I can come back and actualyy talk about cycling!:)
Oh no, another doping apologist. :p

fscyclist said:
My favorite climber that I've seen is Indurain. We rarely got to see his true capability, but when he showed it, it was amazing. He was graceful, powerful, and ultra-smooth; true class.

One of my favorite stages of the Tour remains his ride to La Plagne in '95. Zulle is up the road and Indurain realizes he has to catch him. Seemingly without effort, he just rolls up the pace, never even gets out of the saddle and sheds the best 'climbers' in the business. I love watching that video of Indurain on the front, smooth as ever, and see Chiappuci, Rominger, Virenque, Tonkov all suffer then explode. What makes him a champion of the sport is he could have done this more frequently but didn't.

I was fortunate to be at the 1995 TDF - and to see Indurain climbing at Alp D'Huez stage and the Guize Neige stage.
Superb stuff it was too ; Pantani had flown and Indurain was doing his damndest to minimise the time loss to MP.

Baking hot days.......Indurain passed by, Banesto jersey stuck to his back, you could see his lungs expanding/contracting under his sweat soaked jersey, hands on the drops, pedalling like a metronome.
Superb.

nonameboy said:
rank these climbers from best to worst:

Marco Pantani
Richard Virenque
Fernando Escartin
Luc Leblanc
Roberto Heras
Jose Maria Jimenez
Gilberto Simoni
Leonardo Piepoli
Mikael Rasmussen
Francesco Casagrande
Claudio Chiapucci
Ivan Gotti
1-9. Fausto Coppi !!!
10. Charly Gaul
13. Pantani
14. Escartin
15. Jimenez
16. Heras
17. Rasmussen
18. Casagrande
19. Gotti
20. Virenque
21. Simoni

no opinion on the others....

limerickman said:
I was fortunate to be at the 1995 TDF - and to see Indurain climbing at Alp D'Huez stage and the Guize Neige stage.
Superb stuff it was too ; Pantani had flown and Indurain was doing his damndest to minimise the time loss to MP.

Baking hot days.......Indurain passed by, Banesto jersey stuck to his back, you could see his lungs expanding/contracting under his sweat soaked jersey, hands on the drops, pedalling like a metronome.
Superb.
Pure artistry...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhEKRjhLuds

nonameboy said:
rank these climbers from best to worst:

Marco Pantani
Richard Virenque
Fernando Escartin
Luc Leblanc
Roberto Heras
Jose Maria Jimenez
Gilberto Simoni
Leonardo Piepoli
Mikael Rasmussen
Francesco Casagrande
Claudio Chiapucci
Ivan Gotti
Marco Pantani
Jose Maria Jimenez
Gilberto Simoni
Roberto Heras
Leonardo Piepoli
Ivan Gotti
Michael Rasmussen
Claudio Chiapucci
Richard Virenque
Luc Leblanc
Francesco Casagrande
Fernando Escartin

Pantani and Jimenez were the best on this list IMO, although Jimenez was nowhere near as consistent as Pantani or most of the others on this list. 2007 TdF version of Rasmussen deserves to be higher on this list!