rank these climbers.

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by nonameboy, Mar 11, 2008.

1. meehs

meehs New Member

Van Impe, Gaul, Bahamontes, Pantani...

2. EvilJediJ

EvilJediJ New Member

Pantani wasn't on form for the 2000 TdF. He had just come back from his I think suspension....he had barely raced all year long and no one even thought he was going to be a challenge that year. Still, he dropped Lance a few days later in the mountains after the Ventoux.

He has the top two or three fastest times up the L'alpe Duez

3. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

No question that Pantani is probably the best climber in the last 15-20 years. I'd have to put Lance in the top 5 (maybe even 2nd) during this time period. I think it's difficult if not impossible to compare climbers of different generations.

4. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Theoretically... yes...but on forums, anything is possible... ;) :p

5. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

Correct...In reality I think it's easier to compare riders of different generations in the Best ever (Merckx) and Worst looking categories.

I think we should change the discussion to "worst looking pro to ever ride a bike." By worst looking I mean, worst looking form and all around Fred. No surprise on my vote, Cadel Evans.

6. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

Who was the Eagle of Toledo? I vote for him based solely on his nickname.

7. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

The Eagle from Heming didn't look the best at 60% hematocrit.

[​IMG]

8. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Not even close. Check out Escartin some time. He's like a crab riding a bicycle.

9. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Then there's world track sprinting gold medalist Ryan Bailey from Australia, who's coach described his riding style as like watching a monkey trying to hump a tennis ball... :p

10. nns1400

nns1400 New Member

Jamie Farr?

11. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Pantani! But Coppi should be on that list as well.

Before I started to race, we organised our Tour de France (as I was ... I don't know I guess I was about 7 or 8 years old. I lived in the Netherlands at that time and we rode 'wild' races with about 30 - 40 kids from our neighbourhoud. My mother was always upset as I was dreaming of being Lucien van Impe and flying on those mountains (at our Tour de France the mountains were the bridges:D, in the Netherlands we don't have mountains...). So I won the polk dot jersey several times and had to draw red circles on my white t-shirts... The rhine bridge in Arnhem was Alpe d'Huez :D

Later I enjoyed looking to Theunisse and Delgado. Especially Delgado. I raced myself and loved Indurain. Although he was somehow boring... his way to sit on a bike. Just perfect. Than I lost interest a little bit and just rode my bike without really following cycling. And Than Pantani came and later Ullrich. In 1999 VDB came up. Yes he was doped but he also had this perfect style like Indurain had (by the way I joined him in January for a litlle ride and he still has this perfect techniquie, even as he didn't had any results the last couple of years... strong body, perfect technique, nice person, weak mind... psycho...)

Of course as I am professionally follwing cycling since 2002 I kept following it but I lost a my interest a bit when Armstrong showed up in 1999 ( I was still interested, but not that enthousiastic). I don't want to start the next LA bashing. I just thought it was boring. Doped or not, it was a great thing he achieved from 1999 until 2005. You don't only achieve that by going to the right doctor. I think Ullrich's physical abilities were much better (although climbing wasn't his specail thing) but LA won not just because he has a better 'programm' (which he definitly had) but also because he was mentally stronger (but therefore Jan is a person I really like.. and it has definitly something to do with that). The thing is that LA was racing like a machine (with his team). It wasn't fun to watch (for me!). It wasn't like Pantani shows up and you know something is going to happen.

Of course that's all very personal. For the classics I really like Boogerd. He didn't win much but he is a nice guy to speak with, to work with and to watch. Even if he didn't win much, you knew he would attack. Clever or not: an Ardennes classic with Boogerd was nerver boring. Often on the podium, almost never on the top spot. With Ullrich ot was the same, both are very nice guys to talk with and I don't think its a coincedence. I like Dekker as well, but watching him at a race will never be as entertaining as watching Boogerd.

I hoped it would be more exiting again after Armstrong but than the 2006 Tour came and everybody knows what happened. The 2007 Tour was a disaster as well. I hope things will get better and this years Paris - nice seems to be an indictaion that it really is getting better (I have to admit that I didn't believe in it but its the best stage race that I have seen for years).

Back to the climbers: Is it a coincedence that a lot of climbers ended in a tragic way? I don't think so. These guys have a 'different' character and are used to suffer. Jiminez, Pantani and Coppi ended in a tragic way. I would really like to know if there is something in their soul which make them so special and what makes them an easy target for the 'hard' business of pro cycling.

It may sound pathethic. But there is no Giro without a short visit to Pantani's graveyard for me. I don't stay long. Maybe 5 minutes - but there is something inside of me that really force me to go there. After that a good ride along the coast from Cesenatico to Rimin and a few smaller climbs away from the coast I really feel well and sad at the same time. Maybe it is because I knew Marco was in deep shit before he died and I was in Italy (for a holiday) at the time he did. I really felt bad and our holiday was ruined. I had the feeling I did not do anything for him although I knew that the wolves decided that they could sell a lot of material with a Pantani in trouble (colleagues told me the cynical number that Pantani was finished anyway and it would bring sold copies and quotes).

Maybe that's the reason that I often try to support the riders nowadays. I know that the riders are not the problem, its the system.

Oh yes... favourite climbers: Pantani and Van Impe. and: Luis Herrera (the Condor).

12. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Wow. Nice personal story CH... [​IMG]

I'm with you on the system.

13. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

It had to be personal... I started following cycling as a kid because of the climbers...
    Its still fascinating

14. fscyclist

fscyclist New Member

My favorite climber that I've seen is Indurain. We rarely got to see his true capability, but when he showed it, it was amazing. He was graceful, powerful, and ultra-smooth; true class.

One of my favorite stages of the Tour remains his ride to La Plagne in '95. Zulle is up the road and Indurain realizes he has to catch him. Seemingly without effort, he just rolls up the pace, never even gets out of the saddle and sheds the best 'climbers' in the business. I love watching that video of Indurain on the front, smooth as ever, and see Chiappuci, Rominger, Virenque, Tonkov all suffer then explode. What makes him a champion of the sport is he could have done this more frequently but didn't.

15. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

I think I might go to your part of the Netherlands to attempt some of those Alps climbs... ;) . I might make it to the top of those bridges. I bet you just powered up the d'Huez when you were a kid... :p

16. nonameboy

nonameboy New Member

thanks .youre the only one who did what i asked.

17. Tonto

Tonto New Member

Lucho Herrera. A true angel of the skies with a face made for suffering. He accelerated like Pantani, but in more innocent times for both cycling and for me, those accelerations are imbued with more romance than Marco's could ever be.

18. vitamin s

vitamin s New Member

lucho herrera was the man. gert thieunisse was also an exciting guy to watch back in the day, on the juice or not.

19. The Double Zero

The Double Zero New Member

Marco Pantani
    Mikael Rasmussen
    Richard Virenque
    Gilberto Simoni
    Leonardo Piepoli
    Fernando Escartin
    Ivan Gotti
    Roberto Heras
    Claudio Chiapucci
    Luc Leblanc
    Jose Maria Jimenez
    Francesco Casagrande

This is my first post in about 6 months, I had given up on this forum as it turned into a farce with all the crap that was going on with hijacking every thread. It looks like now I can come back and actualyy talk about cycling!:)

20. vitamin s

vitamin s New Member

dont have many problems with bro deals rankings.

the thing i think should be noted is that guys like rasmussen may be better climbers, but chiapucci and leblanc were 2 of the best tacticians in the game. they didnt have the physical capabilities of a pantani or ras by any stretch of the imagination, but they knew how to race in the mountains as well as anybody.