RANS adjustable chopper bars?.....

DougC

Guest
Anybody got these? I am curious, as to how wide they are and how
short/long they adjust to. There's no dimensions given on the Rans site,
and an email sent a number of days ago went unanswered.
~~~~~~~

DougC wrote:
> Anybody got these? I am curious, as to how wide they are and how
> short/long they adjust to. There's no dimensions given on the Rans site,
> and an email sent a number of days ago went unanswered.
> ~~~~~~~

We have them on my wife's Stratus - old bike, new bars. They don't
really adjust wider/narrower, they rotate. So you have to find a point
where you're OK with the width and the angle - it's hard to explain,
you kind of have to see them to get it. We have them adjusted as short
as they'll go, but this may be because the Stratus is XL and she's not,
so she's sitting way forward. If you rotate them too low, they'll
catch your knees on turns.

I'd say they aren't perfect, but they are more adjusteable than the
t-bar that was on the bike and allow us to reduce the tiller effect a
bit. And they do look cool in the black ...

RANS has a photo at http://www.ransbikes.com/ChopperBarDetail.htm

Is the big U fixed width and the grips above the clamps the part that
rotates?

Is the adjustment, the up and down angle of the U and the rotation of the
grips?

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] wrote:

> We have them on my wife's Stratus - old bike, new bars. They don't
> really adjust wider/narrower, they rotate. So you have to find a point
> where you're OK with the width and the angle - it's hard to explain,
> you kind of have to see them to get it. We have them adjusted as short
> as they'll go, but this may be because the Stratus is XL and she's not,
> so she's sitting way forward. If you rotate them too low, they'll
> catch your knees on turns.
>
> I'd say they aren't perfect, but they are more adjusteable than the
> t-bar that was on the bike and allow us to reduce the tiller effect a
> bit. And they do look cool in the black ...

Well I went to the local dealer and bought some RANS bars off a bike on
the floor anyway.

I have this: http://www.cyclegenius.com/ltx.htm ; the OEM bars are too
short for a large person. The bars are about 8 inches wide and 13 inches
long.

The RANS chopper bars are about 11 inches wide and adjust in length from
about 17 to about 19.5 inches. I'd prefer if they were /narrower/ but oh
well. The wider base of them is not so much a problem for me because
this bicycle uses a tall stem and pedal/leg interference isn't a problem.

FYI: the LWB bars used on some of the Sun and Easy Racers bikes are
narrow (about 8 inches) and /really/ long, like 20+ inches.

Ideally the bars would be long (18-20 inches), VERY narrow at the stem
(4 inches), fairly narrow at the grips (8 inches), use a double-bend to
avoid leg interference and have the grips rotated down at 45-60 degrees.
The RANS bars rotate and are long but are not narrow. The Sun and Easy
Racers bars are long and narrow, but have mild-angled grips (the ER is
more angled than the Suns really-). The shop offered to sell me the bars
off any bike they had, but I couldn't find any really like this on any
of them. And I didn't see anything "right" online, or else I'd have
ordered it.

I did try cutting the OEM bars and extending them with some clamped-on
tubes, but the brake and gear cables all needed replacing (so this was
how I ended up talking to the bike shop about the situation). It seemed
like the OEM cables had a lot of slack in them but they really only had
about two inches of slack at best--and I had extended the OEM bars by
six inches....
~~~~~

Just a thought - goto www.terracycle.com Pat Franz's site. He sells many
sizes and shapes of chopper bars. I've had a set on my VRex for years -
much more comfortable than OEM.
Jon Shinefeld
Philadelphia, PA

news:[email protected]...