RANS Force 5 update

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Sherman, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    <http://www.ransbikes.com/ITRForce5II.htm>

    Wisely RANS has decided to dimension the frame to accept both ISO 559-mm and ISO 571-mm wheels
    (although they seem to think there is a "559c" wheel size.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

    Tags:

  2. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    says that the brakes probably wouldn't reach though.

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > <http://www.ransbikes.com/ITRForce5II.htm>
    >
    > Wisely RANS has decided to dimension the frame to accept both ISO 559-mm and ISO 571-mm wheels
    > (although they seem to think there is a "559c" wheel size.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    bentbiker wrote:

    > says that the brakes probably wouldn't reach though.

    The Force 5 uses sidepull caliper brakes. As I understand the RANS web page, the limiting factor
    will be the tire size that will fit within the "arch" of the brake - typically around 40-mm for a
    normal reach sidepull.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  4. Bryan Ball

    Bryan Ball Guest

    A Shimano 105 dual pivot with the longer arms should work.

    "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > says that the brakes probably wouldn't reach though.
    >
    > Tom Sherman wrote:
    > > <http://www.ransbikes.com/ITRForce5II.htm>
    > >
    > > Wisely RANS has decided to dimension the frame to accept both ISO 559-mm and ISO 571-mm wheels
    > > (although they seem to think there is a "559c" wheel size.
    > >
    > > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

    ---

  5. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    width might be a problem, also reach. Typically standard calipers do not have enough range to fit
    both 650/559 wheels. Quality long reach calipers are not as widely available today.

    Tom Sherman wrote:
    > bentbiker wrote:
    >
    >> says that the brakes probably wouldn't reach though.
    >

    > The Force 5 uses sidepull caliper brakes. As I understand the RANS web page, the limiting factor
    > will be the tire size that will fit within the "arch" of the brake - typically around 40-mm for a
    > normal reach sidepull.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Bryan Ball" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]e>...
    > A Shimano 105 dual pivot with the longer arms should work.

    *Just* to be finicky: there's no "105" long-reach dual-pivot caliper now available. Shimano makes
    two long-reach calipers: the A550 grade and the R600 grade. These correspond to one step below "105"
    grade (old RX-100) and to "Ultegra" grade. Here's some additional references:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#calipers
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0610
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0611

    I'm not sure any of these would allow ISO 559 wheels and ISO 571 wheels on the same frame and brake
    caliper. The brake mounting would have to be awfully exact to allow this to happen, and the brake
    shoes would need to be at the ends of the adjustment slots.

    There's another option- apparently the Kogswell folks have found a dual-pivot brake with more
    adjustment than the others. It's tough to find, so here's a quote from
    http://kogswell.com/order2.html :

    "Derailleur Frameset: Oops, I did it again. When I spec'd these frames, I did my best to set them up
    so that they could be used with the Tektro and Shimano brakes that have 47 to 57 millimeters of
    reach. This is a popular setup right now because it affords lots of tire and fender clearance. And
    the builder tried to get the frames built right, but in the end they set them up so that the brake
    pads reach the very top of a 700C rim. That's just too close for my comfort. But, luckily, the new
    longer reach brakes have come to the rescue. They fit just fine and allow for lots of adjustment."

    Happy braking.

    Jeff

  7. Bryan Ball

    Bryan Ball Guest

    I'm fairly certain that they also make a 105 version. At least the did the last time I had a
    "Quality" wholesaler catalog.

    "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Bryan Ball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > A Shimano 105 dual pivot with the longer arms should work.
    > >

    > *Just* to be finicky: there's no "105" long-reach dual-pivot caliper now available. Shimano makes
    > two long-reach calipers: the A550 grade and the R600 grade. These correspond to one step below
    > "105" grade (old RX-100) and to "Ultegra" grade. Here's some additional references:
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#calipers
    > http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0610
    > http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=BR0611
    >
    > I'm not sure any of these would allow ISO 559 wheels and ISO 571 wheels on the same frame and
    > brake caliper. The brake mounting would have to be awfully exact to allow this to happen, and the
    > brake shoes would need to be at the ends of the adjustment slots.
    >
    > There's another option- apparently the Kogswell folks have found a dual-pivot brake with more
    > adjustment than the others. It's tough to find, so here's a quote from
    > http://kogswell.com/order2.html :
    >
    > "Derailleur Frameset: Oops, I did it again. When I spec'd these frames, I did my best to set them
    > up so that they could be used with the Tektro and Shimano brakes that have 47 to 57 millimeters of
    > reach. This is a popular setup right now because it affords lots of tire and fender clearance. And
    > the builder tried to get the frames built right, but in the end they set them up so that the brake
    > pads reach the very top of a 700C rim. That's just too close for my comfort. But, luckily, the new
    > longer reach brakes have come to the rescue. They fit just fine and allow for lots of adjustment."
    >
    > Happy braking.
    >
    > Jeff

    ---

  8. Rick Steele

    Rick Steele Guest

    "Bryan Ball" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I'm fairly certain that they also make a 105 version. At least the did
    the
    > last time I had a "Quality" wholesaler catalog.

    Just checked! Shimano's BR-A550 with 47-57mm reach are priced below the 105's so I would suspect the
    quality is a step down. However, the BR-R600 with 47-57mm reach is priced near the same as Ultegra
    and I would suspect it to be of similar quality.

    --
    Rick Steele

    Gold Country Cyclery Cameron Park, CA 95682 http://www.tandems-recumbents.com

  9. Wheel Doctor

    Wheel Doctor Guest

    Hi Rick, My thoughts also. I have a set of the BR-R600 and they are identical to the BR-6500 Ultegra
    cept for the longer reach. These went on a repainted mid 70's custom frame made by Proteus of
    College Park, MD. The original frame was built for 27" wheels. The longer reach will allow for the
    use of 700c wheels.

    Jude

    "Rick Steele" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Bryan Ball" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > I'm fairly certain that they also make a 105 version. At least the did
    > the
    > > last time I had a "Quality" wholesaler catalog.
    >
    > Just checked! Shimano's BR-A550 with 47-57mm reach are priced below the 105's so I would suspect
    > the quality is a step down. However, the BR-R600 with 47-57mm reach is priced near the same as
    > Ultegra and I would suspect
    it