Rans Rocket - knee interference

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Arthur Yeates, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Arthur Yeates

    Arthur Yeates New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2003
    I have a new 2003 Rans Rocket with the handlebars set "forwards". My knee interferes with (strikes) the bar while pedaling. Will rotating the bars to place the curve at the top of the handlebar stem facing the rear improve the situation? Any other fixes available. I am 6'-0" tall and this interference seems unreasonable.

    This is my second Rocket and I also ride a Rans V2. I am not a novice. The Rocket is my commuter "rat" bike.

    Tags:

  2. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    Isn't there a height adjustment at the bottom of the risor, similar to that on a V-Rex? Two Allen head screws and I think you can gain some height on the risor.

    :)

  3. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    I'm 6-3 and don't get interferance. I'm kind of a tinkerer and I still experiment with my seat
    position/angle and bars to see how things will work out.

    Can you extend the bars toward you a bit more? As I got my bike, I was able to get another 1/2 to
    3/4 inch length out of the riser and still have a comfortable safety margin to tighten them up.

  4. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Arthur Yeates wrote:
    > I have a new 2003 Rans Rocket with the handlebars set "forwards". My knee interferes with
    > (strikes) the bar while pedaling. Will rotating the bars to place the curve at the top of the
    > handlebar stem facing the rear improve the situation? Any other fixes available. I am 6'-0" tall
    > and this interference seems unreasonable.
    >
    > This is my second Rocket and I also ride a Rans V2. I am not a novice. The Rocket is my commuter
    > "rat" bike.

    Normal positioning for the riser is to curve back toward the rider. It sounds like your Rocket has
    the riser reversed to the A.P.E. position. The solution is simple (at least on paper): put the riser
    back in its o.e.m. position.
    --

    John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

  5. Mike Warner

    Mike Warner Guest

    Arthur Yeates wrote:

    > I have a new 2003 Rans Rocket with the handlebars set "forwards". My knee interferes with
    > (strikes) the bar while pedaling. Will rotating the bars to place the curve at the top of the
    > handlebar stem facing the rear improve the situation? Any other fixes available. I am 6'-0" tall
    > and this interference seems unreasonable.
    >
    > This is my second Rocket and I also ride a Rans V2. I am not a novice. The Rocket is my commuter
    > "rat" bike.

    Why are you setting the handlebars forward of the knee? IMO, the handlebars should be set behind the
    knee. The more forward the riser, the more the front wheel tends to spin like a top around the
    headset-axis, exacerbating twitchiness. The more rearward the riser, the less the torque required to
    counteract the tendency of the front wheel to spin around the headset-axis.

    mc
    --
    Replace "crap" with "warnerm" in my email addr

  6. Arthur Yeates

    Arthur Yeates New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2003