Rans Rocket Shifters

Sprawling

Guest
My 2002 Rocket rear derailer has 7.0 sram shifters which I do not like. I would like to either
switch the shifter to something smoother or just swap out the whole derailer and shifter combo. The
shifter itself has a hard shifting feel. My ez-1 with the cheap grip shifs feel so much smoother.
Since I'm in the process of changing the handlebars over to terracycle 44cm x 55 deg bars, I figured
I'd take care of the things I don't like on the bike. I'm also changing the sram 7.0 brakes with a
set of Avid Arch Rival brakes and levers. So, if anybody has some suggestions on what to do about
that rear derailer shifter I'd appreciate the input.

let us know what gearing you have,7,8, or 9sp. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

I also found the SRAM 7.0 twist-grip shifters on my '02 Rocket to be difficult to use. On a hot day,
when my hands were sweaty, I often could not shift the front one at all. I switched to SRAM 9.0
twist-grip shifters ("shorties") (and swapped the cassette from 8 speeds to 9 at the same time), and
I find the 9.0 shifters to be much easier to use; very smooth, not difficult to turn. I'm still
running the original SRAM rear and SORA front deraillers.

Bruce Jameison

Sprawling wrote:
> My 2002 Rocket rear derailer has 7.0 sram shifters which I do not like. I would like to either
> switch the shifter to something smoother or just swap out the whole derailer and shifter combo.
> The shifter itself has a hard shifting feel. My ez-1 with the cheap grip shifs feel so much
> smoother. Since I'm in the process of changing the handlebars over to terracycle 44cm x 55 deg
> bars, I figured I'd take care of the things I don't like on the bike. I'm also changing the sram
> 7.0 brakes with a set of Avid Arch Rival brakes and levers. So, if anybody has some suggestions on
> what to do about that rear derailer shifter I'd appreciate the input.

I have 8 speed gearing on the rear.

Sprawling ez-1 2002 Rocket

[email protected] (Guess Who I Am) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> let us know what gearing you have,7,8, or 9sp. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

I have 7.0 shifters on my '01 Rocket. After trial & error, here's the method I use to adjust the
left (front) shifter: Screw adjusting barrel all the way in (clockwise). Disconnect cable from
derailleur, move shifter one click to the right of shift position #1 (furthest left position),
reconnect cable and unscrew adjusting barrel 1+ turns (to take up a bit more slack). This allows for
less tension on the cable = easier shifting. Now large ring corresponds to shift position
#3 (i.e shifter rotated all the way to the right), middle ring
corresponds to a shifter position two clicks left of #3 (marked with paint pencil) and small ring
corrsponds to shift position 4 clicks left of middle ring pencil mark (and also marked).

bruce <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I also found the SRAM 7.0 twist-grip shifters on my '02 Rocket to be difficult to use. On a hot
> day, when my hands were sweaty, I often could not shift the front one at all. I switched to SRAM
> 9.0 twist-grip shifters ("shorties") (and swapped the cassette from 8 speeds to 9 at the same
> time), and I find the 9.0 shifters to be much easier to use; very smooth, not difficult to turn.
> I'm still running the original SRAM rear and SORA front deraillers.
>
> Bruce Jameison
>
> Sprawling wrote:
> > My 2002 Rocket rear derailer has 7.0 sram shifters which I do not like. I would like to either
> > switch the shifter to something smoother or just swap out the whole derailer and shifter combo.
> > The shifter itself has a hard shifting feel. My ez-1 with the cheap grip shifs feel so much
> > smoother. Since I'm in the process of changing the handlebars over to terracycle 44cm x 55 deg
> > bars, I figured I'd take care of the things I don't like on the bike. I'm also changing the sram
> > 7.0 brakes with a set of Avid Arch Rival brakes and levers. So, if anybody has some suggestions
> > on what to do about that rear derailer shifter I'd appreciate the input.

Hello: if you want a flawless shifting system then go with the Sram XO re der and a 105 Ft sram 9.0
8sp shifters shimano 8sp dura ace chain and a xt or xtr 8sp cassette along with teflon slick cables
and housing. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

Bruce,

What brand of 9 speed cassette did you use? Did you have to replace the chain?

Sprawling

rans rocket ez-1

> bruce <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I also found the SRAM 7.0 twist-grip shifters on my '02 Rocket to be difficult to use. On a hot
> > day, when my hands were sweaty, I often could not shift the front one at all. I switched to SRAM
> > 9.0 twist-grip shifters ("shorties") (and swapped the cassette from 8 speeds to 9 at the same
> > time), and I find the 9.0 shifters to be much easier to use; very smooth, not difficult to turn.
> > I'm still running the original SRAM rear and SORA front deraillers.
> >
> > Bruce Jameison
> >
> > Sprawling wrote:
> > > My 2002 Rocket rear derailer has 7.0 sram shifters which I do not like. I would like to either
> > > switch the shifter to something smoother or just swap out the whole derailer and shifter
> > > combo. The shifter itself has a hard shifting feel. My ez-1 with the cheap grip shifs feel so
> > > much smoother. Since I'm in the process of changing the handlebars over to terracycle 44cm x
> > > 55 deg bars, I figured I'd take care of the things I don't like on the bike. I'm also changing
> > > the sram 7.0 brakes with a set of Avid Arch Rival brakes and levers. So, if anybody has some
> > > suggestions on what to do about that rear derailer shifter I'd appreciate the input.

I used a Shimano M750 cassette, 11-34 teeth. Yes, to switch from eight speeds to nine, you must
replace the chain. I'm using a SRAM PC69. Nice chain - doesn't rust when I get caught in the rain,
and shifts nicely.

However, that being said, when I first swapped the parts, the FRONT derailler wouldn't shift on to
the large chain ring under any circumstances, and shifting to the small chainring usually tossed the
chain off to the inside of the small ring.

Here's what I found, and how I corrected it, in case anyone else has this problem: The front
derailler was set up with about 1/2 inch of clearance between it and the large chain ring. Moving it
lower on the mounting tube, as close to the large chain ring as possible, improved the situation a
great deal.

Not willing to settle for "reasonably good" shifting, I removed the front derailler and ground away
some metal from the lower rear part of the derailler cage, so that the curve of the cage more
closely matched the curve of the large chain ring. I was then able to move the derailler to where it
clears the large chain ring by about 2mm, and it now shifts VERY precisely, smoothly, and easily.

Bruce