Rans Rocket?

GoHabsGo

Guest
Hi all,

I've lurked here for quite some time and hope to get some feedback from
you pros about the RANS Rocket. I am considering this as my first 'bent
sometime early this spring probably around April.

When do the new models become available?

Does anyone know if the newer Rockets will be much different than last
year's model?

What are the most useful upgrades on a new Rocket, or is that something
that should only be considered after riding for a while?

What is a good price for a Rocket?

Are there any other brands you would recommend over the Rocket that would
be in the same price range?

I humbly ask for you feedback if you have time.

Thanks,

Larry

GoHabsGo said:
Hi all,

I've lurked here for quite some time and hope to get some feedback from
you pros about the RANS Rocket. I am considering this as my first 'bent
sometime early this spring probably around April.

When do the new models become available?

You should ask RANS about that.

Does anyone know if the newer Rockets will be much different than last
year's model?

You should ask RANS about that.

What are the most useful upgrades on a new Rocket, or is that something
that should only be considered after riding for a while?

Probably ride a while, unless there are some things you know you want and you can get a package deal. It's a shame to start tossing components shortly after your purchase. Lurk some more, and you will possibly find some components you really can't do without. There goes the budget!

What is a good price for a Rocket?

Start collecting prices on eBay now. You could also watch BROL. Others may chip in with sites to watch. These are pretty popular bikes, judging by how few have appeared for sale in the last several months.

Are there any other brands you would recommend over the Rocket that would
be in the same price range?

I humbly ask for you feedback if you have time.

Thanks,

Larry
Best advice I got was "ride everything you can get your butt on." It's not unusual to drive several hours, one way, to test ride 'bents. The good ones are not cheap, and it's your body that has to fit the bike. I started out looking at "entry level" LWB models. When I finally made a decision, after many hours driving and many hours on various bents, I bought a modified Strada.

Long way from an entry level LWB, however, nothing else produced that blissful grin for me.

You might also research the BROL forum. It is more active than this one.

Hi. I'm new to benting. About 3 months ago I decided to buy a bent and did
some research - and spent a day doing some test riding. I test rode a
Rocket, a VRex SWB, a Lightning something-or-other SWB, and a Veloteknik
comfort-something-or-other CLWB. I bought a Rocket and have been very happy
with it. Why did I pick the Rocket?

1. Did not want to spend too much money for fear that I would not follow
through with regular riding.
2. Read a lot of good things about the Rocket
3. Did not care that it may not be fast enough, being a bike with 2 small
wheels. I did not anticpate having to go fast or keep up with anybody else.
4. It was small and was one of the few bikes that looked like it would fit
in the back of my hatchback.

Gook luck with your decision. Rich.

news:[email protected]...

Hull 697 wrote:
> *-You might also research the BROL forum. It is more active than this
> one.-...

That forum is full of self-congratulatory mopes and is also censored.

--
Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
Post Free or Die!

Richard Greenberg wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to benting. About 3 months ago I decided to buy a bent and did
> some research - and spent a day doing some test riding. I test rode a
> Rocket, a VRex SWB, a Lightning something-or-other SWB, and a Veloteknik
> comfort-something-or-other CLWB. I bought a Rocket and have been very happy
> with it....

I am going to say it - I told you so! ;)

--
Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
Post Free or Die!

GoHabsGo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've lurked here for quite some time and hope to get some feedback from
> you pros about the RANS Rocket. I am considering this as my first 'bent
> sometime early this spring probably around April.
>
> When do the new models become available?
>
> Does anyone know if the newer Rockets will be much different than last
> year's model?
>
> What are the most useful upgrades on a new Rocket, or is that something
> that should only be considered after riding for a while?

Replace the stock brake pads with Kool Stop "salmon" pads [1] to
improve braking power and greatly increase the life of the rim (due to
reduced brake track wear).

Some people could use lower than stock gearing, and the stock Primo
Comet tires do not have the best traction on wet roads.

Fenders are necessary for riding in the rain. Get one of the seat back
bags and/or the HT rack [2] for light cargo, and the under seat rack
for touring.

> What is a good price for a Rocket?

The RANS Rocket is still an excellent value at full MRSP.

> Are there any other brands you would recommend over the Rocket that would
> be in the same price range?

No.

> I humbly ask for you feedback if you have time.

Riding a RANS Rocket is more fun than watching the Canadiens play
hockey. You will not find a more fun bike to ride unless you happen to
find a used Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] for sale.

[1] See <http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html>.
[2] Regular racks interfere with the Sprint Braces (seat struts).

--
Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
Post Free or Die!

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hull 697 wrote:
>> *-You might also research the BROL forum. It is more active than this
>> one.-...

> That forum is full of self-congratulatory mopes and is also censored.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
> Post Free or Die!

As much as I disagree with Mr. Sherman on most things under the sun, I
certainly do agree with him about this. If you are faint of heart and
essentially more of a mouse than a man, then you might well be happier on
BROL. However, the give and take of unfettered opinions on ARBR is something
that we should cherish. BROL is dead and ARBR is not. That is the difference
and it is all the difference in the world. Even a horror like Ed Gin can not
turn me off of ARBR.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
> Riding a RANS Rocket is more fun than watching the Canadiens play
> hockey. You will not find a more fun bike to ride unless you happen to
> find a used Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] for sale.

Mr. Sherman's love affair with the Rocket has always puzzled me. I guess I
would actually have to ride it in order to know what he is talking about,
but it seems to me that a SWB is a SWB.

Do only the Canadiens play hockey or do not also the Canadians play hockey?

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> > Riding a RANS Rocket is more fun than watching the Canadiens play
> > hockey. You will not find a more fun bike to ride unless you happen to
> > find a used Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] for sale.

> Mr. Sherman's love affair with the Rocket has always puzzled me. I guess I
> would actually have to ride it in order to know what he is talking about,
> but it seems to me that a SWB is a SWB.

One has to ride a bicycle to truly understand how it handles - words
and equations are inadequate.

> Do only the Canadiens play hockey or do not also the Canadians play hockey?

See <http://www.canadiens.com/> for the website of "Le Habs". In this
case "Canadiens" is the proper name of an organization.

Of course, I expect Mr. Ed is more familiar with "horse hockey". ;)

--
Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
Post Free or Die!

Hi. You mentioned that you think the Kool Stop Salmon brake pads are a good
upgrade for the Rocket.

"http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

Are the pads found at the link above the ones you would recommend for the
Rocket as opposed to any of the other Kool Stop choices? Did you mount them
with some toe-in on your Rocket, or parallel to the rims?

Thanks, Rich

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> GoHabsGo wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've lurked here for quite some time and hope to get some feedback from
> > you pros about the RANS Rocket. I am considering this as my first 'bent
> > sometime early this spring probably around April.
> >
> > When do the new models become available?
> >
> > Does anyone know if the newer Rockets will be much different than last
> > year's model?
> >
> > What are the most useful upgrades on a new Rocket, or is that something
> > that should only be considered after riding for a while?

> Replace the stock brake pads with Kool Stop "salmon" pads [1] to
> improve braking power and greatly increase the life of the rim (due to
> reduced brake track wear).
>
> Some people could use lower than stock gearing, and the stock Primo
> Comet tires do not have the best traction on wet roads.
>
> Fenders are necessary for riding in the rain. Get one of the seat back
> bags and/or the HT rack [2] for light cargo, and the under seat rack
> for touring.
>
> > What is a good price for a Rocket?

> The RANS Rocket is still an excellent value at full MRSP.
>
> > Are there any other brands you would recommend over the Rocket that

would
> > be in the same price range?

> No.
>
> > I humbly ask for you feedback if you have time.

> Riding a RANS Rocket is more fun than watching the Canadiens play
> hockey. You will not find a more fun bike to ride unless you happen to
> find a used Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] for sale.
>
> [1] See <http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html>.
> [2] Regular racks interfere with the Sprint Braces (seat struts).
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
> Post Free or Die!

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> [...]
>> > Riding a RANS Rocket is more fun than watching the Canadiens play
>> > hockey ...

[,,,]

>> Do only the Canadiens play hockey or do not also the Canadians play
>> hockey?

> See <http://www.canadiens.com/> for the website of "Le Habs". In this
> case "Canadiens" is the proper name of an organization.
>
> Of course, I expect Mr. Ed is more familiar with "horse hockey". ;)

The one sure way to get a response out of Mr. Sherman is to trip him up on
his use of the language. Canadien is of course the French for Canadian and
it will normally refer to the French Canadians of the Province of Quebec.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

> Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
> Post Free or Die!

PS. I like the "Post Free or Die" bit. It is a nice play on the "Live Free
or Die", the New Hampshire state motto.

Richard Greenberg wrote:
> Hi. You mentioned that you think the Kool Stop Salmon brake pads are a good
> upgrade for the Rocket.
>
> "http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html
>
> Are the pads found at the link above the ones you would recommend for the
> Rocket as opposed to any of the other Kool Stop choices? Did you mount them
> with some toe-in on your Rocket, or parallel to the rims?

I would get the "Kool Stop BMX Salmon" for a RANS Rocket since they
have the proper curvature to fit ISO 406-mm rims. [1]. The "salmon"
colored pads have the Scott-Mathauser compound (containing iron oxide)
which is superior to the compound used in black and red Kool Stop pads.

I toe the brakes in using the thickness of the commonly available
copper-plated zinc discs with a portrait of Mr. Lincoln on them as a
guide. You can get these discs at any US bank for $0.01/each. ;)

[1] These pads were not available when I exchanged pads on my Rocket,
so I have the "Kool Stop Thinline Threaded" pads instead.

--
Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
Post Free or Die!

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
>> Riding a RANS Rocket is more fun than watching the Canadiens play
>> hockey. You will not find a more fun bike to ride unless you happen
>> to find a used Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] for sale.

> Mr. Sherman's love affair with the Rocket has always puzzled me. I
> guess I would actually have to ride it in order to know what he is
> talking about, but it seems to me that a SWB is a SWB.
>
> Do only the Canadiens play hockey or do not also the Canadians play
> hockey?

Both. The Canadiens are the NHL team. Canadians would refer to both men's
and women's national teams that are currently defending their Olympic gold
medals in Torino.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Are the brakes that bad that they need to be replaced? I guess I would
find out by a trial, eh?

How about the other components, such as derailers, shifters and pedals?
Are they adequate for a first timer? My current MTB has Shimano Deore LX
derailers with Gripshift shifters that have held up quite well for about 14
years. How would the Rocket's components measure up to these?

Also, I use toe clips on my MTB and wear regular shoes. Is this possible
to do on a 'bent or is there a preferred pedal system?

Thanks again,

Larry

GoHabsGo wrote:
> Thanks for all the feedback so far!
>
> Are the brakes that bad that they need to be replaced? I guess I would
> find out by a trial, eh?

The brakes do not need to be replaced, just the pads. Kool Stop Scott
Mathauser compound (salmon color only) pads do not accumulate embedded
pieces of grit that will gouge the braking track on the rim the way
almost all other brake pads will. A replacement rim and relacing by a
competent wheel builder will typically cost $50+ per wheel. In
addition, braking power in the rain is much better with the "salmon"
pads compared to normal compound pads.

> How about the other components, such as derailers, shifters and pedals?
> Are they adequate for a first timer? My current MTB has Shimano Deore LX
> derailers with Gripshift shifters that have held up quite well for about 14
> years. How would the Rocket's components measure up to these?

The stock components on the RANS Rocket will work well enough (except
for the brake pads and pedals) I would not bother to upgrade them until
they wear out.

> Also, I use toe clips on my MTB and wear regular shoes. Is this possible
> to do on a 'bent or is there a preferred pedal system?...

Any bike with the pedals higher than the seat (e.g. RANS Rocket) needs
some type of foot retention system for anything but short rides.

--
Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
Post Free or Die!

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Edward Dolan wrote:
> >> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...
> >> [...]

> [,,,]
>
> >> Do only the Canadiens play hockey or do not also the Canadians play
> >> hockey?

> > See <http://www.canadiens.com/> for the website of "Le Habs". In this
> > case "Canadiens" is the proper name of an organization.
> >
> > Of course, I expect Mr. Ed is more familiar with "horse hockey". ;)

> The one sure way to get a response out of Mr. Sherman is to trip him up on
> his use of the language. Canadien is of course the French for Canadian and
> it will normally refer to the French Canadians of the Province of Quebec.

Yo Eddie,

Canadiens (sic) is the proper name of the Montreal NHL franchise, which
has the nickname "Le Habs". Since the original poster uses the display
name of "GoHabsGo", my comparison was naturally to the Canadiens (sic)
NHL hockey team. Duh!

--

No, here is what you wrote:

"Riding a RANS Rocket is more fun than watching the Canadiens play
hockey. You will not find a more fun bike to ride unless you happen to
find a used Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] for sale."

You did not reference anything other than hockey. No mention of Montreal or
the NHL. Others can be excused this kind of sloppiness, but we expect more
of someone who writes legal briefs for engineering firms where every i has
to be dotted and every t has to be crossed. Canadien and Canadian belong to
two different languages. Since you were writing English for English readers,
we expect you to be consistent in the use of the language and not to be
jumping back and forth as suits your fancy.

Edward Dolan aka Mr. Ed wrote:
> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> >> The one sure way to get a response out of Mr. Sherman is to trip him up
> >> on
> >> his use of the language. Canadien is of course the French for Canadian
> >> and
> >> it will normally refer to the French Canadians of the Province of Quebec.

> > Yo Eddie,
> >
> > Canadiens (sic) is the proper name of the Montreal NHL franchise, which
> > has the nickname "Le Habs". Since the original poster uses the display
> > name of "GoHabsGo", my comparison was naturally to the Canadiens (sic)
> > NHL hockey team. Duh!

> No, here is what you wrote:
>
> "Riding a RANS Rocket is more fun than watching the Canadiens play
> hockey. You will not find a more fun bike to ride unless you happen to
> find a used Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] for sale."
>
> You did not reference anything other than hockey. No mention of Montreal or
> the NHL. Others can be excused this kind of sloppiness, but we expect more
> of someone who writes legal briefs for engineering firms where every i has
> to be dotted and every t has to be crossed. Canadien and Canadian belong to
> two different languages. Since you were writing English for English readers,
> we expect you to be consistent in the use of the language and not to be
> jumping back and forth as suits your fancy.

Context Eddie, context!

--
Tom Sherman - (In Transition)
Post Free or Die!

I ride a paved but rough (in some sections) trail in the Chicago area (the
North Branch trail) and the addition of the RST suspension fork to my Rocket
has made an unbelievable difference. Since I added the new fork the ride on
my Rocket is much smoother than my LWB Stratus. Jordan at RANS agreed that
almost any 20 x 20 should have suspension.

"GoHabsGo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I've lurked here for quite some time and hope to get some feedback from
> you pros about the RANS Rocket. I am considering this as my first 'bent
> sometime early this spring probably around April.
>
> When do the new models become available?
>
> Does anyone know if the newer Rockets will be much different than last
> year's model?
>
> What are the most useful upgrades on a new Rocket, or is that something
> that should only be considered after riding for a while?
>
> What is a good price for a Rocket?
>
> Are there any other brands you would recommend over the Rocket that would
> be in the same price range?
>
> I humbly ask for you feedback if you have time.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

In all fairness I should say "Jordan at RANS agreed that the ride of almost
any 20 x 20 would be improved by the addition of a suspension fork."

news:p[email protected]...