RANS Screamer timing chain problems

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Duncan Cooper, May 21, 2003.

  1. I own an earily model Screamer which uses an adjustable idler wheel to tension the timing chain
    rather than eccentrics. After throwing the timing chain a few times and adjusting the tensioner to
    it's max limit, I decided to change the chain. I measured a foot of chain and found the stretch to
    be 1/16", so my book sez it's worn..... So off I go to my LBS...

    I replaced the chain with a SRAM PC4B, a 7 spd chain similar to the old one. Problem is, regardless
    of how I adjust the chain, it's 1 link too short of the proper length. In order to make the
    male/female ends of the chain match up, adding 2 links makes it longer than the idler can adjust.
    Without the 2 links it's way too tight.... I'm caught in the middle. I'm not too fond of the idea of
    hoping the chainpins wear faster than the BB bearings, and "living with" the tightness until it
    looses up.

    Has anyone had the same problem ? How can I resolve it ?

    Thanks for any assistance you may have.

    J Duncan Cooper Cleveland, Ohio

    Tags:

  2. Akensmith

    Akensmith Guest

    >Has anyone had the same problem ? How can I resolve it? >>

    Have you tried calling RANS? RANS customer service really is quite good.

    Norm

  3. > Have you tried calling RANS? RANS customer service really is quite good.

    Yes; that's my next move. I was hoping somebody would say something that solved the problem and
    would make me slap my forehead like Homer....Dooooh !

  4. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    [email protected] (Duncan Cooper) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I own an earily model Screamer which uses an adjustable idler wheel to tension the timing chain
    > rather than eccentrics. After throwing the timing chain a few times and adjusting the tensioner to
    > it's max limit, I decided to change the chain.

    J,

    If the chain has worn that much then the sprockets might be worn also and that might account for the
    difference.

    If it worked when it was new then you should be able to go back to that condition and have it
    work again.

    Jerry

  5. ,> If the chain has worn that much then the sprockets might be worn also
    > and that might account for the difference.

    I was wondering about that... The sprockets (34 tooth) didn't show perceptible wear ( or "tooth" as
    motorcyclists call it), but a small difference in radius on both ends may make up for some of the
    slack in the +2 link configuration. Additionally I may try a pair of 32 tooth timing gears, and hope
    the smaller radius will allow a better chain fit.

    I wrote to RANS, and they answered me within 6 hours ! Talk about prompt service ! They're sending
    me a new adjuster bar with longer take-up capability. I'm not sure that will help, as the lower half
    of the chain may interfere with the upper half.

    I'm also beginning to think about putting the old chain back on....sigh...

    Coop