Rans Seat Fabric Squeeking

Bob Slebodnik

Guest
Does anyone have a remedy for the squeeking noise that the Rans seat
fabric can make while one is pedaling? I have the adjustment straps
tightened as much as I can get them tightened. I have a 2003 Rans
Velocity Squared. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.

Bob Slebodnik

Bob:

I've never found a remedy. I have a '99 V-Rex.

--
--Scott
"Bob Slebodnik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have a remedy for the squeeking noise that the Rans seat
> fabric can make while one is pedaling? I have the adjustment straps
> tightened as much as I can get them tightened. I have a 2003 Rans
> Velocity Squared. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.
>
> Bob Slebodnik

Bob:

I should say that I've tried the following:

WD40, beeswax, White Lightning, ProGold, covering the seat frame with inner
tube rubber, and a few other remedies I'm too embarassed to mention. The
main problem is that the seat fabric wraps around the seat post. You could
fabricate a different sort of seat back, with grommets and lacing, so that
the fabric is *between* the side tubes rather than wrapped around them,
similar to the Lightning seats. Of course, then the lacing material might
squeak if you weren't careful about what you use.

--
--Scott
"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob:
>
> I've never found a remedy. I have a '99 V-Rex.
>
> --
> --Scott
> "Bob Slebodnik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone have a remedy for the squeeking noise that the Rans seat
> > fabric can make while one is pedaling? I have the adjustment straps
> > tightened as much as I can get them tightened. I have a 2003 Rans
> > Velocity Squared. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.
> >
> > Bob Slebodnik

On the other hand, a fellow up above notes that using that sort of grommet
design tend to chafe the lacing material, which then breaks. But Greenspeed
has been using this sort of design for some time, so maybe they use special
grommets or something.

--
--Scott
"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob:
>
> I should say that I've tried the following:
>
> WD40, beeswax, White Lightning, ProGold, covering the seat frame with

inner
> tube rubber, and a few other remedies I'm too embarassed to mention. The
> main problem is that the seat fabric wraps around the seat post. You

could
> fabricate a different sort of seat back, with grommets and lacing, so that
> the fabric is *between* the side tubes rather than wrapped around them,
> similar to the Lightning seats. Of course, then the lacing material might
> squeak if you weren't careful about what you use.
>
> --
> --Scott
> "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Bob:
> >
> > I've never found a remedy. I have a '99 V-Rex.
> >
> > --
> > --Scott
> > "Bob Slebodnik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Does anyone have a remedy for the squeeking noise that the Rans seat
> > > fabric can make while one is pedaling? I have the adjustment straps
> > > tightened as much as I can get them tightened. I have a 2003 Rans
> > > Velocity Squared. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.
> > >
> > > Bob Slebodnik

"Bob Slebodnik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone have a remedy for the squeeking noise that the Rans seat
> fabric can make while one is pedaling? I have the adjustment straps
> tightened as much as I can get them tightened. I have a 2003 Rans
> Velocity Squared. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.

So THAT'S what is making that darned squeaking noise! That little squeak
has been bugging me for many months- never could track down the source.
Thanks for the info.

Just a thought: If you can't cinch it down, why not drip some White
Lightning on the suspected squeaking areas? It is thin enough that it
should soak right through the mesh and lube the nylon/metal interface
sufficient to cure the squeak. Removing the seat cover and rubbing parrafin
or bee's wax on the contact areas would be another possibility.

@

Do you guys have the seat back bottle cages installed?

I remember that Scott epoxied his seat back tubes, but that didn't stop the
squeaking. I had my VREX seat apart to rerivet and epoxy the the seat back
tubes. One of the rivets had failed and the seat frame creaked. After the
repair and a new fabric, the noise went away. No fabric squeak.

The center line of my old seat fabric never looked 'on center', yet it was
too tight to pull to adjust it, even though the fabric was a long way from
taut. I figured that deformation was caused by some non symmetric pedalling
motion or posture. The bottle cages anchored the cover so any seat back
rotation was limited by bottle cage screws and the fabric couldn't act as a
bow pulling across a violin string, making the frame resonate in the form of
squeakage. Have either of you restrung your seat a bit on the loose side to
damp the bow and string affect?

"@" <@@@.com> wrote in message news:gqUDc.129304$Sw.39447@attbi_s51...
> "Bob Slebodnik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone have a remedy for the squeeking noise that the Rans seat
> > fabric can make while one is pedaling? I have the adjustment straps
> > tightened as much as I can get them tightened. I have a 2003 Rans
> > Velocity Squared. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.

> So THAT'S what is making that darned squeaking noise! That little squeak
> has been bugging me for many months- never could track down the source.
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Just a thought: If you can't cinch it down, why not drip some White
> Lightning on the suspected squeaking areas? It is thin enough that it
> should soak right through the mesh and lube the nylon/metal interface
> sufficient to cure the squeak. Removing the seat cover and rubbing

parrafin
> or bee's wax on the contact areas would be another possibility.
>
> @

Harv:

"Do you guys have the seat back bottle cages installed?

I remember that Scott epoxied his seat back tubes, but that didn't stop the
squeaking. I had my VREX seat apart to rerivet and epoxy the the seat back
tubes. One of the rivets had failed and the seat frame creaked. After the
repair and a new fabric, the noise went away. No fabric squeak."

John Schlitter is the one who suggested the epoxy, and that plus some tight
screws in the seatback helped reduce the amount of squeaking. But the
fabric itself squeaks too, and I have to permanent cure for that. One can
spray or apply various libricants though. Usually the squeaking is created
where the fabric wraps around the tube. But lubricants may also impact the
intergrity of the fabric. I found that bees wax didn't do a damn thing, but
I never tried parrafin.

--
--Scott
news:[email protected]...