RANS seat mods

carpe_slug

Guest
I know RANS was doing beta testing on a seat mod to make it more
comfortable. Does anyone know if the mods really work? We have a
Screamer and my stoker is off the bike due to doctors orders. Should
we get the mods or look for a new seat?

[email protected] (carpe_slug) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I know RANS was doing beta testing on a seat mod to make it more
> comfortable. Does anyone know if the mods really work? We have a
> Screamer and my stoker is off the bike due to doctors orders. Should
> we get the mods or look for a new seat?

i had them modify mine, but i really haven't put the miles on the bike
in hilly areas since than to give a good report, it does seem to work
on the flats, but i really experienced the problem on steep climbing.
it wasn't a muscular comfort factor for the seat that the mods are
for.
the seat pan was digging into the tail bone area, you would know
since it leaves a blister or a sore

[email protected] (mike) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (carpe_slug) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > I know RANS was doing beta testing on a seat mod to make it more
> > comfortable. Does anyone know if the mods really work? We have a
> > Screamer and my stoker is off the bike due to doctors orders. Should
> > we get the mods or look for a new seat?

From the feedback i have heard the beta program did work but this is a
program not promoted by RANS since the big blow-up. It requires your
sending your seats in to them, their doing the change, and then
shipping them back. I don't know who pays the costs. Alternatively,
some other solutions which affected riders have come up with are:

1. Filing down the rear seat pan lip (it is the lip which causes the
problem, not the pad as RANS claims),
2. Adding additional foam around the lip to soften (but not eliminate)
the lip issue,
3. Replacing the seat cushion with a denser foam and making sure that
the foam totally encapsulates the rear lip,
4. Bending the brace bars and forms to bring the seat back closer to
the rear of the seat pan,
5. Living with it.

The seat problem is not endemic to all RANS seats which makes the
problem frustrating for the consumer. You may find other seats built
in the same year as your present seats which don't exhibit the problem
thus negating the claim that it is the rider fit and not the seat
which is the problem. Good luck on solving the problem. Of course,
you could try to switch to a zephyr seat. Reports are they don't dig
into your "rear" just your shoulder blades!

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo

Thanks for all the feedback. We went ahead and had the mod done to the
stoker seat. It was $30 and RANS was nice enough to Fed-Ex the seat
back to us. Unfortunatly, my stoker is still too sore to test out the
fix properly. It may be a month or two before I'll know if the mod
works!