RANS seat pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Dalen

I tried this to eliminate the pain I felt at the back of the RANS seat. The problem was that the pad
did not adequtely cover the rail at the back of the seat pan. Here's what I did.

I shortened the seat flutes to transfer more of my weight onto my back. I like a more reclined
position anyway.

The RANS seat foam is highly contoured on the bottom to fit over the contoured seat pan. The front
is particulary so. It's sculpted to fit over over the nose of the seat pan to prevent it from
sliding back. Well, it does this so well that the seat pad sits too far forward. I took a pair of
scissors and trimmed the bottom of the seat pad nose so that it slides further back on the seat,
thereby covering more of the seat rail in the back.

I also took three small sections of blue camping foam and inserted them into the seat back, which
created a sort of lumbar support.

I took a ride for about 18 miles this morning and the pain that I've felt before is completely gone.
I used to notice it after only a mile or so on the bike.

great tips Paul, thanks for sharing them.

Paul Dalen wrote:
> I tried this to eliminate the pain I felt at the back of the RANS seat. The problem was that the
> pad did not adequtely cover the rail at the back of the seat pan. Here's what I did.
>
> I shortened the seat flutes to transfer more of my weight onto my back. I like a more reclined
> position anyway.
>
> The RANS seat foam is highly contoured on the bottom to fit over the contoured seat pan. The front
> is particulary so. It's sculpted to fit over over the nose of the seat pan to prevent it from
> sliding back. Well, it does this so well that the seat pad sits too far forward. I took a pair of
> scissors and trimmed the bottom of the seat pad nose so that it slides further back on the seat,
> thereby covering more of the seat rail in the back.
>
> I also took three small sections of blue camping foam and inserted them into the seat back, which
> created a sort of lumbar support.
>
> I took a ride for about 18 miles this morning and the pain that I've felt before is completely
> gone. I used to notice it after only a mile or so on the bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.