Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

RANS V2 "Tweener" Handlebar mod

Started by Steve Christens · · Last activity · 1 post · 1,086 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
23 July 2003
Last activity
23 July 2003
Original author
Steve Christens
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,086
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. When I recently ordered a custom RANS V2 I was a bit concerned that I might not be able to easily
    reach the handlebars with the new open cockpit setup. So I special ordered it with the B-33 long
    riser and the B-37 double bent wide bars, to extend the reach.

    After I got the bike I loved the ride, but the bars were indeed so short that I couldn't recline the
    seat very much. So I ordered one of the older style risers from RANS that extended much further
    back. The downside to this riser (used on 2002 and 2001 V2s, and still used on the Stratus) is that
    it adds a fair amount of "tiller" to the steering.

    When I got the riser I decided to try mounting the B-37 double bent wide bar on it in place of the
    handle bar normally used with that riser (which is fairly short and only slightly curved). The
    combination of long riser and B-37 is essentially a RANS "tweener" setup, sort of like a Bachetta,
    with the grips out to the side and almost vertical. The reach is very comfortable, and more relaxed
    than the "superman" position, with your upper arm mostly at your side.

    The downside is the greater amount of tiller, which mostly affects low speed turns and starts. But
    that seems a small price to pay for the greater comfort of the grip and reach.

    Anyone with the old riser (an older style V2, or any Stratus) might enjoy this setup. The B-37 bar
    itself is only $20, but you will need to replace the cables and housings, which might add another
    $10 or so. (Remember you only need to buy two new cables, as the old rear brake and shift cable can
    be used in front. And you'll need a few feet of brake and shift housing.)

    Steve Christensen Midland, MI

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.