Rans Vivo rear air suspension

Arne

Guest
After being layed up for 2 years (the bent, not me).... I got my rans vivo
out for a ride. This is the first or 2nd year production model with the rear
air shock/suspension.

When I used the small high pressure pump to fill the unit, the pump had
something stuck and would not pump any air (maybe a check valve)... after
fiddling with it, I got the shock pumped up to about 125 psi, which is a bit
low, but it the pump kept bleeding off air at that pressure.

A few days later (yesterday), I went for a ride and it was a bit rough...
upon checking, the unit apparently had no pressure in it. So I pumped it up
to 125 again and took it for a ride and it seemed ok.... today, will check
and see if it held the pressure overnight.

The question is, then, since it was built in '98 or '99, is it to be
expected that the unit has to be rebuilt? The bent has about 500-600 miles
on it, but the seals are going on 5 years old......

Anyway, the shock is a Cane Creek AD-5.... can anyone tell me is it easy to
rebuild and who might carry a kit it my problem will not go away....?

Also, what is a good pump for this unit, as my pump might be another part of
the problem?

Thank you for any comments....

Arne

=====================

>Subject: Rans Vivo rear air suspension
>From: "Arne" [email protected]
>Date: 4/10/2004 5:32 AM US Eastern Standard Time
>
>After being layed up for 2 years (the bent, not me).... I got my rans vivo
>out for a ride. This is the first or 2nd year production model with the rear
>air shock/suspension.
>
>When I used the small high pressure pump to fill the unit, the pump had
>something stuck and would not pump any air (maybe a check valve)... after
>fiddling with it, I got the shock pumped up to about 125 psi, which is a bit
>low, but it the pump kept bleeding off air at that pressure.
>
>A few days later (yesterday), I went for a ride and it was a bit rough...
>upon checking, the unit apparently had no pressure in it. So I pumped it up
>to 125 again and took it for a ride and it seemed ok.... today, will check
>and see if it held the pressure overnight.
>
>The question is, then, since it was built in '98 or '99, is it to be
>expected that the unit has to be rebuilt? The bent has about 500-600 miles
>on it, but the seals are going on 5 years old......
>
>Anyway, the shock is a Cane Creek AD-5.... can anyone tell me is it easy to
>rebuild and who might carry a kit it my problem will not go away....?
>
>Also, what is a good pump for this unit, as my pump might be another part of
>the problem?
>
>Thank you for any comments....
>
>Arne
>
>=====================

I found the Ad-5 needs seals replaced pretty much annually. Seal kit is
inexpensive (I'm thinking $10-15), available through the Cane Creek web-site,
and contains very complete and easy to follow instructions. No special tools
required, so I would recommend a do-it-yourself attempt.

I also found it very reassuring (although I never needed to use it), to carry a
911 Shock ... a lightweight emergency replacement in case the seals blow when
you are on the road and far from help. It turns your rear suspension into a
hardtail, but gets you home. Here is the web-site (brace yourself for one of
the nastiest colored web-sites you'll encounter ;):
http://hometown.aol.com/whytoole/WHYTOOLE.html

Not sure if these 911's are still available, but worth the price for the
peace of mind. My experience with the AD-5 was that the seals normally didn't
go without warning .. usually I would first notice some loss of pressure
following a hard bump ... this was a clue it was time to redo the seals.

Greyfx2 wrote:
> >Subject: Rans Vivo rear air suspension From: "Arne" [email protected]
> >Date: 4/10/2004 5:32 AM US Eastern Standard Time Message-id:
> ><LcQdc.3577$4Y2.586@lakeread04>
> >
> >After being layed up for 2 years (the bent, not me).... I got my rans
> >vivo out for a ride. This is the first or 2nd year production model
> >with the rear air shock/suspension.
> >
> >When I used the small high pressure pump to fill the unit, the pump had
> >something stuck and would not pump any air (maybe a check valve)...
> >after fiddling with it, I got the shock pumped up to about 125 psi,
> >which is a bit low, but it the pump kept bleeding off air at that
> >pressure.
> >
> >A few days later (yesterday), I went for a ride and it was a bit
> >rough... upon checking, the unit apparently had no pressure in it. So I
> >pumped it up to 125 again and took it for a ride and it seemed ok....
> >today, will check and see if it held the pressure overnight.
> >
> >The question is, then, since it was built in '98 or '99, is it to be
> >expected that the unit has to be rebuilt? The bent has about 500-600
> >miles on it, but the seals are going on 5 years old......
> >
> >Anyway, the shock is a Cane Creek AD-5.... can anyone tell me is it
> >easy to rebuild and who might carry a kit it my problem will not go
> >away....?
> >
> >Also, what is a good pump for this unit, as my pump might be another
> >part of the problem?
> >
> >Thank you for any comments....
> >
> >Arne
> >
> >=====================

> I found the Ad-5 needs seals replaced pretty much annually. Seal kit is
> inexpensive (I'm thinking $10-15), available through the Cane Creek web-
> site, and contains very complete and easy to follow instructions. No
> special tools required, so I would recommend a do-it-yourself attempt.
> I also found it very reassuring (although I never needed to use it), to
> carry a 911 Shock ... a lightweight emergency replacement in case the
> seals blow when you are on the road and far from help. It turns your
> rear suspension into a hardtail, but gets you home. Here is the web-site
> (brace yourself for one of the nastiest colored web-sites you'll
> encounter ;): http://hometown.aol.com/whytoole/WHYTOOLE.htmlhttp://home-
> town.aol.com/whytoole/WHYTOOLE.html
> Not sure if these 911's are still available, but worth the price for
> the peace of mind. My experience with the AD-5 was that the seals
> normally didn't go without warning .. usually I would first notice
> some loss of pressure following a hard bump ... this was a clue it was
> time to redo the seals.

Greyfx2 probably identifies the best approach with the rebuild kit
combined with the 911 Shock backup.

But for a more reliable albeit less adjustable low tech approach: I have
a Vision with the AD5 replaced with a Cane Creek Seat Post Elastomers
and a long bolt. Cane Creek makes 4 differing hardness elastomers so
adjustment is by substitution.

--

It the elastomers equate roughly, ride-wise, to the ad5, that is certainly
something I would be interested in... can you comment on how closely they

Arne

=====================
news:[email protected]...

Arne wrote:
> It the elastomers equate roughly, ride-wise, to the ad5, that is
> certainly something I would be interested in... can you comment on how
> closely they compared when you got done experimenting?
> Arne
> =====================
> "meb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:E4Jec.3825-
> [email protected]:[email protected]
> server.com...
> >

> > Greyfx2 probably identifies the best approach with the rebuild kit
> > combined with the 911 Shock backup.
> >
> > But for a more reliable albeit less adjustable low tech approach: I
> > have a Vision with the AD5 replaced with a Cane Creek Seat Post
> > Elastomers and a long bolt. Cane Creek makes 4 differing hardness
> > elastomers so adjustment is by substitution.

Not done experimenting, but with a firm elasotmer it is much firmer on
the Vision than with an AD5. I would think the Vivo would be softer than
the Vision since the ratio of your shock moment arm length relative your
wheel moment arm length is lower relative the Vision. I'm going to try
the extra soft soon and see how that goes. It is noticiable that there
is suspension on the road with mild pogoing, yet it could be softer.
There is a weight savings too. You could also go with a coil spring as a
more reliable approach to the AD5, but heavier than the elastomers, less
adjustable than the AD5, and unlilke the elastomer or gas shock there
would be no built in damping so lots of oscilation.

Here is an online source for the elastomers:

www.bikeusa.com/MERCHANT2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MSGI&Categ-
ory_Code=SuspensionSeatpostsCaneCreek

--

meb, thank you for the follow up response. I've been to the cane creek site,
and called them up for ideas, and will take a look at the link you

Arne

news:nz%[email protected]...