RANS vs. PlanetBike fenders for V-Rex

Rex Kerr

Guest
Can anybody here give me any pointers to help me decide whether I should go with the fenders than
RANS sells vs. saving $20 or so and buying the planet bike fenders? I like the PB fenders on my DF
commuting bike.

Thanks, -Rex

> Can anybody here give me any pointers to help me decide whether I should go with the fenders than
> RANS sells vs. saving $20 or so and buying the planet bike fenders? I like the PB fenders on my DF
> commuting bike.
>
> Thanks, -Rex

The HP Velotechnik fenders @ $35 pr from the Hostelshoppe are probably the same. I think all are
made by ESGE/SKS. The Planet bike fenders are listed as out of stock on their web site.

You may need to trim some off the front fender for heel clearance. This would be true for the RANS
fenders too (and no mud flap).

- Bellaire, TX USA -

They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate, in
Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
Missouri...;-) bill g

Rex Kerr wrote:

> Can anybody here give me any pointers to help me decide whether I should go with the fenders than
> RANS sells vs. saving $20 or so and buying the planet bike fenders? I like the PB fenders on my DF
> commuting bike.
>
> Thanks, -Rex

I put Planet bikes on my stratus and really like them. Ben Fox "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...

a&b wrote:

> They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate, in
> Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
> Missouri...;-) bill g

You're either the world's unluckiest person or the most clueless. How the hell did that happen? The
Rans fender has THREE attachment points.

mc
--
Replace "****" with "warnerm" in my email addr

Mike Warner wrote:

> a&b wrote:
>
> > They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate, in
> > Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
> > Missouri...;-) bill g
>
> You're either the world's unluckiest person or the most clueless. How the hell did that happen?
> The Rans fender has THREE attachment points.

I am not surprised that a "Rans" fender would blow off, since it must be a counterfeit. I would be
surprised at a RANS fender blowing off, however. [1]

[1] I do have a reputation to uphold here.

It was operator error. I had gotten it hung in a fence one night coming back from town on a RAGBRAI
and cracked the thing where one of the struts attached. Apparently the other strut bolt was loose
and fell off leaving only the cracked side and the center bolt holding it and that didn't last long
at 85mph. It's funny, another driver honked and pointed I guess when it happened but I thought he
was acknowledging the bent. I still have one of the struts. I hope the other pieces didn't end up in
someone's radiator. bg

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Mike Warner wrote:
> >
> > a&b wrote:
> >
> > > They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate,
> > > in Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
> > > Missouri...;-) bill g
> >
> > You're either the world's unluckiest person or the most clueless. How the hell did that happen?
> > The Rans fender has THREE attachment points.
>
> I am not surprised that a "Rans" fender would blow off, since it must be a counterfeit. I would be
> surprised at a RANS fender blowing off, however. [1]
>
> [1] I do have a reputation to uphold here.

a&b <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate, in
> Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
> Missouri...;-) bill g

That's why I use clip-on ATB fenders (Zefals from Nashbar @$7). The rear is semi-permanently
zip-tied in place but the front is easily removed w/ thumbscrew

"bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> It was operator error. I had gotten it hung in a fence one night coming
back
> from town on a RAGBRAI and cracked the thing where one of the struts
attached.
> Apparently the other strut bolt was loose and fell off leaving only the
cracked
> side and the center bolt holding it and that didn't last long at 85mph.
It's
> funny, another driver honked and pointed I guess when it happened but I
thought
> he was acknowledging the bent. I still have one of the struts. I hope the
other
> pieces didn't end up in someone's radiator.

Do you think they wind-tunnel test fenders for situations like that? I wonder how fast you can go
with an uncracked fender before it finally lets go.

:)

-Barry