RANS vs. PlanetBike fenders for V-Rex

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rex Kerr, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Rex Kerr

    Rex Kerr Guest

    Can anybody here give me any pointers to help me decide whether I should go with the fenders than
    RANS sells vs. saving $20 or so and buying the planet bike fenders? I like the PB fenders on my DF
    commuting bike.

    Thanks, -Rex

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Can anybody here give me any pointers to help me decide whether I should go with the fenders than
    > RANS sells vs. saving $20 or so and buying the planet bike fenders? I like the PB fenders on my DF
    > commuting bike.
    >
    > Thanks, -Rex

    The HP Velotechnik fenders @ $35 pr from the Hostelshoppe are probably the same. I think all are
    made by ESGE/SKS. The Planet bike fenders are listed as out of stock on their web site.

    You may need to trim some off the front fender for heel clearance. This would be true for the RANS
    fenders too (and no mud flap).

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. A&B

    A&B Guest

    They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate, in
    Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
    Missouri...;-) bill g

    Rex Kerr wrote:

    > Can anybody here give me any pointers to help me decide whether I should go with the fenders than
    > RANS sells vs. saving $20 or so and buying the planet bike fenders? I like the PB fenders on my DF
    > commuting bike.
    >
    > Thanks, -Rex

  4. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    I put Planet bikes on my stratus and really like them. Ben Fox "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate, in
    > Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
    > Missouri...;-) bill g
    >
    > Rex Kerr wrote:
    > >
    > > Can anybody here give me any pointers to help me decide whether I should go with the fenders
    > > than RANS sells vs. saving $20 or so and buying the planet bike fenders? I like the PB fenders
    > > on my DF commuting bike.
    > >
    > > Thanks, -Rex

  5. Mike Warner

    Mike Warner Guest

    a&b wrote:

    > They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate, in
    > Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
    > Missouri...;-) bill g

    You're either the world's unluckiest person or the most clueless. How the hell did that happen? The
    Rans fender has THREE attachment points.

    mc
    --
    Replace "crap" with "warnerm" in my email addr

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Mike Warner wrote:

    > a&b wrote:
    >
    > > They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate, in
    > > Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
    > > Missouri...;-) bill g
    >
    > You're either the world's unluckiest person or the most clueless. How the hell did that happen?
    > The Rans fender has THREE attachment points.

    I am not surprised that a "Rans" fender would blow off, since it must be a counterfeit. I would be
    surprised at a RANS fender blowing off, however. [1]

    [1] I do have a reputation to uphold here.

  7. Bg

    Bg Guest

    It was operator error. I had gotten it hung in a fence one night coming back from town on a RAGBRAI
    and cracked the thing where one of the struts attached. Apparently the other strut bolt was loose
    and fell off leaving only the cracked side and the center bolt holding it and that didn't last long
    at 85mph. It's funny, another driver honked and pointed I guess when it happened but I thought he
    was acknowledging the bent. I still have one of the struts. I hope the other pieces didn't end up in
    someone's radiator. bg

  8. a&b <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > They both work equally well but if your front Rans brand fender blows off on the interstate, in
    > Missouri, like mine did, you'll wish you'd have spent less. Of course if you're never in
    > Missouri...;-) bill g

    That's why I use clip-on ATB fenders (Zefals from Nashbar @$7). The rear is semi-permanently
    zip-tied in place but the front is easily removed w/ thumbscrew

    > Rex Kerr wrote:
    > >
    > > Can anybody here give me any pointers to help me decide whether I should go with the fenders
    > > than RANS sells vs. saving $20 or so and buying the planet bike fenders? I like the PB fenders
    > > on my DF commuting bike.
    > >
    > > Thanks, -Rex

  9. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "bg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > It was operator error. I had gotten it hung in a fence one night coming
    back
    > from town on a RAGBRAI and cracked the thing where one of the struts
    attached.
    > Apparently the other strut bolt was loose and fell off leaving only the
    cracked
    > side and the center bolt holding it and that didn't last long at 85mph.
    It's
    > funny, another driver honked and pointed I guess when it happened but I
    thought
    > he was acknowledging the bent. I still have one of the struts. I hope the
    other
    > pieces didn't end up in someone's radiator.

    Do you think they wind-tunnel test fenders for situations like that? I wonder how fast you can go
    with an uncracked fender before it finally lets go.

    :)

    -Barry