Rant about long brake shoes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Taylor, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. I find the currently fashionable long brake shoes (V-brake shoes and many canti shoes) to be a real
    pai on two counts:

    1. The extra length is almost entirely at the rear of the shoe which isn't a problem at the rear of
    the bike but at the front the long shoes extend inside the fork blades. In order to use them on
    a bike with a road type fork very thin (and short lived) shoes must be used and even then you
    nearly always have to deflate the tire to remove or install the front wheel. Even in the case of
    mountain bikes it's often necessary to deflate the front tire unless the thin shoes are used.

    2. The extra length of the shoes adds nothing to braking performance so far as I can tell. I can
    slide the rear wheel with the rear brake or pick it off the ground with the front one if I
    choose so I can't gain any performance with long shoes, only problems.

    I made short brake shoes for my canti brakes by installing the smooth post adapters from some old
    Aztec brake shoes onto threaded post short brake shoes. (Aztec brake shoes were made in both
    threaded and smooth post versions, the only difference being that the smooth post ones were just the
    threaded post ones with a sleeve screwed on over the threaded post. This sleeve has an 8mm hex at
    the bottom so it can easily be screwed off and reused)

    Those thin V-brake shoes remind me of the old lady who swallowed the fly and then swallowed a bird
    to catch the fly, then swallowed a cat to. . . well you know.

    Bob Taylor

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Robert Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I find the currently fashionable long brake shoes (V-brake shoes and many canti shoes) to be a
    > real pai on two counts:
    >
    > 1. The extra length is almost entirely at the rear of the shoe which isn't a problem at the rear
    > of the bike but at the front the long shoes extend inside the fork blades. In order to use
    > them on a bike with a road type fork very thin (and short lived) shoes must be used and even
    > then you nearly always have to deflate the tire to remove or install the front wheel. Even in
    > the case of mountain bikes it's often necessary to deflate the front tire unless the thin
    > shoes are used.
    >
    > 2. The extra length of the shoes adds nothing to braking performance so far as I can tell. I can
    > slide the rear wheel with the rear brake or pick it off the ground with the front one if I
    > choose so I can't gain any performance with long shoes, only problems.
    >
    > I made short brake shoes for my canti brakes by installing the smooth post adapters from some old
    > Aztec brake shoes onto threaded post short brake shoes. (Aztec brake shoes were made in both
    > threaded and smooth post versions, the only difference being that the smooth post ones were just
    > the threaded post ones with a sleeve screwed on over the threaded post. This sleeve has an 8mm hex
    > at the bottom so it can easily be screwed off and reused)
    >
    > Those thin V-brake shoes remind me of the old lady who swallowed the fly and then swallowed a bird
    > to catch the fly, then swallowed a cat to. . . well you know.
    >
    > Bob Taylor

    We sometimes just cut off the back end of the shoe. Stops just fine and you can get the wheel out to
    put the bike in a car. It's "swept area" not "puck size" in the car world and bicycles seem to
    adhere to the same physical rules.

    We also sometimes use inexpensive "ten-speed" type traditional brake shoes when working on XMart
    bikes with recalcitrant squeaky VBrakes. The shorter shoes seem to vibrate less and still stop
    just fine.

    You have to hand it to the guy who thought of making a special shoe that's
    1/3 the depth and 20% more expensive! Chutzpah.

  3. On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:24:26 -0500, Robert Taylor wrote:

    > I find the currently fashionable long brake shoes (V-brake shoes and many canti shoes) to be a
    > real pai on two counts:
    >
    > 1. The extra length is almost entirely at the rear of the shoe which isn't a problem at the rear
    > of the bike but at the front the long shoes extend inside the fork blades. In order to use
    > them on a bike with a road type fork very thin (and short lived) shoes must be used and even
    > then you nearly always have to deflate the tire to remove or install the front wheel. Even in
    > the case of mountain bikes it's often necessary to deflate the front tire unless the thin
    > shoes are used.
    >
    > 2. The extra length of the shoes adds nothing to braking performance so far as I can tell.

    This is true, and suggests a solution to #1. Tin snips. Cut off the extended end of the shoe. Maybe
    bolt cutters would be better.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not _`\(,_ | certain, and as
    far as they are certain, they do not refer to (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein