Rant: Inconsistency at Outback Steak House.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ted Campanelli, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Last week my wife and I stopped at a local Outback for dinner. The
    salads and soup were EXCELLENT. The steaks, not bad, but nothing to
    write home about (we had the 14 oz rib eye - Rockhampton ?).

    Tonight we stopped there again. The soup and salad were inedible due to
    the excess of pepper and the steaks could have been used for resoling
    the shoes (14 oz rib eye dome medium - dark pink in the middle).

    When we complained we were told "We make our soups and salad dressings
    from scratch. We use the same recipe and they do not vary from day to
    day. I find it difficult to believe the steaks are tough. They are
    choice cut and tenderized to insure they are not tough (don't ask me
    what they 'tenderize' them with)." When I asked for replacements that
    did not have all the pepper I was given a run around and FINALLY told
    they would be replaced, but we would be charged for them. The same with
    the steak.

    We left. As we were leaving the manager said if we didn't pay he would
    call the police. He got "quite perplexed" when I asked if he would like
    my home address and phone to give to the police. Been 3 hours now and
    no call from the police.

    Needless to say, we will not be going back to that particular Outback
    again and I am notifying the main office about what happened.

    Tags:

  2. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-01-08, Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Needless to say, we will not be going back to that particular Outback
    > again and I am notifying the main office about what happened.

    I had the same experience. I never had any desire to go to Outback's, but
    my daughter and SIL treated me to dinner there. I was pleasantly surprised.
    Enough so, I treated my neighbors a few weeks later. The same place and
    this time it sucked severely! Never again.

    As for notifying the head office, it's been my experience big chains
    couldn't care less.

    nb

  3. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:42:11 -0600, notbob
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2005-01-08, Ted Campanelli <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Needless to say, we will not be going back to that particular Outback
    > > again and I am notifying the main office about what happened.

    > I had the same experience. I never had any desire to go to Outback's, but
    > my daughter and SIL treated me to dinner there. I was pleasantly surprised.
    > Enough so, I treated my neighbors a few weeks later. The same place and
    > this time it sucked severely! Never again.
    >
    > As for notifying the head office, it's been my experience big chains
    > couldn't care less.

    IMO: They're ususally in a state of upheaval and cut costs
    at the restaurant level to justify their own bloated
    salaries.

    sf

  4. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Ted Campanelli wrote:
    > Last week my wife and I stopped at a local Outback for dinner.

    First mistake. I have been talked into eating there a couple of times
    - each time I literally pooped my pants. They claim they don't use MSG
    - I have no doubt the do. Nasty place, it is.

    -L.

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > Needless to say, we will not be going back to that particular Outback
    > again and I am notifying the main office about what happened.

    I had a similar thing happen at a TGI Fridays and the manager comp'd my
    whole meal I was invited to come back for another free meal. I never
    did though beacuse I had three bad experiences in a row at two seperate
    TGI Fridays and I just wrote the place off as awful. It wasn't nearly
    as bad when I was in college or at least it seemed that way.

    Chris

  6. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Ted Campanelli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Last week my wife and I stopped at a local Outback for dinner. The
    > salads and soup were EXCELLENT. The steaks, not bad, but nothing to
    > write home about (we had the 14 oz rib eye - Rockhampton ?).
    >
    > Tonight we stopped there again. The soup and salad were inedible due to
    > the excess of pepper and the steaks could have been used for resoling
    > the shoes (14 oz rib eye dome medium - dark pink in the middle).
    >
    > When we complained we were told "We make our soups and salad dressings
    > from scratch. We use the same recipe and they do not vary from day to
    > day. I find it difficult to believe the steaks are tough. They are
    > choice cut and tenderized to insure they are not tough (don't ask me
    > what they 'tenderize' them with)." When I asked for replacements that
    > did not have all the pepper I was given a run around and FINALLY told
    > they would be replaced, but we would be charged for them. The same with
    > the steak.
    >
    > We left. As we were leaving the manager said if we didn't pay he would
    > call the police. He got "quite perplexed" when I asked if he would like
    > my home address and phone to give to the police. Been 3 hours now and
    > no call from the police.
    >
    > Needless to say, we will not be going back to that particular Outback
    > again and I am notifying the main office about what happened.

    Wow...that's pretty bad. I've had service like that at Chevy's (which is why
    I never go there anymore) but not at Outback. I've had problems there, don't
    mistake me, but they were well handled by the manager when the time came.
    For example, I ordered a strip medium. It came out well done. I informed the
    server that it was overdone, and she argued, saying that she'd told me when
    I ordered that it would have a dark pink center. I showed her the steak and
    challenged her to show me any shade of pink. She stomped off with the steak
    in hand and returned ten minutes later with the SAME STEAK. They'd cooked it
    even more, and returned it to me. I laughed myself silly and in-between
    gasps for air, requested the presence of the manager. He apologized
    profusely and offered to personally make me another steak. He also offered
    dessert for everyone at the table, and then proceeded to bring me 2 gift
    certificates for $20 each. Now *that*, my friends, is a manager.

    kimberly

  7. Steve Pope

    Steve Pope Guest

    Nexis <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It came out well done. I informed the server that it was
    > overdone, and she argued, saying that she'd told me when I
    > ordered that it would have a dark pink center. I showed her
    > the steak and challenged her to show me any shade of pink. She
    > stomped off with the steak in hand and returned ten minutes
    > later with the SAME STEAK. They'd cooked it even more, and
    > returned it to me.

    This would be illegal for them to do, at least in California.

    Steve

  8. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    ~
    ~I had a similar thing happen at a TGI Fridays and the manager comp'd
    my
    ~whole meal I was invited to come back for another free meal. I never
    ~did though beacuse I had three bad experiences in a row at two
    seperate
    ~TGI Fridays and I just wrote the place off as awful. It wasn't
    nearly
    ~as bad when I was in college or at least it seemed that way.
    ~
    ~Chris

    You mean back when you had a cast iron and chronically empty stomach
    and hollow leg? Most food tastes good to the starving<G>.

    We won a dinner for 4 at Outback, and while the food was ok, wouldn't

    I like Aussies, but these guys were a bad imitation.

    maxine in ri

  9. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:56:19 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Wow...that's pretty bad. I've had service like that at Chevy's (which is why
    > I never go there anymore) but not at Outback. I've had problems there, don't
    > mistake me, but they were well handled by the manager when the time came.
    > For example, I ordered a strip medium. It came out well done.

    Chevy's has steak? They have steak fajitas, but I'm not
    aware of a true steak on the menu. My husband says that
    they have a steak that we order at an El Salvadoran
    restaurant (can't remember what it's called) that is
    marinated in cilantro and a bunch of other stuff. It's very
    thin, so we don't even try to tell them what "doneness" we
    want - they cook it and we eat it. I usually order it with
    grilled garlic shrimp (Salvadoran surf & turf), cut the
    steak into strips and eat it with the shrimp rolled in a
    tortilla. YUM!

    > I informed the
    > server that it was overdone, and she argued, saying that she'd told me when
    > I ordered that it would have a dark pink center. I showed her the steak and
    > challenged her to show me any shade of pink. She stomped off with the steak
    > in hand and returned ten minutes later with the SAME STEAK. They'd cooked it
    > even more, and returned it to me.

    I think she (or the kitchen crew) was too used to people
    complaining about the slightest bit of pink and ran on
    automatic after that.

    > I laughed myself silly and in-between
    > gasps for air, requested the presence of the manager. He apologized
    > profusely and offered to personally make me another steak. He also offered
    > dessert for everyone at the table, and then proceeded to bring me 2 gift
    > certificates for $20 each. Now *that*, my friends, is a manager.

    All's well that ends well!

    Speaking of sending things back... don't get me started
    about eggs benedict! My family cringes and always tries to
    disuade me from ordering it when I see it on the menu,
    because they know there's a good chance there will be a
    "problem". Hey, why put it on your menu if you can't make
    it right? I'm not even talking about the sauce (which is
    usually wrong)... who on earth wants a HARD egg benedict?
    SHEESH.

    sf

  10. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Nexis <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > It came out well done. I informed the server that it was
    > > overdone, and she argued, saying that she'd told me when I
    > > ordered that it would have a dark pink center. I showed her
    > > the steak and challenged her to show me any shade of pink. She
    > > stomped off with the steak in hand and returned ten minutes
    > > later with the SAME STEAK. They'd cooked it even more, and
    > > returned it to me.

    > This would be illegal for them to do, at least in California.
    >
    > Steve

    Why? Just curious...
    It happened in California, in fact. San Diego, to be precise.
    It's happened more than once there too, but not going from well to
    leather...it was from rare to medium well.
    kimberly

  11. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:56:19 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Wow...that's pretty bad. I've had service like that at Chevy's (which

    is why
    > > I never go there anymore) but not at Outback. I've had problems there,

    don't
    > > mistake me, but they were well handled by the manager when the time

    came.
    > > For example, I ordered a strip medium. It came out well done.

    > Chevy's has steak? They have steak fajitas, but I'm not
    > aware of a true steak on the menu. My husband says that
    > they have a steak that we order at an El Salvadoran
    > restaurant (can't remember what it's called) that is
    > marinated in cilantro and a bunch of other stuff. It's very
    > thin, so we don't even try to tell them what "doneness" we
    > want - they cook it and we eat it. I usually order it with
    > grilled garlic shrimp (Salvadoran surf & turf), cut the
    > steak into strips and eat it with the shrimp rolled in a
    > tortilla. YUM!

    I was referring to service, not steak :)
    Chevy's service, IMHO, sucks big time, at least 90% of the time. And the
    salsa just isn't what it used to be.

    > > I informed the
    > > server that it was overdone, and she argued, saying that she'd told me

    when
    > > I ordered that it would have a dark pink center. I showed her the steak

    and
    > > challenged her to show me any shade of pink. She stomped off with the

    steak
    > > in hand and returned ten minutes later with the SAME STEAK. They'd

    cooked it
    > > even more, and returned it to me.

    > I think she (or the kitchen crew) was too used to people
    > complaining about the slightest bit of pink and ran on
    > automatic after that.

    Probably, but not a very good excuse. She was just tuned out from the
    beginning and it was all downhill from there.

    > > I laughed myself silly and in-between
    > > gasps for air, requested the presence of the manager. He apologized
    > > profusely and offered to personally make me another steak. He also

    offered
    > > dessert for everyone at the table, and then proceeded to bring me 2

    gift
    > > certificates for $20 each. Now *that*, my friends, is a manager.

    > All's well that ends well!
    >
    > Speaking of sending things back... don't get me started
    > about eggs benedict! My family cringes and always tries to
    > disuade me from ordering it when I see it on the menu,
    > because they know there's a good chance there will be a
    > "problem". Hey, why put it on your menu if you can't make
    > it right? I'm not even talking about the sauce (which is
    > usually wrong)... who on earth wants a HARD egg benedict?
    > SHEESH.
    >
    > sf

    LOL....you would get along with my husband...he shares your sentiments on
    eggs benedict. He loves the dish, but can rarely find a decent version of it
    in restaurants. The last time he did, it was a waffle place outside of Coos
    Bay. Everything we had there was divine. The waffles, his eggs benedict, his
    brothers omelet, all of it. And personally, I absolutely loved their triple
    berry sauce that was served with the waffles and pancakes. Raspberries,
    blackberries and strawberries. Yum!

    kimberly

  12. Steve Pope

    Steve Pope Guest

    Nexis <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Steve Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >> Nexis <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> She
    >>> stomped off with the steak in hand and returned ten minutes
    >>> later with the SAME STEAK. They'd cooked it even more, and
    >>> returned it to me.

    >> This would be illegal for them to do, at least in California.

    >Why? Just curious...
    >It happened in California, in fact. San Diego, to be precise.
    >It's happened more than once there too, but not going from well to
    >leather...it was from rare to medium well.

    Well, if they actually put it on the grill, and returned it,
    then that is illegal because they cannot take food that has
    been delivered to a table and then process it again in the kitchen.
    They theory is that is has been out of their control. (When
    they weren't looking, the customer may have sprinkled the
    steak with poison or spores or something... or maybe they
    coughed on it or touched it with their unwashed hands... and therefore
    the restaurant risks infecting their other customers by doing this.)

    Steve

  13. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    Steve Pope wrote:
    > Nexis <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>This would be illegal for them to do, at least in California.

    >>Why? Just curious...
    >>It happened in California, in fact. San Diego, to be precise.
    >>It's happened more than once there too, but not going from well to
    >>leather...it was from rare to medium well.

    > Well, if they actually put it on the grill, and returned it,
    > then that is illegal because they cannot take food that has
    > been delivered to a table and then process it again in the kitchen.
    > They theory is that is has been out of their control. (When
    > they weren't looking, the customer may have sprinkled the
    > steak with poison or spores or something... or maybe they
    > coughed on it or touched it with their unwashed hands... and therefore
    > the restaurant risks infecting their other customers by doing this.)
    >
    > Steve

    What happens when you cut a steak and it is not cooked enough? Are you
    telling me they cook an entirely new steak? BS. Mine comes back with my
    knife cut in it.

    jim