rapid disc brake pad wear

Status

Rupert Smith

Guest
Having just bought a new bike with shimano m525 hydraulic disc brakes I'm a little puzzled as to why
the pads seem to wear out so quickly. I've only done 70 miles, admittedly fairly muddy ones, but
still only 70 miles and the front pads seem to have completely gone, although bizarrely the back
ones seem fine still. Any ideas why this should be and recommendations for the next set of pads
which might wear less quickly. I would have thought at 15 quid a shot these things would last a fair
while! How come they are so much more expensive than v-brake pads anyway? </Rant>

Rupert

Peter B

Guest
"Rupert Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having just bought a new bike with shimano m525 hydraulic disc brakes I'm
> little puzzled as to why the pads seem to wear out so quickly. I've only done 70 miles, admittedly
> fairly muddy ones, but still only 70 miles and
the
> front pads seem to have completely gone, although bizarrely the back ones seem fine still. Any
> ideas why this should be and recommendations for the next set of pads which might wear less
> quickly. I would have thought at 15 quid a shot these things would last a fair while! How come
> they are so
much
> more expensive than v-brake pads anyway?

I've a riding buddy with Hope discs. He went through a set of rear pads on one ride in the Peaks,
his LBS recommeded a different grade of pad to cope with the gritty Peak conditions. So he fitted a
pair for the last ride we done there a couple of weeks back, by the end of the ride they were
shagged (nearly as badly as us). Meanwhile I'm still using the same set of V pads. Must admit that
I'm in the process of fitting a new rim after 3 years, you pays your money. Bear in mind his discs
may be more effective but at the end of the day we rode the same routes and I managed wheras he was
a little perterbed when his levers were almost bottoming on the bars while I was able to adjust the
barrels on mine. Also V pads are <£8 a pair.

On the subject of V pads I bought a set of 4 "B" (or something like that) brand for £11 which seem
to last twice as long and are as effective as Aztecs at £8 a pair.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.