Rapidfire Shifter Doesn't return

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob Chambers, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Bob Chambers

    Bob Chambers Guest

    I've set up a Exage LX rapidfire shifter/rear derailleur circa 91/92 - (groupset has biopace
    chainrings) exactly as described by Barnett Chapter 3x
    . All the shifts up to the large sprocket are perfect, but the shifter needs two clicks to
    shift down to the next smallest sprocket, then gets confused when it reaches the smallest
    sprocket - double shifts. Seems like the shifter isn't releasing. Anyone got a remedy. Chain
    is stretched about
    1/8" and pulleys appear worn. I'll be trying a new chain and pulleys when I can get to LBS.

    --
    Bob Chambers

    Tags:

  2. Your wire is sticking in its housing, almost certainly. Do you have a kink in either? Sometimes the
    end of the cable housing is imperfectly cut and that can cause your problem.

  3. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Bob Chambers, deftly scribbled ;

    > I've set up a Exage LX rapidfire shifter/rear derailleur circa 91/92 - (groupset has biopace
    > chainrings) exactly as described by Barnett Chapter 3x . All the shifts up to the large sprocket
    > are perfect, but the shifter needs two clicks to shift down to the next smallest sprocket, then
    > gets confused when it reaches the smallest sprocket - double shifts. Seems like the shifter isn't
    > releasing. Anyone got a remedy. Chain is stretched about 1/8" and pulleys appear worn. I'll be
    > trying a new chain and pulleys when I can get to LBS.

    Sounds like either the cable or the shifter is sticking. The shifter will work OK when pulled, but
    relies on the spring pressure to drop back down, have a look at the spring mechanism and see if it's
    gummed up. Spray with WD40 or similar, then if it (or even if it doesn't) frees up use regular oil.
    Same for the cable. I'd remove the cable completely and make sure it isn't kinked, frayed etc etc,
    and clean and lube it.

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1363 wu in 9630 hours

  4. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Bob Chambers, deftly scribbled ;

    > I've set up a Exage LX rapidfire shifter/rear derailleur circa 91/92 - (groupset has biopace
    > chainrings) exactly as described by Barnett Chapter 3x . All the shifts up to the large sprocket
    > are perfect, but the shifter needs two clicks to shift down to the next smallest sprocket, then
    > gets confused when it reaches the smallest sprocket - double shifts. Seems like the shifter isn't
    > releasing. Anyone got a remedy. Chain is stretched about 1/8" and pulleys appear worn. I'll be
    > trying a new chain and pulleys when I can get to LBS.

    Sounds like either the cable or the shifter is sticking. The shifter will work OK when pulled, but
    relies on the spring pressure to drop back down, have a look at the spring mechanism and see if it's
    gummed up. Spray with WD40 or similar, then if it (or even if it doesn't) frees up use regular oil.
    Same for the cable. I'd remove the cable completely and make sure it isn't kinked, frayed etc etc,
    and clean and lube it.

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1363 wu in 9630 hours

  5. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bob Chambers, deftly scribbled ;
    >
    > > I've set up a Exage LX rapidfire shifter/rear derailleur circa 91/92 - (groupset has biopace
    > > chainrings) exactly as described by Barnett Chapter 3x . All the shifts up to the large sprocket
    > > are perfect, but the shifter needs two clicks to shift down to the next smallest sprocket, then
    > > gets confused when it reaches the smallest sprocket - double shifts. Seems like the shifter
    > > isn't releasing. Anyone got a remedy. Chain is stretched about 1/8" and pulleys appear worn.
    > > I'll be trying a new chain and pulleys when I can get to LBS.
    >
    > Sounds like either the cable or the shifter is sticking. The shifter will work OK when pulled, but
    > relies on the spring pressure to drop back down, have a look at the spring mechanism and see if
    > it's gummed up. Spray with WD40 or similar, then if it (or even if it doesn't) frees up use
    > regular oil. Same for the cable. I'd remove the cable completely and make sure
    it
    > isn't kinked, frayed etc etc, and clean and lube it.
    >
    > --
    > ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1363 wu in 9630 hours

    Buy a new one you cheapskate !

    Graham

  6. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Bob Chambers, deftly scribbled ;
    >
    > > I've set up a Exage LX rapidfire shifter/rear derailleur circa 91/92 - (groupset has biopace
    > > chainrings) exactly as described by Barnett Chapter 3x . All the shifts up to the large sprocket
    > > are perfect, but the shifter needs two clicks to shift down to the next smallest sprocket, then
    > > gets confused when it reaches the smallest sprocket - double shifts. Seems like the shifter
    > > isn't releasing. Anyone got a remedy. Chain is stretched about 1/8" and pulleys appear worn.
    > > I'll be trying a new chain and pulleys when I can get to LBS.
    >
    > Sounds like either the cable or the shifter is sticking. The shifter will work OK when pulled, but
    > relies on the spring pressure to drop back down, have a look at the spring mechanism and see if
    > it's gummed up. Spray with WD40 or similar, then if it (or even if it doesn't) frees up use
    > regular oil. Same for the cable. I'd remove the cable completely and make sure
    it
    > isn't kinked, frayed etc etc, and clean and lube it.
    >
    > --
    > ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1363 wu in 9630 hours

    Buy a new one you cheapskate !

    Graham

  7. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Graham, deftly scribbled ;

    > "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Bob Chambers, deftly scribbled ;
    >>
    >>> I've set up a Exage LX rapidfire shifter/rear derailleur circa
    >>> 91/92 - (groupset has biopace chainrings) exactly as described by Barnett Chapter 3x . All the
    >>> shifts up to the large sprocket are perfect, but the shifter needs two clicks to shift down
    >>> to the next smallest sprocket, then gets confused when it reaches the smallest sprocket -
    >>> double shifts. Seems like the shifter isn't releasing. Anyone got a remedy. Chain is
    >>> stretched about 1/8" and pulleys appear worn. I'll be trying a new chain and pulleys when I
    >>> can get to LBS.
    >>
    >> Sounds like either the cable or the shifter is sticking. The shifter will work OK when pulled,
    >> but relies on the spring pressure to drop back down, have a look at the spring mechanism and see
    >> if it's gummed up. Spray with WD40 or similar, then if it (or even if it doesn't) frees up use
    >> regular oil. Same for the cable. I'd remove the cable completely and make sure it isn't kinked,
    >> frayed etc etc, and clean and lube it.
    >
    > Buy a new one you cheapskate !

    Why, mine's fine .. ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1363 wu in 9630 hours

  8. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Graham, deftly scribbled ;

    > "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Bob Chambers, deftly scribbled ;
    >>
    >>> I've set up a Exage LX rapidfire shifter/rear derailleur circa
    >>> 91/92 - (groupset has biopace chainrings) exactly as described by Barnett Chapter 3x . All the
    >>> shifts up to the large sprocket are perfect, but the shifter needs two clicks to shift down
    >>> to the next smallest sprocket, then gets confused when it reaches the smallest sprocket -
    >>> double shifts. Seems like the shifter isn't releasing. Anyone got a remedy. Chain is
    >>> stretched about 1/8" and pulleys appear worn. I'll be trying a new chain and pulleys when I
    >>> can get to LBS.
    >>
    >> Sounds like either the cable or the shifter is sticking. The shifter will work OK when pulled,
    >> but relies on the spring pressure to drop back down, have a look at the spring mechanism and see
    >> if it's gummed up. Spray with WD40 or similar, then if it (or even if it doesn't) frees up use
    >> regular oil. Same for the cable. I'd remove the cable completely and make sure it isn't kinked,
    >> frayed etc etc, and clean and lube it.
    >
    > Buy a new one you cheapskate !

    Why, mine's fine .. ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1363 wu in 9630 hours

  9. >Seems like the shifter isn't releasing. Anyone got a remedy. Chain is stretched about
    > 1/8" and pulleys appear worn. I'll be trying a new chain and pulleys when I can get to LBS.

    I had somthing similar recently caused by a frayed cable at the handlebar end. It was a right pig of
    a job to extract the nipple from the housing with it being frayed an' all.

    I was pleasantly surprised by how well protected the innards seemed to be after two years and 16k
    miles of commuting.

    Robert

  10. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Bob Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've set up a Exage LX rapidfire shifter/rear derailleur circa 91/92 - (groupset has biopace
    > chainrings) exactly as described by Barnett Chapter
    3x
    > . All the shifts up to the large sprocket are perfect, but the shifter needs two clicks to shift
    > down to the next smallest sprocket, then gets confused when it reaches the smallest sprocket -
    > double shifts. Seems
    like
    > the shifter isn't releasing. Anyone got a remedy. Chain is stretched
    about
    > 1/8" and pulleys appear worn. I'll be trying a new chain and pulleys when
    > can get to LBS.

    Sounds like the cable - fit a new one.

    John