General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Rare steak

Started by Scott · · Last activity · 217 posts · 2,359 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 July 2007
Last activity
30 July 2007
Original author
Scott
Posts
217
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,359
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 161–180 of 217
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Giusi said:

    When one sees it on an Italian menu, the expectation must be broader
    than Cipriani's definition, or disappointment will happen. In my
    experience of menus around Italy the marinated version of carpaccio di
    vitellone was seen twice. The unmarinated version uncountable times and
    the thin slices of raw other things many times. In current cooking
    magazines there are recipes for carpaccio of this and that, too.

    It may have started exactly as you say, but it is no longer just one
    thing. I do know where you can get exactly what you describe, however.

    Ha! Now we've come full circle - and in only two replies to each other
    in the thread! Did I not already agree with you about what "carpaccio"
    can mean in practice, but still had to protest about the travesty of it
    all, especially such pearls as "Carpaccio di ananas all'anice stellato",
    as served at one of the premier Turin hotels. Wonder if they marinate
    it in lemon juice.

    Victor

  2. Pandora said:

    All the chef I know (and I knew) make carpaccio with lemon and without
    mayonnaise.
    On cookbook you see that carpaccio is made like I have said. But doesn't
    mind!
    e can't make a war for this.

    You are babbling, get a grip! Carpaccio is very often made with lemon
    juice, but is never supposed to be marinated in it. Carpaccio is by
    definition raw meat, if it is made with meat at all. If you do not know
    any chefs who make carpaccio with raw meat, you have my sympathy, for
    this means that your obviously remote parish has little or no contact to
    the outside world. I have eaten carpaccio numerous times in Lombardy,
    Veneto, Tuscany, Umbria, Latium, and Campania. Not once did I get
    marinated meat. Here in Düsseldorf, there is a restaurant with a chef
    who was born and bred in Veneto. He serves carpaccio classico alla
    Cipriani. If you make a search for carpaccio di manzo or similar, you
    will find that the overwhelming majority of recipes call for raw meat,
    not marinated in lemon juice, though it is otherwise often used. Again,
    what you are describing is identical to many versions of carne cruda
    all'Albese or carne cruda alla Piemontese. Maybe all those poor,
    deprived and depraved chefs you know or imagine are so ashamed of their
    culinary heritage (considered glorious by everyone else), that they feel
    compelled to change their dishes' ancient, established names to the
    oh-so-fashionable nouveau-riche "carpaccio".

    Victor

  3. Steve Wertz said:

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:36:17 GMT, hahabogus wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pork is white not red meat.

    Quoted message said:

    You've been watching too many pork commercials. Pork is indeed
    red meat, as is all meat from mammals.

    Proper pork is dead red. I prefer the local pastured pork,
    hacked as opposed to butchered into about the right cuts.

    I let the red fluid drain from the stuff -- say a freerange
    Boston butt, humanely raised, with the blood or other red
    liquid drained off from it before cooking. This, typically
    in our house, goes into a chile verde -- always this has
    tomatillos and onions, and most recently had a pile of
    pasilla chilis, roasted and de-skinned.

    Why would you ever use white pork?

    Steve

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Steve Pope) said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 02:36:17 GMT, hahabogus wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pork is white not red meat.

    Quoted message said:

    You've been watching too many pork commercials. Pork is indeed
    red meat, as is all meat from mammals.

    Proper pork is dead red. I prefer the local pastured pork,
    hacked as opposed to butchered into about the right cuts.

    I let the red fluid drain from the stuff -- say a freerange
    Boston butt, humanely raised, with the blood or other red
    liquid drained off from it before cooking. This, typically
    in our house, goes into a chile verde -- always this has
    tomatillos and onions, and most recently had a pile of
    pasilla chilis, roasted and de-skinned.

    Why would you ever use white pork?

    Steve

    It tends to be dry, but when I can get it cheap it works okay in stir
    fry, sliced thin and quick fried.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  5. "Victor Sack" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pandora said:

    All the chef I know (and I knew) make carpaccio with lemon and without
    mayonnaise.
    On cookbook you see that carpaccio is made like I have said. But doesn't
    mind!
    e can't make a war for this.

    You are babbling, get a grip! Carpaccio is very often made with lemon
    juice, but is never supposed to be marinated in it. Carpaccio is by
    definition raw meat, if it is made with meat at all. If you do not know
    any chefs who make carpaccio with raw meat, you have my sympathy, for
    this means that your obviously remote parish has little or no contact to
    the outside world. I have eaten carpaccio numerous times in Lombardy,
    Veneto, Tuscany, Umbria, Latium, and Campania. Not once did I get
    marinated meat. Here in Düsseldorf, there is a restaurant with a chef
    who was born and bred in Veneto. He serves carpaccio classico alla
    Cipriani. If you make a search for carpaccio di manzo or similar, you
    will find that the overwhelming majority of recipes call for raw meat,
    not marinated in lemon juice, though it is otherwise often used. Again,
    what you are describing is identical to many versions of carne cruda
    all'Albese or carne cruda alla Piemontese. Maybe all those poor,
    deprived and depraved chefs you know or imagine are so ashamed of their
    culinary heritage (considered glorious by everyone else), that they feel
    compelled to change their dishes' ancient, established names to the
    oh-so-fashionable nouveau-riche "carpaccio".

    Victor


    I have not said it is marinated. There is only some lemon over it. But I
    think Giusy is right: there are 1 million recipes of Carpaccio, like 1
    million recipes of Pizza napoletana. The point is: what is the original?

    --
    Kisses
    Pandora

  6. "Pandora" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Victor Sack" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pandora said:

    All the chef I know (and I knew) make carpaccio with lemon and without
    mayonnaise.
    On cookbook you see that carpaccio is made like I have said. But doesn't
    mind!
    e can't make a war for this.

    You are babbling, get a grip! Carpaccio is very often made with lemon
    juice, but is never supposed to be marinated in it. Carpaccio is by
    definition raw meat, if it is made with meat at all. If you do not know
    any chefs who make carpaccio with raw meat, you have my sympathy, for
    this means that your obviously remote parish has little or no contact to
    the outside world. I have eaten carpaccio numerous times in Lombardy,
    Veneto, Tuscany, Umbria, Latium, and Campania. Not once did I get
    marinated meat. Here in Düsseldorf, there is a restaurant with a chef
    who was born and bred in Veneto. He serves carpaccio classico alla
    Cipriani. If you make a search for carpaccio di manzo or similar, you
    will find that the overwhelming majority of recipes call for raw meat,
    not marinated in lemon juice, though it is otherwise often used. Again,
    what you are describing is identical to many versions of carne cruda
    all'Albese or carne cruda alla Piemontese. Maybe all those poor,
    deprived and depraved chefs you know or imagine are so ashamed of their
    culinary heritage (considered glorious by everyone else), that they feel
    compelled to change their dishes' ancient, established names to the
    oh-so-fashionable nouveau-riche "carpaccio".

    Victor


    I have not said it is marinated. There is only some lemon over it. But I
    think Giusy is right: there are 1 million recipes of Carpaccio, like 1
    million recipes of Pizza napoletana. The point is: what is the original?

    --
    Kisses
    Pandora

    Another thing. on "Cucina Italiana" web site, the Carpaccio di manzo is
    made with lemon and also some champignons 🙂

    --
    Kisses
    Pandora

  7. Omelet said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    Now I'm $32 poorer but not in any pain at least. Took me three
    pharmacies to even find this stuff!

    There is a reason for that.
    Pharmacies that carry that drug tend to get robbed.

    There hasn't been a pharmacy robbery here for quite a while. At
    least none that make the news.

    But I can tell that they do try and keep a low-profile. They
    made a "scene" of sorts saying that, "I don't know if we have
    that many in stock" while it was only a scrip for 24.

    Texas requires a lot of paperwork for those Class 3 drugs. Any
    other state, they could just call them in to the pharmacy and
    most everyone carried them.

    ObFood: I'm making chap chae (minus spinach) for lunch, and some
    alcoholic ginger beer for 5-6 days.

    -sw

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Steve Wertz said:
    Omelet said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    Now I'm $32 poorer but not in any pain at least. Took me three
    pharmacies to even find this stuff!

    There is a reason for that.
    Pharmacies that carry that drug tend to get robbed.

    There hasn't been a pharmacy robbery here for quite a while. At
    least none that make the news.

    You have to read the right journals.
    It's been a serious problem in some areas, enough to scare some of the
    pharmacies.

    Quoted message said:


    But I can tell that they do try and keep a low-profile. They
    made a "scene" of sorts saying that, "I don't know if we have
    that many in stock" while it was only a scrip for 24.

    Trust me. It's been a serious problem. I'm not entirely sure as to why,
    but...

    Quoted message said:


    Texas requires a lot of paperwork for those Class 3 drugs. Any
    other state, they could just call them in to the pharmacy and
    most everyone carried them.

    I know. I have a 'scrip for Amphetamines. It has to be filled within 3
    days of the doc's issue date. And I have to have a written 'scrip. A
    phone call won't do.

    Fortunately she issues me enough to last 3 to 4 months. She knows I hate
    stimulants so won't abuse them.

    Quoted message said:


    ObFood: I'm making chap chae (minus spinach) for lunch, and some
    alcoholic ginger beer for 5-6 days.

    -sw

    I still have calves foot jelly left over. Dad loves the stuff and there
    is something about that recipe that gives him extra energy and makes him
    feel really good. I'll make it for him as often as he does not get tired
    of it.

    Calves feet are cheap.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  9. Steve Wertz said:
    Omelet said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    Now I'm $32 poorer but not in any pain at least. Took me three
    pharmacies to even find this stuff!

    There is a reason for that.
    Pharmacies that carry that drug tend to get robbed.

    There hasn't been a pharmacy robbery here for quite a while. At
    least none that make the news.

    But I can tell that they do try and keep a low-profile. They
    made a "scene" of sorts saying that, "I don't know if we have
    that many in stock" while it was only a scrip for 24.

    Texas requires a lot of paperwork for those Class 3 drugs. Any
    other state, they could just call them in to the pharmacy and
    most everyone carried them.

    ObFood: I'm making chap chae (minus spinach) for lunch, and some
    alcoholic ginger beer for 5-6 days.

    -sw

    I remember that in the early 1970s in San Antonio I could walk into a
    pharmacy and get turpenhydrate with codeine on my signature.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  10. On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:28:48 -0500, Omelet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:
    Quoted message said:

    Nowadays, I can barely afford beef!

    I was almost orgasmically delighted this morning when I found bone in
    Rib Eye for $5.99 on sale.

    I bought 2 steaks for $18.00.

    That is my splurge for the year.

    I cooked and ate one as soon as I got home. Been MONTHS since I've had
    Rib Eye! I may or may not take pics of the second one. Don't hold your
    breath. ;-d

    yesterday i got a piece of flank steak for $3.99 a pound at the h-mart
    (a korean- oriented asian food store in wheaton, md.). still planning
    the final rites.

    your pal,
    blake

    So what did you do with it?
    I got behind on posts over the weekend as I had other priorities, plus I
    had to work some overtime.

    actually, it's still in the meat drawer of the refrigerator.

    probably tomorrow it will go into a marinade for london broil. i'm
    thinking pineapple-soy, or maybe this one, which sounds kinda gross,
    but is actually pretty good:

    1/4 cup each catsup, vinegar, oil and water
    1 tb prepared mustard
    1 1/2 tsp salt

    (from 'marinade magic,' by dona meilach. she says it's for beef
    kabobs.)

    ....with rice vinegar and coarse-ground major grey poupon for the
    mustard, and olive oil. probably some garlic on g.p.'s. i've used
    kraft catalina instead of the ketchup with good results, but unless
    it's on sale tomorrow, that's unlikely.

    but i'm always open to suggestions. .89 lbs, and real purdy. i
    haven't had flank in a while.

    your pal,
    blake

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:28:48 -0500, Omelet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:

    >Nowadays, I can barely afford beef!
    >
    >I was almost orgasmically delighted this morning when I found bone in
    >Rib Eye for $5.99 on sale.
    >
    >I bought 2 steaks for $18.00.
    >
    >That is my splurge for the year.
    >
    >I cooked and ate one as soon as I got home. Been MONTHS since I've had
    >Rib Eye! I may or may not take pics of the second one. Don't hold your
    >breath. ;-d

    yesterday i got a piece of flank steak for $3.99 a pound at the h-mart
    (a korean- oriented asian food store in wheaton, md.). still planning
    the final rites.

    your pal,
    blake

    So what did you do with it?
    I got behind on posts over the weekend as I had other priorities, plus I
    had to work some overtime.

    actually, it's still in the meat drawer of the refrigerator.

    probably tomorrow it will go into a marinade for london broil. i'm
    thinking pineapple-soy, or maybe this one, which sounds kinda gross,
    but is actually pretty good:

    1/4 cup each catsup, vinegar, oil and water
    1 tb prepared mustard
    1 1/2 tsp salt

    (from 'marinade magic,' by dona meilach. she says it's for beef
    kabobs.)

    ...with rice vinegar and coarse-ground major grey poupon for the
    mustard, and olive oil. probably some garlic on g.p.'s. i've used
    kraft catalina instead of the ketchup with good results, but unless
    it's on sale tomorrow, that's unlikely.

    but i'm always open to suggestions. .89 lbs, and real purdy. i
    haven't had flank in a while.

    your pal,
    blake

    Geez. For .89, I could settle for grinding it. ;-) Or pot roast.

    I like the idea of the pineapple soy thing better, maybe with some mango.
    The fruit should help tenderize it.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  12. Pandora said:

    I have not said it is marinated. There is only some lemon over it. But I
    think Giusy is right: there are 1 million recipes of Carpaccio, like 1
    million recipes of Pizza napoletana.

    I have more than just a sneaking suspicion that it was not you who wrote
    the above. In fact, I am pretty sure of this for more than one reason,
    the major of which is you are directly contradicting everything you
    posted in the thread so far. Examples:
    ___________________________________________________________________
    Yes Carpaccio means raw meat, but generally is "cooked" with lemon.
    ___________________________________________________________________
    Yes. Very good. Meat cook in the lemon because it is acid. You can cook
    Also alici and sardines in this way.
    ___________________________________________________________________

    Quoted message said:

    Carpaccio di Manzo is a huge favorite with me. I do not want it marinated
    or cooked, but I do want it served on rucola with shards of Parmigiano
    Reggiano.

    This is a sor t of tartar, not Carpaccio. Tartar meat is a big raw
    hamburger (generally with a raw egg over)
    ___________________________________________________________________

    All of the above is clearly about marinating in lemon juice, almost by
    definition.

    Your proxy, far from helping you, is acting as your worst enemy, as are
    you.

    Quoted message said:

    The point is: what is the original?

    <BOGGLE> I posted the recipe direct from the source twice already in
    this thread alone. Are you awake? Drunk? On drugs? Need help?

    And, by the way, there is only one true recipe for pizza napoletana, as
    any born and bred Neapolitan will tell you in no uncertain terms. And
    it is official, too. See
    <http://gazzette.comune.jesi.an.it/2004/120/9.htm>.

    Victor

  13. Pandora said:

    Another thing. on "Cucina Italiana" web site, the Carpaccio di manzo is
    made with lemon and also some champignons 🙂

    There are many various "cucina Italiana" Web sites, and no one has ever
    argued that there are any number of Carpaccio impostors out there -
    pointing that out, in case you still haven't noticed, is the raison
    d'être of my participation in the thread.

    Victor

  14. On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:56:26 -0500, Omelet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:28:48 -0500, Omelet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    blake murphy <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > >Nowadays, I can barely afford beef!
    > >
    > >I was almost orgasmically delighted this morning when I found bone in
    > >Rib Eye for $5.99 on sale.
    > >
    > >I bought 2 steaks for $18.00.
    > >
    > >That is my splurge for the year.
    > >
    > >I cooked and ate one as soon as I got home. Been MONTHS since I've had
    > >Rib Eye! I may or may not take pics of the second one. Don't hold your
    > >breath. ;-d
    >
    > yesterday i got a piece of flank steak for $3.99 a pound at the h-mart
    > (a korean- oriented asian food store in wheaton, md.). still planning
    > the final rites.
    >
    > your pal,
    > blake

    So what did you do with it?
    I got behind on posts over the weekend as I had other priorities, plus I
    had to work some overtime.

    actually, it's still in the meat drawer of the refrigerator.

    probably tomorrow it will go into a marinade for london broil. i'm
    thinking pineapple-soy, or maybe this one, which sounds kinda gross,
    but is actually pretty good:

    1/4 cup each catsup, vinegar, oil and water
    1 tb prepared mustard
    1 1/2 tsp salt

    (from 'marinade magic,' by dona meilach. she says it's for beef
    kabobs.)

    ...with rice vinegar and coarse-ground major grey poupon for the
    mustard, and olive oil. probably some garlic on g.p.'s. i've used
    kraft catalina instead of the ketchup with good results, but unless
    it's on sale tomorrow, that's unlikely.

    but i'm always open to suggestions. .89 lbs, and real purdy. i
    haven't had flank in a while.

    your pal,
    blake

    Geez. For .89, I could settle for grinding it. ;-) Or pot roast.


    yikes, the piece i bought *weighs* .89 lbs. it was $3.99 per lb.,
    which seemed a good price to me.

    Quoted message said:

    I like the idea of the pineapple soy thing better, maybe with some mango.
    The fruit should help tenderize it.

    we'll see.

    your pal,
    blake

  15. blake murphy said:

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:28:48 -0500, Omelet <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    blake murphy <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Nowadays, I can barely afford beef!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >I was almost orgasmically delighted this morning when I found bone in
    >Rib Eye for $5.99 on sale.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >I bought 2 steaks for $18.00.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >That is my splurge for the year.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >I cooked and ate one as soon as I got home. Been MONTHS since I've had
    >Rib Eye! I may or may not take pics of the second one. Don't hold your
    >breath. ;-d

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    yesterday i got a piece of flank steak for $3.99 a pound at the h-mart
    (a korean- oriented asian food store in wheaton, md.). still planning
    the final rites.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your pal,
    blake

    Quoted message said:

    So what did you do with it?
    I got behind on posts over the weekend as I had other priorities, plus I
    had to work some overtime.

    actually, it's still in the meat drawer of the refrigerator.

    probably tomorrow it will go into a marinade for london broil. i'm
    thinking pineapple-soy, or maybe this one, which sounds kinda gross,
    but is actually pretty good:

    1/4 cup each catsup, vinegar, oil and water
    1 tb prepared mustard
    1 1/2 tsp salt


    You're correct on the first count. It does sound gross.

    Quoted message said:


    your pal,
    blake

    --Bryan

  16. Quoted message said:
    Scott said:

    When a steak is cook rare or medium rare isn't the pink meat in the
    middle not good for you since it appears to be not fully cook? That's
    one of the reasons I always order my steaks well-done. And if they bring
    it to me with pink in the middle I send it back.

    Meat has no pathogens in its flesh unless it came from a sick animal
    and even then the muscle meat that we consume would not normally be
    contaminated. Contamination in grinding meat for hamburger or sausage
    comes from spills from the intestine during slaughter. If the
    slaughter process is not done well the carcass could be contaminated,
    then meat from that contaminated carcass when ground up mixes the
    contamination throughout the ground meat.

    The same is true for chicken. Salmonella is native to chicken's
    intestines. Hence, well seared but rare chicken is also safe, tough
    (to me) unappealing.

    Quoted message said:


    http://nativechefs.com

    --Bryan

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:
    Quoted message said:

    Geez. For .89, I could settle for grinding it. ;-) Or pot roast.


    yikes, the piece i bought *weighs* .89 lbs. it was $3.99 per lb.,
    which seemed a good price to me.

    Quoted message said:

    I like the idea of the pineapple soy thing better, maybe with some mango.
    The fruit should help tenderize it.

    we'll see.

    your pal,
    blake

    Oh.

    Sorry. :-)

    Do what you like of course.
    Your tastes are your own!

    The toughest cut I'll buy any more is usually chuck, or some sirloin now
    that I bought a new Jaccard. My old one went missing.

    Round is always served raw.

    I prefer seared rare rib eye or T-bones.

    When they are on sale...
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  18. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blair P. Houghton said:
    PeterLucas said:

    Omelet <[email hidden]> wrote in news:omp_omelet-
    > Blair P. Houghton <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> Then try carpaccio.
    >> Don't bother with steak tartare. Totally overrated unless
    >> the meat is gorgeous.
    >
    > When I make Tartar, it's cubed into approx. 1/2" cubes...
    > but I agree that Carpaccio is better! ;-d
    > http://i16.tinypic.com/5xywje1.jpg

    Nice lookin' meat. What is it?

    Looks like an eye round.

    Top round.

    Quoted message said:

    No good for tartare or carpaccio,
    but beautiful for chili.

    Disagree... You need totally lean meat to serve raw. Raw beef fat is
    gross.

    Ooh, you have never had real Prime strip done Pittsburgh
    style, seared on the outside and with the middle still raw
    and cool. The little lines of fat in the middle are the
    key. Kobe beef is the same way, only moreso. If you cook
    either until the fat melts, you've pretty much wasted the
    meat and should have bought Choice and done it medium-rare.

    --Blair

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blair P. Houghton said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blair P. Houghton said:

    PeterLucas <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >Omelet <[email hidden]> wrote in news:omp_omelet-
    >> Blair P. Houghton <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>> Then try carpaccio.
    >>> Don't bother with steak tartare. Totally overrated unless
    >>> the meat is gorgeous.
    >>
    >> When I make Tartar, it's cubed into approx. 1/2" cubes...
    >> but I agree that Carpaccio is better! ;-d
    >> http://i16.tinypic.com/5xywje1.jpg
    >
    >Nice lookin' meat. What is it?

    Looks like an eye round.

    Top round.

    Quoted message said:

    No good for tartare or carpaccio,
    but beautiful for chili.

    Disagree... You need totally lean meat to serve raw. Raw beef fat is
    gross.

    Ooh, you have never had real Prime strip done Pittsburgh
    style, seared on the outside and with the middle still raw
    and cool. The little lines of fat in the middle are the
    key. Kobe beef is the same way, only moreso. If you cook
    either until the fat melts, you've pretty much wasted the
    meat and should have bought Choice and done it medium-rare.

    --Blair

    I understand what you are saying, but that post was about RAW meat
    (Tartar), not _rare_ meat. :-)

    I ate those two rib eyes blood rare in the middle last week and almost
    blackened on the outside. I marinated them lightly in some soy sauce and
    heated up peanut oil to the smoke point in the skillet.

    Gods they were good!

    But, sometimes I am just in the mood to eat raw beef, then top round is
    perfect for that dipped in a whipped mix of raw egg yolk and low sodium
    soy sauce. I keep it simple.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  20. Blair P. Houghton said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Blair P. Houghton <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    PeterLucas <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >Omelet <[email hidden]> wrote in news:omp_omelet-
    >> Blair P. Houghton <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>> Then try carpaccio.
    >>> Don't bother with steak tartare. Totally overrated unless
    >>> the meat is gorgeous.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> When I make Tartar, it's cubed into approx. 1/2" cubes...
    >> but I agree that Carpaccio is better! ;-d
    >>http://i16.tinypic.com/5xywje1.jpg

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >Nice lookin' meat. What is it?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Looks like an eye round.

    Quoted message said:

    Top round.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No good for tartare or carpaccio,
    but beautiful for chili.

    Quoted message said:

    Disagree... You need totally lean meat to serve raw. Raw beef fat is
    gross.

    Ooh, you have never had real Prime strip done Pittsburgh
    style, seared on the outside and with the middle still raw
    and cool. The little lines of fat in the middle are the
    key. Kobe beef is the same way, only moreso. If you cook
    either until the fat melts, you've pretty much wasted the
    meat and should have bought Choice and done it medium-rare.

    Now come on. You shouldn't suggest that anything less than prime
    should not also be done rare. I never buy prime, and enjoy the heck
    out of choice strip steaks, preferably bone-in, sliced 1-1/2" to 2"
    thick, Pittsburgh style over seasoned hickory wood. I have one in the
    fridge that I bought yesterday, but it's only a 1" thick cut.

    Quoted message said:


    --Blair

    --Bryan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.