Ras suspended for two years

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
Note that his suspension starts the day he left the Tour. FLandis got seven additional months added to the time he stopped racing.

Bro Deal said:
Note that his suspension starts the day he left the Tour. FLandis got seven additional months added to the time he stopped racing.
That oughta teach the bastards not to appeal... :rolleyes:

In the interests of fairness they should be allowed to appeal and not be penalised for taking advantage of that right. It means the convictions are more watertight.

But in the case of Ras, looks like the dopers are going down, one at a time. Record number of convictions in the past few years perhaps? Shows there's at least some hope.

Eldrack said:
In the interests of fairness they should be allowed to appeal and not be penalised for taking advantage of that right. It means the convictions are more watertight.

But in the case of Ras, looks like the dopers are going down, one at a time. Record number of convictions in the past few years perhaps? Shows there's at least some hope.

well bar that spanish bloke Ras was shaking hands with at the Giro....... he's immune to any interrogation.....

Crankyfeet said:
That oughta teach the bastards not to appeal... :rolleyes:
<insert sarcasm> Yeah, we need to discourage that appeals process . . . that stuff's in the procedural rule books merely for show. Nobody's supposed to really take them up on that . . . it costs too much money. <end sarcasm> (btw, I know you were being sarcastic too).

I think after the Flandis mess, the riders will think long and before filing an appeal and it will be a long time before we see another.

Well, we know how screwed up the system is - some riders protected, others ostracized and persecuted to hell, inconsistent punishments, etc. Don't expect anything to get any better as long as McQuaid and Heiny are running the show. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, a verdict is expected tomorrow in Ras's case against Rabobank. If Ras "hits" it, he won't have to worry about cycling anymore.

kennf said:
Meanwhile, a verdict is expected tomorrow in Ras's case against Rabobank. If Ras "hits" it, he won't have to worry about cycling anymore.
I hope he gets something. Not because he is innocent, but because the higher-ups were as guilty as Chicken in this affair. And to let them go scot-free is just wrong and just reinforces the current situation of riders getting strung up high while the team staff go free.

TheDarkLord said:
I hope he gets something. Not because he is innocent, but because the higher-ups were as guilty as Chicken in this affair. And to let them go scot-free is just wrong and just reinforces the current situation of riders getting strung up high while the team staff go free.
It really depends how clever he ahs been throughout his career to keep records of evidence that Rabobank board members knew about doping within the teams and actually encouraged it. If he has this then it is case closed he will get 10m+

I still think he should whistle blow, the French papers would pay a fortune for a Rasmussen exposee but there is a chance he would get sued to buggery by everyone!

I also hope he gets something because regardless of all gone before, the performance last year by Ras was incredible. He was incredibly single minded in the first ITT, a bit lucky because of the weather breaks but still great. Obviously the crowning glory was how after being undone just once by COntador he adapted and completely worked out how to break the youngster by just keeping a constant high tempo pace allowing Contador to break and rest, break and rest until he was spent .... and then the dramatic attack which evoked this response from Eurosport commentator(not exact quote):

'Rasmussen attacks, Rasmussen attacks, Contador's cracked ...... and then ' Is he in the big cog, I can't believe what I am seeing Rasmussen is standing up attacking in the big cog'

Classic!

TheDarkLord said:
I hope he gets nothing. If he were willing to talk and say that he was doping and that the management knew it then I would be all for him making bank off the situation. But he wants to have his cake and eat it too. He is still claiming innocence; it is the ol' big bad Rabo that unjustly stopped him from winning the TdF.

kennf said:
From Eurosport:
Rasmussen sacking 'legal'

Eurosport | Wed, Jul 2, 10:17 A Dutch court rules that Danish cyclist Michael Rasmussen was justifiably sacked by Rabobank the 2007 Tour de France. However, the court ordered Rabobank to pay Rasmussen 700,000 euros in damages for firing the cyclist with immediate effect last July. He had been seeking 5.5 million euros.

Bro Deal said:
I hope he gets nothing. If he were willing to talk and say that he was doping and that the management knew it then I would be all for him making bank off the situation. But he wants to have his cake and eat it too. He is still claiming innocence; it is the ol' big bad Rabo that unjustly stopped him from winning the TdF.
I thought he admitted that he lied about his whereabouts, but that the management knew that he was lying. :confused:

TheDarkLord said:
I thought he admitted that he lied about his whereabouts, but that the management knew that he was lying. :confused:
That is exactly it. He said he had lied to the UCI but not to team management.

He didn't however mention anything about lying to his fans and pretending he was clean. He has tried to make it seem that the only issue is the whereabouts lie - never mind that the lie was used in order to prevent him being dope tested during his crucial training period.

What about the big doping lie Ras?

That's the one we're all really interested in and that's why nobody cares that you'll never ride the Tour again.

How much was Rabo paying him annualy? Let's say the revelations about Ras didn't come to a boil until immediately after the Tour (which he wins), and Rabobank keeps him on pending the decision of the Monoco Cycling Union. However, no sponsors (independent of the team) wants to throw money at him until the controversy is cleared. The Union issues it's decision, and Rabo (presumably) sacks him per the terms of his contract. He then has no basis to sue Rabo, has a 2 year suspension (so that no sponsor would want to touch him), and none of the yellow jersey bonus money from sponsors because of the taint. Hasn't he come out ahead by Rabo firing him, thereby giving him the opportunity get more money than he would have without the firing?

'Rasmussen attacks, Rasmussen attacks, Contador's cracked ...... and then ' Is he in the big cog, I can't believe what I am seeing Rasmussen is standing up attacking in the big cog'

Classic!

Chicken lied, Rabo new it. Contador was juiced, the hog juiced him. All that aside, 2007 tdf was a classic battle. The attacks by disco of contador and levi, wheel sucking by evans, the sheer determination by the chicken. 07 was great.

Had the scandal not occurred, we would be talking about one of the greatest tours ever.

Chicken changing tactics and crushing Contador and Levi was unbelievable. Doped or not.

What UCI rule did Ras break that stipulates a two year penalty? Lying about his whereabouts?

Crankyfeet said:
What UCI rule did Ras break that stipulates a two year penalty? Lying about his whereabouts?
missed tests

he missed two UCI + two Danish tests.

Only allowed to miss 3 per year. I think. May even be a revolving 2 year window.

But he missed 4 tests, but there was no dialogue between Danish Cycling Org and UCI to add them, plus, there is ambiguity if the addition is allowed in the statutes. Also, there was ambiguity over a missed tests, and warnings, what they amounted to.

Plus the AWOL in Mexico.

Anyway, it was a political decision, everyone here knows that.

thunder said:
Anyway, it was a political decision, everyone here knows that.
I'm not disagreeing with the guy requiring punishment.

Part of me wants consistency and black and white rules... and part of me wants subjectiveness... so that the cheats who know how to pass the dope tests... are suddenly finding it more difficult to sleep.

But I still believe that those at the top in the admin. have little accountability... the cyclists are the sacrificial lambs... and due to **** poor investment in testing (though comprehensive testing is expensive)... it is still really a requirement to dope if you want to play the game and get anything from it.

IMHO... some of the guys dropped the juice last year... probably in tune with signing the form from the UCI... and they payed the price of looking like arses. Valverde... Menchov... others probably. This year they will know better IMO.

I have no faith whatsoever that ASO will find any/many dopers this year. The way they carried on complaining about the UCI when those scandals were happening... you know that they wanted more control to make sure the scandals don't happen in the future.