Rash from chamois after cycling

sunshineme

Apr 4, 2012
I've been struggling with this problem for a few weeks and its getting frustrating. I can't seem to find anyone with the same situation, so if you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

A few weeks ago after a couple of days of riding back to back and getting caught in the rain one of those days I got a rash after riding. There aren't any bumps and its not saddle sores. Just red and swollen and extremely painful, especially at the junction between my thigh and girl parts. To a smaller degree on the girl parts. I took a few days off and it improved until I got back on the bike and it flared back up. Doc thought it might be an infection so I went on antibiotics. Again it got better...until I road. And then it was just as bad as before. Doc says it seems to be an allergy.

So after letting it heal again (about 5 days of no biking or exercise) I went out today. I wore brand new shorts so I know there is no leftover chammy cream on them (I had switched to hoo ha glide cream a few weeks before this happened). I washed them in fragrance-free/dye-free detergent. My usual shorts are Terry brand and these ones were PI. And yet it still happened! I was only out for 40 minutes. The rash is only in areas where my body touches the chamois.

Anyone have a suggestion? I'm training hard for a big ride and can't afford any more time off the bike.

Thanks!

I hope nobody suggests you send a picture.

I am not a doctor but am just using some deductive reasoning to see if you are allergic to the chamois. Can you ride any distance with just your normal underwear on and see if this occurs?

Has your doctor considered if you could have a fungal infection... e.g. "female jock itch"? In which case antibiotics will not help and could make it worse. Or it could be something else too.

I am not recommending this product, but here's some information:
http://www.jockitchcure.co.uk/female_jock_itch.html

Haha no pictures - but really its simply puffy red skin.

Actually I was thinking of trying the padless experiment tomorrow. Because I really can't come up with what else is causing it. It's not fungal - none of the look you'd expect to the skin in that scenario. And it got better, or at least definitely didn't get worse, with antibiotics. We've ruled out yeast too. It clears up almost completely with a few days off the bike and corticosteroid cream. Then a ride and its right back. I know that allergies can start suddenly, but what I don't understand is why? i've been using the same shorts for at least the last 7 months. And yes, I clean them really well after each ride :)

Thanks for your help!

sunshineme said:
Haha no pictures - but really its simply puffy red skin.
Actually I was thinking of trying the padless experiment tomorrow. Because I really can't come up with what else is causing it. It's not fungal - none of the look you'd expect to the skin in that scenario. And it got better, or at least definitely didn't get worse, with antibiotics. We've ruled out yeast too. It clears up almost completely with a few days off the bike and corticosteroid cream. Then a ride and its right back. I know that allergies can start suddenly, but what I don't understand is why? i've been using the same shorts for at least the last 7 months. And yes, I clean them really well after each ride :)
Thanks for your help!
How do you clean your shorts? Have you changed to a new detergent? Just as a reminder, once a ride is done, get out of your shorts (and bike kit in general) as soon as possible in order to minimize the time your groinal region is in contact with a surface that's potentially very good at growing bacteria and/or fungus. Don't put your bike kit in the hamper or laundry bag when it's wet. I allow mine to air dry before my bike kit goes in the laundry bag. I also don't use regularly laundry detergent. Instead I use Penguin Sports Wash. Another option would be to use a pure soap as a detergent. Even if the detergent you use is fragrance and dye free, it still can leave a residue. Have you changed anything else in your routine?

Dreft, "ALL" baby laundry detergent or something similar. Fragrance free and non-biological.

Often "biological" detergents don't fully rinse out and literally become biological on your nether regions.

If your washing machine has an "extra rinse" cycle then give that a try too.

As Alienator said - don't let the shorts sit around damp. I'm normally in the shower fairly soon after a ride and the shorts sit inside out balanced on the edge of the laundry basket.

Chamios cream was once a must-have item - but that was back when real chamois was used that sometimes went cardboard hard if dried too quick. Modern inserts remain soft and many can be used without chamois cream. Personally, I like my padding dry and refrain from using anything slippery down there unless Mistress Cruella requires it...

... I jest about that last part.

Well, maybe.

Reactions: steve
Have you recently purchased new cycling shorts? You may have an allergy to the fiber content of your shorts. I work in the textile industry and we have some associates that are allergic to different fibers in use. Some of the reactions I have seen here are respiratory and some are inflammatory. Try using some older shorts when your condition clears up to see what happens.

Idea #1 What about your saddle? Many oily poisons from plants and trees can hang around for weeks. Could your saddle have been leaned against something that was/is contaminated and then your moist cycling shorts wicks the whatever back to you?

Idea#2 Some sort of heat rash? Are you moist? Does your skin feel dry... or drier than before... since you recently.. "had switched to hoo ha glide cream a few weeks before this happened". Are you hydrating enough for your body to keep you naturally cool.

If your real name is actually Sunshine.... I may actually know you.

Knicks that have been hand washed in a hurry and not rinsed properly can be dangerous /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif its happened to me once or twice over the last 20 years.

Thanks everyone! When all of this started I'd been washing my shorts in the washing machine and they were shorts I've had for months so it wasn't a new material. I knew my saddle wasn't a great fit, so since this started I have a new saddle. So I know its not stuff hanging around in the saddle and yesterday I rode in brand new shorts (tho washed in Tide dye/fragrance free detergent) and got irritated so I don't think its anything hanging out in the shorts from bad washings. Like I said the only thing I'd changed at all was the switch from Beljum Budder to Hoo Ha Glide a few weeks prior (but no problems during those weeks). And yesterday I went out without cream and it still caused irritation.

So, if it is the pad - and it doesn't seem brand specific because its happened with Terry and PI shorts - anyone have any idea what to do??

Oh and to answer about the heat rash - I wondered about that, but from all the photos that google so helpfully provides for anything you never wanted to see - it doesn't look like that. There is no rash to speak of when this happens. Its just like red skin all puffed up but no bumps to it at all.

Nope my name's not really Sunshine :)

Being dye and fragrance free doesn't mean something isn't being left in your shorts.

Originally Posted by sunshineme .

Thanks everyone! When all of this started I'd been washing my shorts in the washing machine and they were shorts I've had for months so it wasn't a new material. I knew my saddle wasn't a great fit, so since this started I have a new saddle. So I know its not stuff hanging around in the saddle and yesterday I rode in brand new shorts (tho washed in Tide dye/fragrance free detergent) and got irritated so I don't think its anything hanging out in the shorts from bad washings. Like I said the only thing I'd changed at all was the switch from Beljum Budder to Hoo Ha Glide a few weeks prior (but no problems during those weeks). And yesterday I went out without cream and it still caused irritation.

So, if it is the pad - and it doesn't seem brand specific because its happened with Terry and PI shorts - anyone have any idea what to do??
Just because the detergent you use is free from dye and scent doesn't mean that the "cleaning agents" aren't still there - it would appear they are. There's stuff in the ingredients list that positively sounds like it'd melt skin ;)

Unlike your regular clothes, your chamois is in a rather sweaty area that's being pressed hard into your skin. Heat, moisture (sweat), pressure and whatever chemicals are left from your detergent.

http://www.pgproductsafety.com/productsafety/ingredients/household_care/laundary_fabric_care/Tide/Tide_Liquid_Free.pdf

Mmmmm, that list just makes me want to slather linear alkylbenzene sulfonate (LAS) and polyethyleneimine ethoxylate all over me and then just wait for the bumps to appear. BTW, linear alkylbenzene sulfonate has a 179 page material safety data sheet (MSDS), so chances are it is somewhat possible that it could cause some side effects... it seemed to in all the animals that were harmed in testing and no, I'm not reading it all for you. :p LAS is a major component of most dishwashing and laundry soap.

You could try using old fashioned soap flakes - they have none of the junk that's in the product you're using now. Dreft used to be made from soap flakes but they moved away from that in recent years... For about $10 it's a cheap and easy test. Throw your cycling gear in the wash and add an extra rinse cycle.