rash

dianna

Sep 15, 2004
I have been cycling for two years, now. I always get a rash on the bottom of my butt cheeks. The outside part that shows in a bikini. I am very self conscious about it because i figure people see it and think I have a rash all over my butt. Even when the bumps aren't there, it seems to be, because there are still red spots. No bumps, just reddishness. Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this, get rid of it, and get rid of the red even when the rash is gone??

dianna said:
I have been cycling for two years, now. I always get a rash on the bottom of my butt cheeks. The outside part that shows in a bikini. I am very self conscious about it because i figure people see it and think I have a rash all over my butt. Even when the bumps aren't there, it seems to be, because there are still red spots. No bumps, just reddishness. Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this, get rid of it, and get rid of the red even when the rash is gone??
Are you using the same shorts every time you ride? If you have multiple pair, are they the same brand? Some shorts do this to some people, you may have to change brands or types of shorts, especially if you only have one pair or only have one type. i have one pair of shorts that has a seam in the wrong places that chafes me. Other preventative measures are things like chamois creme. It seems weird but just dollop the stuff in there. Different people like different types of creme and some people use it on every ride. Also the saddle you are using may not fit your rear correctly. Some folks need wide and some folks need narrow. Also, get out of your cycling shorts as soon as you are finished riding and wash them, and yourself, and dry yourself thoroughly afterwards.

If the rash is persistent, you may want to see a dermatologist to get something to make it go away and then try to see if you can then keep it away.

I get this problem sometimes if I ride four or five hours more than two days in a row. If I were going to make a habit of that I might try the chamois creme.