Rasmussen out of the tour!!!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Trajectum, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mansmind

Mansmind New Member

I don't know anything about his reputation, but certainly he busted is butt today. That guy looked exhausted, very exhausted.

In fact, 3 out of 4 in the front group looked very tired to me, you could tell they had reached the limit.

Ras on the other hand, looked very fresh to me. Perhaps that is his "tired" expression, but he looked much more tired 2 days ago in my opinion. I was watching this evening and made notice of it before I saw the latest news, I am not surprised.

2. David_Zen

David_Zen New Member

I would really like to hear from Rasmussen why he lied about his whereabouts. Do you think he'd actually lie about his reason for lying? I wonder.

3. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

maybe. its hard to remain optomistic though. what a sad outcome for the greatest race on earth :(

4. fbircher

fbircher New Member

But what did he think he was gaining by saying he was in Mexico? In either case, he was reporting his whereabouts after having already missed the doping controls. If he had told them he was in Italy (after having successfully avoided the controls), there wouldn't have been any more/less speculation about what he was doing there than there was by telling them he was in Mexico.

5. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

What cycling needs is an overhaul of the guys in charge. Unfortunately that's who is responsible for cleaning shop so that will be difficult. These guys don't know if they should clamp down or clamp up. And they let the problem grow for forty years in the first place.

6. Tonto

Tonto New Member

You do have to wonder just how stupid these guys are. Juicing up on test then going out and riding a wonder-stage. Messing with your blood and getting someone else's in there by mistake. Being one of the most recognisable faces in your sport, going to the country where that sport is absolutely huge, meeting people involved in the sport and then telling the authorities you were 7000 miles away. It's beyond belief. The people who have been caught, the big names, have either slipped up badly or been caught by the civil authorities because they were involved in production line levels of doping with many many cyclists attending the same doctor. Now I can understand how someone with enough money to employ his doctor exclusively could ensure that his logistics are tight enough to ensure he never gets caught.

7. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah Banned

As down and cynical as we all are today, IF (and that's a big if folks), this turns around the culture of the sport, then we the fans might be the winners in the long run....

8. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Lim the UCI failed to tell ASO about Ras's missed tests... I heard Prudhomme on EuroSport today and he's really mad with McQuaid for not telling him.... he is really pissed.....the break-away (pardon the pun) UCi next year will be run a lot better..... I'm looking forward to it and no Disco !

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Agreed.

But dear old Pat McQuaid was on national radio this morning - telling the nation that the dope results for Vino show that the sport is cleaning up it's act, unlike all other sports.

Pat is talking bollox (as usual).
    If cycling is cleaning up it's act, why did cycling not take a leaf out of footballs book, and ban Ras for missing a dope control appointment?
    Rio Ferdinand went missing for a dope control appointment....and the FA banned him for 9 months.

10. Trajectum

Trajectum New Member

I know.. I cant get my head around that same question it seems so morronic. Couldnt make such stuff up if you wanted to and yet its true..

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Whether the UCI failed to tell the ASO or not - is debatable.
    Why didn't the UCI institute it's own directive and ban Ras?
    The UCI has the ultimate say in all this.
    Whether the UCI informed ASO is academic.
    If the UCI was doing it's job - it would have banned Ras in June 07 - when he missed his first appointment.
    (in fact the Danes should have withdrawn Ras licence in June 07).

Rio Ferdinand.

12. thetmqdoc

thetmqdoc New Member

Once they are through kicking everyone off its going to be about as exciting as a local group ride. :(

13. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

LOL, its all LA/USPS/Disco's fault right? Must have been a hard 9 years. :p

14. Trajectum

Trajectum New Member

Why is it even possible to miss on out of competition controls and just hide for a few weeks (Ras wasnt the only one in the peleton who received a warning for not being in the location he stated he is just the only name we have because of the Danish story)

How hard is it to require pro cyclists to wear an "UCI GPS" or something down that line?

15. hgb

hgb New Member

His excuse was that he was in a remote part of Mexico training at altitude and didn't have a computer, hence couldn't contact people.

16. Denia

Denia New Member

I agree with you there. If he had been withdrawn before the stage it would hardly have caused a ripple. Nevertheless, Vino´s transfusions would still have left a dark cloud over the 2007 TdF. I also think that when you throw in Basso, Hamilton, Tyler, Ullrich, Operacion Puerto, Pettachi etc, then the death knell might be ringing for more than just the TdF - especially if, as reported, several other teams abandon the race. You suggested yesterday the French Govt. was on the verge of intervening - I wouldn´t be surprised if they suspended it now.

One assumes that nothing significant will change between now and September to bring them all back together so La Vuelta is likely to suffer from collateral damage. It will probably be contested by mostly Spanish teams.

Each time we think the sport has reached a new low something materialises to make the hole that bit deeper and darker.

17. Trajectum

Trajectum New Member

In any case the Rasmussen story is a symptom of the system that is in place. With all that happened in the last days and with this years tour completely down the drain after this the ASO and UCI can not claim that cyling is well on its way to cleaning up its act anymore they will have to acknowledge that it is impossible to pin the shame on individual riders anymore but will be forced to accept that the system is corrupt.

That being said action is called for. Big action and change in regime. And then maybe this tour, as bad as it is for the sport, could be the start of a new era..

18. poulidor

poulidor New Member

The good news are that fans know the truth now. I read this forum in english since last year to try to improve it, I thought it was interresting to know what was thinking the anglo-saxon after Landis' doping.
    I see a lot of progress, just keep House and Musette to convinct.:D

19. RedFury

RedFury New Member

Thanks but no thanks. The RFEC has been working hard/er that anyone else to keep its riders and La Vuelta clean. Tough job tough no doubt. Mayhaps that has something to do with Vino's 'miraculous' comeback to beat Bala-verde last year?

20. saluki

saluki New Member

You should try reading your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.