Rate my progress and training!

nola-ron

Mar 6, 2013
Just looking for some feedback on where I'm at in my cycling addiction. As of March, I've been cycling for a year. I fell off the bike a couple times last year but I'm hooked now more than ever.

I started cycling at 314 pounds. I'm currently at 241. Here's my typical week:
4-5 nights of 25-35 mile rides (I push 30+ as much as possible, unless weather/time stops me).
I average 19-22 mph on the flats (no hills in NOLA!)
Cadence last year was maintained around 80-85, this year it's 90-95 sustained throughout the ride

This month I've started interval training as well as on/off saddle drills while maintaining my cadence.

Am I ready for any sort of group rides? Is there anything else I should start adding to my routine? Am I totally still sucking or am I doing ok for my weight/time cycling? Really just looking for input and opinions from real cyclists.

Kudos on the weight loss. A few comments on your questions.
19-22 avg speed is good pace, especially at your weight.
Your cadence should be whatever works best for you. With a lower cadence, you are making your power more with torque and with a higher cadence you are making your power more with cadence. Either is fine, just experiment to find your best cadence (i.e., at a given speed, what cadence feels easier).
There's no particular reason to do off-the-saddle drills. About the only times I get off the saddle are to sprint or to rest my back during a long climb.
Intervals are good, but at this point I would keep them fairly long (>10mins). You don't really need to be doing short intervals now.
You can definitely do group rides now. Very few groups other than race clubs average more than 19-22, and it's a lot easier to ride 19-22 in the draft. But, the group rides will likely be less training benefit than your solo rides, so don't expect to improve your fitness from group rides.
Your weight loss is great, but you'll enjoy cycling even more if you lose more weight and get down to <200lbs.

Weekend rides of longer distances (obviously not as fast or as high an intensity) are also enjoyable -- start with 3 hours and work up to a century or more if you like. This is where riding with a group is fun and pleasant, because you can be sociable, share the work of sitting on the front, stop at a cafe or at the end for a chat, etc. Most clubs near you should have weekend rides?

Originally Posted by RapDaddyo
so don't expect to improve your fitness from group rides.
That really depends on the group. Solo riding is great, but it is easier mentally to push yourself harder in a group. Frisky groups with town line sprints, pissing matches and other cat an mouse games is were you will begin to find out what type of rider you are and start to craft a strategy.

It is also rewarding after seasons and off-seasons of training to be able to throw down with the big dogs of the group. If you end up being the strongest, then just do some epic pulls - thats good training for you and your ride mates will respect you for it.

Originally Posted by maydog
That really depends on the group. Solo riding is great, but it is easier mentally to push yourself harder in a group. Frisky groups with town line sprints, pissing matches and other cat an mouse games is were you will begin to find out what type of rider you are and start to craft a strategy.

It is also rewarding after seasons and off-seasons of training to be able to throw down with the big dogs of the group. If you end up being the strongest, then just do some epic pulls - thats good training for you and your ride mates will respect you for it.
Precisely my thoughts and what I'm after - I want someone to kick my ass and make me come back for more. I'm pretty competitive in anything I do and I don't like losing so I'll strive for improvement... I hope.

Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm going to start looking for a non-race group to get to know and hopefully ride with soon.

Oh and a little update - weighed myself after my ride this morning. Last weigh in was last week and this week I'm down another 10 pounds! Currently at 233!! My original weight loss goal was to get down to 225 (from 314) but now that's not going to be good enough! I'm shooting for 190!!