Rate this bike please!!

dowaddings

Feb 22, 2004
I'm evaluating a purchase of the following used bike, please let me know what you think. It's got about 2000 km on it, looks new. Owner is asking $2400 Canadian. A penny for your thoughts..

2003 Opus Vivace (Columbus Zona tubing with Carbon seat-stays)
Profile BSC Carbon Fork
Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheel Set
Full Ultegra Groupo
Vittoria Rubino Pro Kevlar 700x23C (rear is brand new)
Ritchey Comp Ergo Bar 31.8mm
Ritchey Pro 31.8mm stem
Opus Carbon Post
Salle Italia SLR XP Saddle 185g.

Complete Bike weight 17.0lbs without pedals

Try to get a Colnago C40 or C50!

I found on internet (famous bike shop: Salden)

Colnago C40 BStay 00F 55cm
FIR Speedlite carbon wheels (new $1800)
Full Campagnolo Record 10sp
Chris King headset
Era Pro saddle
Colnago stem
Colnago carbon seatpost
Full carbon bike, carbon color in with yellow accents
EURO 3495

Colnago C40 BStay, same setup but GPM wheels. 59cm. Full carbon color with yellow accents.
Same prize

Chesini. 57cm
Dedacciai U2 tubes!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carbon Stays
FSA Team Issue carbon cranks!!!
CAMPAGNOLO HYPERON wheelset with tubulars (best wheelset availeble with the Campagnolo Bora. 1200g. new $2000)
Deda Newton stem/post/bar set
2750euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is much more interesting!!!!!!! There are photos on internet and you can call them. I bought my pair of Bora's in this shop.

Originally posted by dowaddings
I'm evaluating a purchase of the following used bike, please let me know what you think. It's got about 2000 km on it, looks new. Owner is asking $2400 Canadian. A penny for your thoughts..
First off, I don't know much about Opus, but this seems like a fairly well-spec'd upscale model. 2000km isn't too much mileage, but for $2400 CAN ($1800 USD) I'd want to get pretty personal with the bike before making a final decision.

If it appears to be well taken care of, I suppose it may be a fair price; similarly equipped 2004 models are going for over $2500 USD, or $3000 CAN.

Beyond that, it's personal. You can get Ultegra/Ksyrium SL road bikes brand new from other makers at that cost -- the assumption here has to be that you're particularly interested in this frame or company. Seems nice... if it tickles you, go for it, I suppose.

Thanks for the info. When you say 'from other makes at that cost', do you mean $2400 CAN or do you mean more? If the same ballpark, any makers you'd recommend? I'm assuming you'd mean 2003 models at 'clearout' prices.

Thanks,

John

Originally posted by lokstah
First off, I don't know much about Opus, but this seems like a fairly well-spec'd upscale model. 2000km isn't too much mileage, but for $2400 CAN ($1800 USD) I'd want to get pretty personal with the bike before making a final decision.

If it appears to be well taken care of, I suppose it may be a fair price; similarly equipped 2004 models are going for over $2500 USD, or $3000 CAN.

Beyond that, it's personal. You can get Ultegra/Ksyrium SL road bikes brand new from other makers at that cost -- the assumption here has to be that you're particularly interested in this frame or company. Seems nice... if it tickles you, go for it, I suppose.

Sure; I can recommend a few models and makers to look into. I suppose the one self-correction I need to make regards the wheelset. Though there's no telling what odd build you can find at a local shop, you won't find many new bikes factory spec'd with Ksyrium SLs in that price range, for any year. That's not because Ksyriums are only fit for $3000 bikes, but rather because they're simply market-positioned that way. Bike companies tend to under-spec wheelsets (relative to the market level of other components on the same bike) on factory models.

Take the 2004 Giant TCR Composite 2, for instance -- this is an excellent full carbon race frame with an Ultegra drivetrain; a true hotrod. Giant only sells their absolute top-shelf models with Ksyrium-SL level wheels; the TCR Composite 2 comes with a Shimano R-540 wheelset. Nonetheless, it's a great deal and it goes for about $2000 USD.

The 2004 Specialized Allez Comp is on the other end of the spectrum -- it's got an Ultegra drivetrain and Ksyrium Equipe wheels with a pricetag of $1600 USD.

Same goes for TT or Tri bikes -- you can land a 2004 Cervelo Dual with full Ultegra and a solid Ritchey wheelset for $1500 USD.

Here's the thing, though -- adjust to include value (about $800 USD) of a Ksyrium SL wheelset, even a lightly used one, and your Opus starts to look reasonable, provided its in good shape. The makers listed above (and similar values from Fuji, Felt, Trek, Cannondale, and Bianchi) reflect a slightly different category of bike than Opus seems to be.

Frankly, it's being sold as a sexier, higher-shelf frame, and that's valid in cycling business. Even if they're using similar alloys or composites, you expect to pay more for a DeRosa than for a comparably spec'd Trek. I'm building a Klein Q-Pro and it's simply a more expensive frame than my Giant. Period. But I want it.

Good luck deciding... let us know what you're up to.

LBS her ein Ottawa carries Pous and I have seen them and looked at the Vivace... Its a very nice bike by a good company. I know the owner of the lbs that sells Opus and he really likes them.

Do you have to pay tax too? Last year I got a Giant TCR1 Composite and it was near $4k CDN with the taxes. If it fits I would pull the trigger and get it.

That's a more complete answer than I could have hoped for - thanks a bunch.

Sure; I can recommend a few models and makers to look into. I suppose the one self-correction I need to make regards the wheelset. Though there's no telling what odd build you can find at a local shop, you won't find many new bikes factory spec'd with Ksyrium SLs in that price range, for any year. That's not because Ksyriums are only fit for $3000 bikes, but rather because they're simply market-positioned that way. Bike companies tend to under-spec wheelsets (relative to the market level of other components on the same bike) on factory models.

Take the 2004 Giant TCR Composite 2, for instance -- this is an excellent full carbon race frame with an Ultegra drivetrain; a true hotrod. Giant only sells their absolute top-shelf models with Ksyrium-SL level wheels; the TCR Composite 2 comes with a Shimano R-540 wheelset. Nonetheless, it's a great deal and it goes for about $2000 USD.

The 2004 Specialized Allez Comp is on the other end of the spectrum -- it's got an Ultegra drivetrain and Ksyrium Equipe wheels with a pricetag of $1600 USD.

Same goes for TT or Tri bikes -- you can land a 2004 Cervelo Dual with full Ultegra and a solid Ritchey wheelset for $1500 USD.

Here's the thing, though -- adjust to include value (about $800 USD) of a Ksyrium SL wheelset, even a lightly used one, and your Opus starts to look reasonable, provided its in good shape. The makers listed above (and similar values from Fuji, Felt, Trek, Cannondale, and Bianchi) reflect a slightly different category of bike than Opus seems to be.

Frankly, it's being sold as a sexier, higher-shelf frame, and that's valid in cycling business. Even if they're using similar alloys or composites, you expect to pay more for a DeRosa than for a comparably spec'd Trek. I'm building a Klein Q-Pro and it's simply a more expensive frame than my Giant. Period. But I want it.

Chesini. 57cm bike
Dedacciai U2 tubes
Carbon Stays
CAMPAGNOLO HYPERON wheelset with tubulars (best wheelset availeble with the Campagnolo Bora. 1200g. new $2000)
About $2750. ;)

Thanks, where do I find this?

Originally posted by marlon1
Chesini. 57cm bike
Dedacciai U2 tubes
Carbon Stays
About $2750. ;)

I'm not advertising or something..... :)

www.salden.nl/winkel/race

click on 'stock', (most above link) then 'voorraad racefietsen' and then 'occasion' (lowest link). It is the 3trd bike. You can see photos of it. There are also other bikes....

But I live in The Netherlands. I bought my stuff (Colnago bike, Bora wheels) in this shop. It the largest shop here...

I think you can also find more similar bikes with the same prize on internet......... try Ebay and search on: campagnolo record in the bike-section, of try 'colnago'. or something

Ok, will do. thanks.

Originally posted by marlon1
I'm not advertising or something..... :)

www.salden.nl/winkel/race

click on 'stock', (most above link) then 'voorraad racefietsen' and then 'occasion' (lowest link). It is the 3trd bike. You can see photos of it. There are also other bikes....

But I live in The Netherlands. I bought my stuff (Colnago bike, Bora wheels) in this shop. It the largest shop here...

I think you can also find more similar bikes with the same prize on internet......... try Ebay and search on: campagnolo record in the bike-section, of try 'colnago'. or something

Need your advice again sir...looking at two other options (sorry, none of my pals ride much so I've got no local expertise to tap):

1) TRI BIKE Fastrax Carbon Monoquc frame with carbon fork, full Aero 58cm, by the makers of Bianchi. Dura-Ace derailleurs and shifters, Ultegra brakes and cranks, Ti cog, Syntace Bars. Hed carbon tri spokes. photos upon request This Bike is Light and VERY FAST. $1,900 o.b.o

2)ARGON18 AWAY IS AMUST GO 2500 GET THE BIKE AND THE RACING WHEELS REAR CORIMA WHEEL DISC AND ZIPP 440 FRONT BOTH WITH TUFO TIRES AND SKWERS PLUS 2 SEST MORE OF TIRES THE BIKE IS 58CM TRI GEOMETRY AND FULL ULTEGRA PACKAGE AEROBARS AND ENDSHIFTERS 650 WHEELS PLUS LOTS FO EXTRAS WITH IT
2500 OBO

I have a photos if you think it matters, both bikes have about 3000 km

Thanks!

Originally posted by dowaddings
Need your advice again sir...looking at two other options (sorry, none of my pals ride much so I've got no local expertise to tap):

1) TRI BIKE Fastrax Carbon Monoquc frame with carbon fork, full Aero 58cm, by the makers of Bianchi. Dura-Ace derailleurs and shifters, Ultegra brakes and cranks, Ti cog, Syntace Bars. Hed carbon tri spokes. photos upon request This Bike is Light and VERY FAST. $1,900 o.b.o

2)ARGON18 AWAY IS AMUST GO 2500 GET THE BIKE AND THE RACING WHEELS REAR CORIMA WHEEL DISC AND ZIPP 440 FRONT BOTH WITH TUFO TIRES AND SKWERS PLUS 2 SEST MORE OF TIRES THE BIKE IS 58CM TRI GEOMETRY AND FULL ULTEGRA PACKAGE AEROBARS AND ENDSHIFTERS 650 WHEELS PLUS LOTS FO EXTRAS WITH IT
2500 OBO

I have a photos if you think it matters, both bikes have about 3000 km

Thanks!

Just a general word of caution. There were a few posts awhile back about unbelievable prices on top of the line bikes over the internet. Prices so good that you could buy the bike for about the price of the grouppo. I think someone got burned. I think "Bike shop" was in an eastern European country.

I am the owner of an Opus Vivace 2005 spec'd pretty much the same with carbon chain and seat stays, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels- see http://www.opusbike.com, full Ultegra, carbon seat post, ORA stem and carbon fork, Vittoria rubino pro tires, weight 17.4LB, paid $3200 cdn. This is a Canadian company and the bikes are designed and assembled in Canada, frames made in Taiwan but made well...this is a race bike that is stiff where it needs to be and forgiving via the carbon extensions...it is fast and you can stomp on the sprint without losing much if any of the power, enlarged bottom bracket ensures this...it is a nice light ride with the ability to cover centuries with ease to the body..not harsh..if the bike is in good condition although 2000km is not much. I ride in Canada southern Alberta, in the Rockies, and climb 7000-8000 ft ascents and long rolling road rides which this bike has never let me down..only the rider..
after all it's not about the bike
....good price, perhaps a few hundred less butm it depends how much you like to haggle...

dowaddings said:

2003 Opus Vivace (Columbus Zona tubing with Carbon seat-stays)
Profile BSC Carbon Fork
Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheel Set
Full Ultegra Groupo
Vittoria Rubino Pro Kevlar 700x23C (rear is brand new)
Ritchey Comp Ergo Bar 31.8mm
Ritchey Pro 31.8mm stem
Opus Carbon Post
Salle Italia SLR XP Saddle 185g.

Complete Bike weight 17.0lbs without pedals