rattling cable on top tube

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by peterwright, Mar 10, 2004.

  1. peterwright

    peterwright New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2003
    I have a L/speed Ghisallo with Nokon cables and am suffering from the rattle of the rear brake cable on the top tube. What is the best way to damp this annoying noise ???

    I have put on a few rubber circles but they have all come off over a few weeks.

    Thanks

    Peter

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Cable Silencers (rubber circles) are designed for the job.
    Try a drop of RTV to hold them in place.
    Other methods that I have tried are ugly but effective:
    Foam self adhesive tape under the housing on the top tube or complete wraps of handle-bar tape in the area.

  3. "peterwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a L/speed Ghisallo with Nokon cables and am
    > suffering from the rattle of the rear brake cable on the
    > top tube. What is the best way to damp this annoying
    > noise ???

    Take the black round insulating foam that they use for pipes
    and wrap your top tube in it. Wait, why stop there? Wrap the
    top tube, the down tube, the fork legs, the stem, the stays,
    and your seatpost! Not only will your bike be completely
    immune to theft, it makes a great conversation piece, too!
    Not to mention you can slam your balls into the top tube and
    it won't hurt (as much).

    Or do what I do and tune it out. I'll put rubbers on the
    next time ;)

    Phil

  5. Jeffbonny

    Jeffbonny Guest

    3 or 4 wraps of pvc electrical tape in the middle of the
    exposed noisy cable. Comes in lots of colours and if it
    comes of put more on, it's cheap. The little rubbery cable
    silencers work good and are a little cleaner looking.

    jeffb

  6. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    Yet another example of obsessive weight reduction. The cable
    belongs inside the top tube, where it doesn't snag skin and
    clothing. I think I'd be more than a little miffed with a
    rattle on a $3000 bicycle.

    Bernie

    news:[email protected]...

  7. peterwright <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a L/speed Ghisallo with Nokon cables and am
    > suffering from the rattle of the rear brake cable on the
    > top tube. What is the best way to damp this annoying
    > noise ???
    >
    > I have put on a few rubber circles but they have all come
    > off over a few weeks.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter

    This is an easily solved problem. Any competent bike shop
    will have cable tubing. This is small plastic tubing that
    fits over the exposed cable along the top tube. Or
    chainstays for the derailleur cable. It does not replace the
    actual housing. It just covers the exposed cable in between
    the frames housing stops. Comes in black, white and clear.
    My bike shop charged me a nickel for a 16" length for my top
    tube last week. I believe the link below is the product from
    QBP. No picture. Comes in 30 meter rolls so bike shops can
    have it on hand.

    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=CA2206

  8. Bob Taylor

    Bob Taylor Guest

    Years ago cable housing came with the plastic lining
    separate from the housing itself. This plastic lining is
    still available from Quality Bicycle Products. I just cut a
    piece of the stuff a couple of inches shorter than the
    length of the exposed cable and slip it on when installing a
    new cable. It stops the noise BUT it makes it more difficult
    to lube the cables without dissassembly.

    The other problem is that it comes in rolls of 25 meters (or
    something like that) which is pretty much a lifetime supply.
    A bike shop might have some so they could sell you the short
    piece that you'd need.

    Also, as an earlier responder noted, shrink tubing of an
    appropriate size from Radio Shack will do the job just as
    well and you can buy that by the inch (or foot or
    something).

    Bob

    peterwright <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a L/speed Ghisallo with Nokon cables and am
    > suffering from the rattle of the rear brake cable on the
    > top tube. What is the best way to damp this annoying
    > noise ???
    >
    > I have put on a few rubber circles but they have all come
    > off over a few weeks.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > --

  9. Bob Taylor

    Bob Taylor Guest

    Years ago cable housing came with the plastic lining
    separate from the housing itself. This plastic lining is
    still available from Quality Bicycle Products. I just cut a
    piece of the stuff a couple of inches shorter than the
    length of the exposed cable and slip it on when installing a
    new cable. It stops the noise BUT it makes it more difficult
    to lube the cables without dissassembly.

    The other problem is that it comes in rolls of 25 meters (or
    something like that) which is pretty much a lifetime supply.
    A bike shop might have some so they could sell you the short
    piece that you'd need.

    Also, as an earlier responder noted, shrink tubing of an
    appropriate size from Radio Shack will do the job just as
    well and you can buy that by the inch (or foot or
    something).

    Bob

    peterwright <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a L/speed Ghisallo with Nokon cables and am
    > suffering from the rattle of the rear brake cable on the
    > top tube. What is the best way to damp this annoying
    > noise ???
    >
    > I have put on a few rubber circles but they have all come
    > off over a few weeks.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > --

  10. Jeffbonny

    Jeffbonny Guest

    So "baltobernie" <[email protected]> says:

    >Yet another example of obsessive weight reduction. The
    >cable belongs inside the top tube, where it doesn't snag
    >skin and clothing. I think I'd be more than a little miffed
    >with a rattle on a $3000 bicycle.
    >
    >Bernie

    I strongly disagree. If you route it through the tube how
    you gonna slip the housing to give the cable a quick lube? A
    Retrotech is the only bike I recall having with internal
    routing and it was a pain in the ass (although on that bike
    an essential one.)

    jeffb

  11. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    "jeffbonny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So "baltobernie" <[email protected]> says:
    >
    > >Yet another example of obsessive weight reduction. The
    > >cable belongs
    inside
    > >the top tube, where it doesn't snag skin and clothing. I
    > >think I'd be
    more
    > >than a little miffed with a rattle on a $3000 bicycle.
    > >
    > >Bernie
    >
    > I strongly disagree. If you route it through the tube how
    > you gonna slip the housing to give the cable a quick lube?
    > A Retrotech is the only bike I recall having with internal
    > routing and it was a pain in the ass (although on that
    > bike an essential one.)
    >
    > jeffb

    The framebuilder brazes an internal conduit of (usually
    stainless) tubing, whose internal diameter is only a few
    thousandths larger than the OD of a sheathed cable. Thus the
    cable remains sheathed from lever to caliper, and of course
    the whole cable can be easily inserted into the top tube.
    Two fewer points of entry for gunk to get between the cable
    and housing, and it looks very elegant, but requires some
    craftsmanship and probably adds a entire ounce to the bike.

    Bernie (remove numerals to Reply)

  12. Jeffbonny

    Jeffbonny Guest

    So "baltobernie" <[email protected]> says:

    >The framebuilder brazes an internal conduit of (usually
    >stainless) tubing, whose internal diameter is only a few
    >thousandths larger than the OD of a sheathed cable. Thus
    >the cable remains sheathed from lever to caliper, and of
    >course the whole cable can be easily inserted into the top
    >tube. Two fewer points of entry for gunk to get between
    >the cable and housing, and it looks very elegant, but
    >requires some craftsmanship and probably adds a entire
    >ounce to the bike.

    I understand the concept and agree it looks clean and has
    some practical advantages but having exposed shifter cable
    makes it easier to do the quickie maintenance lubes
    essential with modern index shifting.

    jeffb

  13. Baltobernie

    Baltobernie Guest

    "jeffbonny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So "baltobernie" <[email protected]> says:
    > >
    > >The framebuilder brazes an internal conduit of (usually
    > >stainless)
    tubing,
    > >whose internal diameter is only a few thousandths larger
    > >than the OD of a sheathed cable. Thus the cable remains
    > >sheathed from lever to caliper,
    and
    > >of course the whole cable can be easily inserted into the
    > >top tube. Two fewer points of entry for gunk to get
    > >between the cable and housing, and
    it
    > >looks very elegant, but requires some craftsmanship and
    > >probably adds a entire ounce to the bike.
    > >
    > I understand the concept and agree it looks clean and has
    > some practical advantages but having exposed shifter cable
    > makes it easier to do the quickie maintenance lubes
    > essential with modern index shifting.
    >
    > jeffb

    If the cable is continuously housed along its entire length,
    would it not require less cleaning and lubrication? That's
    been the case with my Campy 8-speed; once every couple of
    thousand miles. I do have the little accordion bootie on the
    rear D, but I'm not sure of its prophylactic value.

    But .... whatever works for you (even if its Shimano)

    Bernie chores done today: riding tomorrow

  14. Jeffbonny

    Jeffbonny Guest

    So "baltobernie" <[email protected]> says:

    >If the cable is continuously housed along its entire
    >length, would it not require less cleaning and
    >lubrication? That's been the case with my Campy 8-speed;
    >once every couple of thousand miles. I do have the little
    >accordion bootie on the rear D, but I'm not sure of its
    >prophylactic value.

    You might have a point.

    >But .... whatever works for you (even if its Shimano)

    Ahhh, I see now. You're talking real components and I was
    thinking more in terms of making Shimano work...

    Shimano is one reason I went to single speeds. I did give in
    to convenience an put on some XTR brakes and levers but they
    work well.

    jeffb