Rattling in the front fork

Ron338

Feb 7, 2004
I have a Cannondale R800. I recently tracked down a rattling sound to the front forks. There is something sliding around inside the forks. Took it to the local bike shop, mechanic thought it might be some glue that had broken loose inside. He suggested trying to get some glue inside the forks thru the weep holes to try and secure the debris inside; however, the weep holes do not go all the way inside the forks (I probed them with a paperclip, and the clip hits a stoppage about 3/4" inside the weep holes). Does anyone have any helpful suggestions here of how to fix this, short of buying a new fork?

Why can't the fork be taken off and inspected? maybe taking it off and tipping it upside down and shaking it will cause whatever it is to fall out. Maybe the intergrated headset, if you have one of those, the headset cartridge bearings were not installed correctly or were not maintained properly and damaged part of the headtube causing it to flake a small piece off into the fork or a bearing somehow fell off the headset and is in the fork. The LBS should have removed and inspected the fork, headset cartridge and it's bearings and headtube for damage and check for roundness with a caliper. If it was misaligned the bearings could cause wear, a small oscillation or a large stress movement which tears metal from the races at the points where the balls rest which could deposit the metal into the fork. Again this is why it should have been removed and inspected...both the fork and frame.

Could be from the manufacture end too, where in production something got inside, but again they needed to remove the fork and inspect.

By the way this is all guess work on my part, I'm not there to look at it, but common sense tells me they should have taken the fork off and inspected everything.

Actually, I took the fork off myself and took it in to the bike shop. There are no openings anywhere in the fork that something can get inside (the fork blades do not open into the steering tube, so there's no way anything could transfer from there steering tube into the fork blades). There is nothing wrong with the fork or the steering tube, other than there is some sort of debris inside the fork blades that is rattling around.

That's really strange, I've never heard of that before. I would then assume that the debris came during production and is probably harmless.