RD-6500-SS work with 10sp chain?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by whrslshr, Jan 1, 2006.

1. whrslshr

whrslshr New Member

I am upgrading to a 10sp and I was wondering if my current rear derailer 6500 (short cage) with work with a SRAM 10seed chain and the new cassette. I am upgrading my crankset, shifters, front derailer, and cassette (obviously). Hoping to save a little cash if I can :)

John

BTW, I am already using the short cage derailer with my triple crank...just took out a few links on my chain and it worked great.

Tags:

2. darcipage

darcipage New Member

Yes, I think the 6500 will work fine, the brand usually doesnt matter, but the total capacity does. The chain is thinner, but I don't think that will matter.

3. John M

John M New Member

Yes, the chain will work OK with that RD. As you probably are aware, the short cage RD will work fine if you don't go onto the large rear cogs while on the large chainring since the chain may be too short.

4. whrslshr

whrslshr New Member

I guess it goes without saying that the RD will also work with the 10sp cassette?

I haven't noticed any problems going to the large rear cogs while on the large chainring but then again I've only done that when the bike was on the repair stand...I never use that combination when riding rather I drop down to the middle chainring.

John