RD cable stop in weird location?

rparedes

Jul 21, 2007
Most road bike frames I've seen have the RD cable stop located on the bottom of the chainstay. I am currently looking at ordering a carbon frame that has it mounted on the chainstay side (I worry it may hit my right heel when pedaling); unfortunately I can not try it since it's overseas...

Are there many frames that share this characteristic? Isn't kinda weird to have it on side?
Is it possible to move it?

This is a first. I haven't ever seen a cable stop mounted on the side of a chainstay. Top and bottom but not on the side. I doubt that your heel will hit it. There is pretty good clearance between the heel and where the cable stop should be mounted. Your heel should pass in front of the stop. Anyway, think back and try to remember if you have ever hit the chainstay with your heel. I think you'll be OK. About moving it, it can be done but it may be highly impractical and extremely expensive, especially if the bike frame is CF or aluminum. If it is steel or Ti, you are looking at getting a master welder and extensive refinishing. Any welder could accomplish the job but a master welder would be needed to do it without deforming the frame.

If you would hit your chain stay on your drive side you would be hitting your chain also. I doubt this would be a problem for your heel.
It is an odd routing though.

Post a pic of the offending cable stop. I've never seen such a thing. What bike do you have?

My right foot has a "toes out" motion... I occasionally hit the chainstay on my other two bikes (my shoes always have a slight wear spot on the right inside heel) I've tried to increase the Q factor on my pedals but "knee savers" don't work on my DuraAce pedals
here is a photo the manufacturer sent me:

Try putting a washer between your pedal and crank arm if you're worried about your foot hitting the chain stay.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Try putting a washer between your pedal and crank arm if you're worried about your foot hitting the chain stay.
I contacted manufacturer, they will change location of RD cable stop so that it's on the bottom. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
Just have to wait a couple of weeks...

Thanks for the input!