RD pivot kit

artemidorus

Mar 10, 2004
I've an old Deore DX RD with a pretty sloppy B pivot - I presume that the bush is worn. Shifting has got pretty imprecise. Does anyone know whether a modern Shimano B pivot replacement kit is like to fit this 1990-1992 era derailleur?

artemidorus said:
I've an old Deore DX RD with a pretty sloppy B pivot - I presume that the bush is worn. Shifting has got pretty imprecise. Does anyone know whether a modern Shimano B pivot replacement kit is like to fit this 1990-1992 era derailleur?
FWIW. My impression, which may not be correct, is that the pivots which use a 5mm Allen Wrench are interchangeable ... so, you can cannibalize one from almost any (well, not the really cheap ones -- e.g., 7-speed Mega-type) other Shimano rear derailleur to test the assembly before buying a replacement (which may cost almost as much as a new rear derailleur).

The actual part that has the B-screw seems to vary ever so slightly in thickness from model to model (there are probably only two-or-three thicknesses) whereby one may be just so-much-thicker that slipping the C-clip on is all but impossible.

As with ALL C-clips, the one that holds the pivot can be a bit tedious to deal with ... more so in this instance since the assembly is spring loaded.

The older pivots which used a 6mm Allen Wrench may not be the same.