Re: 1/2% milk - CA - yes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Carol In WI, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Carol In WI

    Carol In WI Guest

    I drink skim and the hubby drinks 1%, I've never heard of 1/2%. Carol In WI

    Tags:

  2. PENMART01 wrote:

    > > "Carol In WI" lactates:
    > >
    > >I drink skim and the hubby drinks 1%, I've never heard of 1/2%. Carol In WI

    > Um, skim milk is 1/2% or less.
    >
    > milk
    > Milk is available in many varieties. Whole milk is the milk just as it came
    > from the cow and contains about 3 1/2 percent milk fat. Lowfat milk comes in
    > two basic types: 2 percent , meaning 98 percent of the fat has been removed;

    Nonsense. 2% milk is milk with 2% milk fat, not milk with 98% of the fat
    removed.

    > and 1 percent , which is 99 percent fat-free.

    This use of x% fat free is really absurd although it is used commonly in
    advertisements for low fat products, or supposedly low fat products. You
    could advertise whole milk as 96% fat free, obviously not a low fat
    product.

    --

    Personally, I believe that 9/11 should have taught us the lesson that we
    can't let these countries simmer endlessly in disillusionment without

  3. nancree

    nancree Guest

    "Lowfat milk comes in
    > two basic types: 2 percent , meaning 98 percent of the fat has been

    removed;

    Nonsense. 2% milk is milk with 2% milk fat, not milk with 98% of the
    fat
    removed.

    This use of x% fat free is really absurd although it is used commonly
    in
    advertisements for low fat products, or supposedly low fat products.
    You
    could advertise whole milk as 96% fat free, obviously not a low fat
    product."
    The same tricky labeling is used with coffee. De-Caf is advertised as
    97% caffeine free. Well, coffee beans are already 96 % caffeine free.
    So you're saving yourself a little caffeine, but not much.
    Nancree

  4. Default User

    Default User Guest

    nancree wrote:

    > The same tricky labeling is used with coffee. De-Caf is advertised

    as
    > 97% caffeine free. Well, coffee beans are already 96 % caffeine

    free.
    > So you're saving yourself a little caffeine, but not much.

    That's not true. Regular coffee has somewhere in the range of 100-200
    milligrams of caffeine per cup (depending on brewing methods), decaf
    around 5-10.

    Brian