Re: 1% treadmill incline setting = flat outdoor running?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Harold Buck, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (John B.) wrote:

    > I run regularly on a TM at 1% and I run regularly outside. My sense is
    > that outside is still harder. I can pretty easily do four 8-min. miles
    > on the TM @ 1%. I can't quite match that outside. I'm not sure why.
    > Hills? Wind? Heat and humidity? Fear of being passed by women (GOD, I
    > HATE that!)?

    It's worse in a triathlon, when you see women from an age group older
    than yours passing you and you know their wave started 15 minutes AFTER
    yours did. :)

    It's a good thing I have a healthy perspective and know that I'm not
    supposed to be faster just because I'm a man.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

    Tags:

  2. serg

    serg Guest

    well, you don't have to push your leg back on the TM...

    "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (John B.) wrote:
    >
    > > I run regularly on a TM at 1% and I run regularly outside. My sense is
    > > that outside is still harder. I can pretty easily do four 8-min. miles
    > > on the TM @ 1%. I can't quite match that outside. I'm not sure why.
    > > Hills? Wind? Heat and humidity? Fear of being passed by women (GOD, I
    > > HATE that!)?

    > It's worse in a triathlon, when you see women from an age group older
    > than yours passing you and you know their wave started 15 minutes AFTER
    > yours did. :)
    >
    > It's a good thing I have a healthy perspective and know that I'm not
    > supposed to be faster just because I'm a man.
    >
    > --Harold Buck
    >

    > "I used to rock and roll all night,
    > and party every day.
    > Then it was every other day. . . ."
    > -Homer J. Simpson

  3. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (John B.) wrote:
    >
    > > I run regularly on a TM at 1% and I run regularly outside. My sense is
    > > that outside is still harder. I can pretty easily do four 8-min. miles
    > > on the TM @ 1%. I can't quite match that outside.

    Have you calibrated your treadmill?

    Andy Coggan