Re: 10-speed Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Qui si parla Campagnolo, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. Steve Sr. wrote:
    > I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
    > real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
    > bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
    > only, no wheels.
    >
    > Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
    > that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
    > their higher end groups. What do you think?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    I would not spend any money on DA 9s...for the triple. In )ctober, 10s
    will come out and you find diffuculty in the future finding DA 9s stuff.

    PLUS DA 9s levers, particularly the right one, is NOT the most reliable,
    lomg lasting thing out there.

    Be sure to find a good wrench to install it all as the DA 9s and ultegra
    10s triple is finnicky, to say the least.

    Might look at Centaur/Chorus for some really reliable triple stuff.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Pietro Chisholmo wrote:

    > Steve Sr. wrote:
    >
    >> I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
    >> real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
    >> bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
    >> only, no wheels.
    >> Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
    >> that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
    >> their higher end groups. What do you think?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Steve

    > I would not spend any money on DA 9s...for the triple. In )ctober, 10s
    > will come out and you find diffuculty in the future finding DA 9s stuff.
    >
    > PLUS DA 9s levers, particularly the right one, is NOT the most reliable,
    > lomg lasting thing out there.
    >
    > Be sure to find a good wrench to install it all as the DA 9s and ultegra
    > 10s triple is finnicky, to say the least.
    >
    > Might look at Centaur/Chorus for some really reliable triple stuff.

    However, with 9-speed Shimano there is the option to use MTB derailleurs
    and cassettes.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

  3. Tom Sherman wrote:
    > Pietro Chisholmo wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Sr. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
    >>> real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
    >>> bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
    >>> only, no wheels.
    >>> Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
    >>> that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
    >>> their higher end groups. What do you think?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> I would not spend any money on DA 9s...for the triple. In )ctober, 10s
    >> will come out and you find diffuculty in the future finding DA 9s stuff.
    >>
    >> PLUS DA 9s levers, particularly the right one, is NOT the most
    >> reliable, lomg lasting thing out there.
    >>
    >> Be sure to find a good wrench to install it all as the DA 9s and
    >> ultegra 10s triple is finnicky, to say the least.
    >>
    >> Might look at Centaur/Chorus for some really reliable triple stuff.

    > However, with 9-speed Shimano there is the option to use MTB derailleurs
    > and cassettes.

    Well, with the 13-29 option of Campagnolo and long cages, something that
    no road shimano der has, I have often changed the freehub of a Campag
    hub to a shimano compatible one, added a long cage der, and then a
    11-34, say.

    BTW-starting in October, with DA 10s triple, no mas MTB rear cogs. SINCE
    DA 10s is NOT compatible with shimano 9s cogs, even tho Campag 10s IS...