Re: 10-speed Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Sherman, Mar 30, 2005.

  1. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Peter Chisholm wrote:

    > As for the crank, I think the ALUMINUM crank of either Chorus and
    > Record, at MUCH less $ than DA or ultegra, with a really simple, very
    > effective proven BB design is the way to go. SO MANY are swayed by the
    > outside of the BB bearing crank, which answerts no \question, solves no
    > problem with regard to the square taper BB/crank setup. PLEASE don't
    > claim it is stiffer...it is when tested by a gorilla machine that exerts
    > much more force than any human....

    Peter,

    Are you saying that Chalo Colina is not human?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Peter Chisholm wrote:

    >> As for the crank, I think the ALUMINUM crank of either Chorus and
    >> Record, at MUCH less $ than DA or ultegra, with a really simple, very
    >> effective proven BB design is the way to go. SO MANY are swayed by the
    >> outside of the BB bearing crank, which answerts no \question, solves no
    >> problem with regard to the square taper BB/crank setup. PLEASE don't
    >> claim it is stiffer...it is when tested by a gorilla machine that exerts
    >> much more force than any human....

    >Peter,
    >
    >Are you saying that Chalo Colina is not human?

    I think we've been intimating that for years... his size alone pretty
    much disqualifies him.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Peter Chisholm wrote:

    > >> As for the crank, I think the ALUMINUM crank of either Chorus and
    > >> Record, at MUCH less $ than DA or ultegra, with a really simple, very
    > >> effective proven BB design is the way to go. SO MANY are swayed by the
    > >> outside of the BB bearing crank, which answerts no \question, solves no
    > >> problem with regard to the square taper BB/crank setup. PLEASE don't
    > >> claim it is stiffer...it is when tested by a gorilla machine that exerts
    > >> much more force than any human....

    > >Peter,
    > >
    > >Are you saying that Chalo Colina is not human?

    > I think we've been intimating that for years... his size alone pretty
    > much disqualifies him.

    It's getting cold in here!

    But...equipment which is designed for Chalo's size and power is likely
    to be overdesigned for the majority of cyclists. He's so big and strong
    that he (or possibly Shaquille O'Neal, who is known to have a really big
    custom mountain bike) personally may be the extreme limit of size and
    strength among serious cyclists.

    Put more bluntly, there may be heavier cyclists than Chalo, but they're
    probably riding a lot less vigorously than him.

    Below average,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.