Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: 110 crank trial

Started by bfd · · Last activity · 3 posts · 635 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
5 June 2005
Last activity
6 June 2005
Original author
bfd
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
635
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Chris M" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On a Campag drivetrain, are there any aluminum compact cranks that will
    not require a new bottom bracket? I have no problem with CF but I want
    to keep it < $200 USD. I saw the Bontrager compact with BB for $200 and
    a Ritchey for $149 that would require a new BB.

    Any ideas? I like the Stronglight models but I don't know if any
    dealers in California.


    Good silver cranks are hard to find. What you want for "<$200" is the Sugino
    XD double. Two sources:

    1. in Berkeley, CA, Jitensha sells it for $120 (scroll down):

    http://www.jitensha.com/eng/miscparts_e.html

    2. or Andy Muzi at Yellow Jersey modifies the Sugino XD triple here:

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/crankcut.html

  2. bfd said:

    "Chris M" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On a Campag drivetrain, are there any aluminum compact cranks that will
    not require a new bottom bracket? I have no problem with CF but I want
    to keep it < $200 USD. I saw the Bontrager compact with BB for $200 and
    a Ritchey for $149 that would require a new BB.

    Any ideas? I like the Stronglight models but I don't know if any
    dealers in California.


    Good silver cranks are hard to find. What you want for "<$200" is the Sugino
    XD double. Two sources:

    Sugino cranks are an imperfect fit on Campy bottom brackets. I have the
    opposite- Campy crank on Sugino BB. The crank does not go onto the BB
    spindle as far as it should. But since it's on a recumbent, I'm not
    worried about standing on the pedals.

    If you didn't mind mongrelizing your bike, you could set up something
    with older MTB cranks and chainrings. A good start (if you like 175mm
    arms) are these on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7161015985
    With chainrings and BB, your should still be able to come in under
    $200.

    Or you could use one of the cheaper triples and remove the inner
    chainring to make a double:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks.html#11074

    Jeff

    Jeff

  3. bfd said:


    "Chris M" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On a Campag drivetrain, are there any aluminum compact cranks that will
    not require a new bottom bracket? I have no problem with CF but I want
    to keep it < $200 USD. I saw the Bontrager compact with BB for $200 and
    a Ritchey for $149 that would require a new BB.

    Any ideas? I like the Stronglight models but I don't know if any
    dealers in California.


    Good silver cranks are hard to find. What you want for "<$200" is the Sugino
    XD double. Two sources:

    1. in Berkeley, CA, Jitensha sells it for $120 (scroll down):

    http://www.jitensha.com/eng/miscparts_e.html

    2. or Andy Muzi at Yellow Jersey modifies the Sugino XD triple here:

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/crankcut.html

    Another option is to _not_ modify the XD triple, just use it as a double.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The
    _`\(,_ | common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance,
    (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my
    trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my
    business!" --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.